Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:06 AM

924 posts, read 2,227,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Is it that difficult to tell the bracelet lady that she is a huge annoying pest?
She's a manager now. Think about the implications...

Old 06-14-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Here is how to tactfully do this.

Approach her. Ask if you can talk to her for a minute.

"I am sorry if we got off on the wrong foot before. That was not my intention. I suffer from "XXXXX", which is an inner ear blah blah blah. Sounds that normally dont affect anyone really affect my inner ear. Thats why I asked before about your bracelet. I was wondering, when I am here, if you could remove it, as when it bangs against your desk, XXXXXX....
Good script, finally someone's got the right idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Or, if maybe you could help me get my seat moved, that also may help me out, as this area is loud anyways....XXX"
Alas, there are no more moves, but what I can mention is that one of the reasons I moved to a quieter spot before is because
1)
2)
3) oh and by the way your bracelet....

Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,677,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Update! Things are going a little better with bracelet woman. I knew I had to do something to butter her up before I make my move (asking her to remove the awfully loud chain from her wrist) . After I kept saying bye to her last week with no reply, she finally greeted me and said hi today when exceptionally she came in on her day off.
Then I asked her, hey it's your day off...don't you have anything fun to do? To which she replied, I have so much work!
I then asked do you still go to the gym?
Suddenly she got slightly defensive asking, why?
To which I replied, well when I used to sit near you, you used to talk about that all the time.
Then she replied, nahhh I'm too busy...but soon I won't even fit in the chair. LOL, referring to the size of her butt.
She then asked me if I do any sports...and I go yeah some... she asks which ones, do you cycle?
I answer, well I should...I need to get a helmet...and my current bike is kind of crappy with the chain that greases up my pants all the time..

She replies, why do you need a helmet? I see plenty of people on the bike paths without them. Then I say well I almost saw an accident this morning (by the way, amazingly I was able to arrive before noon for the first time in ages) right at the corner (outside our office building) when a motorist was turning left into the path of the cyclist who had to stop suddenly and yelled out, hey! And besides, public security in this neighborhood I go through on my way to the office gives tickets to riders without them.
To that she had no comeback.

Hmmm, things are looking up and I'm actually starting to get used to the new seat. There are more noises and distractions than I care for including echoing noise from a mall below (don't ask)... plus my supervisor is a couple of desks away... Now the question is, when will I pop the BIG question?
The big question.....DO YOU WANT TO BE FACEBOOK FRIENDS!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 PM

I IMed the manager today asking if he still wanted to see me to talk about the seating arrangement. He said yes. I see him and strangely, he says: I just want to let you know you have a new seat. Huh? My supervisor already told me last week...and I've been sitting there for a while.
Anyway, I briefly told him there are pros and cons of sitting in the path of entering and exiting people (near a door)...but one thing that is apparent is that I am next to/near not one, not two, but three supervisors. Nowhere to hide and when I show up, I have to open a door, so everyone knows I've arrived. So much for sneaking in unnoticed.

The manager did have an idea for me though. Get noise cancelling headphones. He said a former executive had that too. (a guy who spammed everyone touting his personal financial services consultancy once....I wonder if he got reprimanded for that?)

Well as far as I'm concerned, there are 5 options:
1. get pink noise sound therapy audio, on CD or something
2. make an appointment with an audiologist who specializes in treating hyperacusis
3. talk to the bracelet woman once and for all (I'm looking for the right moment...)
4. get noise cancelling headphones and possibly wear the earplugs too...wow then it would be total silence...
5. grin and bear it, then rant here

Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,677,650 times
Yeah but I want to know if you are FACE BOOK FRIENDS! That would be totally and wonderfully cool with all the endless stress they are making you go through for no reason other than you being sick and ill. You poor disabled woman and they are taking total advantage of a sickly ill person who is on a walker....jeez! Anyway I just hope you are ok and I want to know if it is your time of the month and if that is why you are so full of boundless emotions that are coming at you and us one after another. Stay strong sister!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,821,934 times
All well and good, except for one salient point.

VAW is male

(then again, maybe you think this is humour - who knows)

Old 06-15-2010, 06:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Quote:

Well as far as I'm concerned, there are 5 options:
1. get pink noise sound therapy audio, on CD or something
2. make an appointment with an audiologist who specializes in treating hyperacusis
3. talk to the bracelet woman once and for all (I'm looking for the right moment...)
4. get noise cancelling headphones and possibly wear the earplugs too...wow then it would be total silence...
5. grin and bear it, then rant here
6. Start looking for another job.

It's easier to find employment when you already have a job, not so easy after you're fired.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
6. Start looking for another job.
After considering my options, I'm actually thinking of staying at least until the end of the summer or until I secure a new apartment. I just have to deal with the noise issue. The new scheduling challenges can be overcome...I've learned that I must adapt to the new morning starts, otherwise risk being fired. I talked to the manager yesterday who indicated he did not agree with my supervisor's recent decisions to have me come in at 5pm (HR didn't like the late endings either, apparently), and have other teams' CSRs help our customer group, as it negatively affected our team's productivity and quality. My "open" tickets were left until the end of the day, a few other tickets were simply closed by colleagues without even answering the customers I think that was done out of protest - but I reported these incidents to my supervisor, offering to correct the situations, and she thanked me for it.

The manager actually wants me to come in earlier, not later. In fact, after talking with him yesterday, he told me that for the summer, he's going to rely on his current resources (i.e. current team members) and wait to hire a new full timer later. Our corporate web site does have a posting for a new CSR and they're seeking someone with (ideally) a business, translation, or languages degree, ideally fluent in 2 languages (English, Spanish) + another European speaking language like German as an asset. Plus they want someone who has advanced MS Office knowledge, especially Excel. The manager also told me how he was disappointed the new hire didn't work out (if she had remained past the training I would not have had full time hours now).
I told him that with the recent decision to make me full time and changes others' schedules so that our team is now offering round the clock service (two of our team members are actually working remotely from overseas), we should see significant improvements in productivity and reduction in response times. His goal is for us to answer more customers within 4 hours of receiving their email, while in the past answering within 24 hours was deemed okay. They are really focused on metrics these days, coming with weekly stats reports.

Furthermore, he wants someone who can reliably do 7am-3pm, a true early bird. He says that early mornings is where our team is currently lacking and that's what the General Manager wants. Conclusion? I don't think I'll be there long term...I just don't have the profile they're looking for (degree, language and other skills). But I can't really complain that I actually have a job and that it's now full time...so maybe I should be thankful for once.

Last edited by ValueAddedWorker; 06-15-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It's easier to find employment when you already have a job, not so easy after you're fired.
That's true. If you're valuable enough for one employer to at least tolerate you, that's seen as more attractive than someone who's unemployed. I guess that's why attractive married men get more attention from the ladies than single ones.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Quote:
That's true. If you're valuable enough for one employer to at least tolerate you, that's seen as more attractive than someone who's unemployed. I guess that's why attractive married men get more attention from the ladies than single ones.
First sentence obviously true, always has been true and is nothing new so presumably you WILL be looking for a new position? Last sentence total nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.