Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:36 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times

Advertisements

Guess what, today my manager came by my cubicle and announced that a colleague and I were being expropriated back to our original seating areas, apparently because a supervisor in another adjacent apartment wants the space. The thing is, I fought long and hard with management to move me to where I'm sitting now due to various factors that negatively influenced my health and productivity in the area I used to sit in.
Some of the main problems were noisy colleagues, a noisy copier, being next to the lunchroom and to top it off, I have this sensitive hearing condition whereby the sound flooding from peoples' headphones (they actually provide CSRs with them) triggers pain and irritation, requiring me to wear filtering earplugs, otherwise face pain all day long.
Now the thing is, my CS colleagues in the original area were loud and inconsiderate, some of them setting their cell phone ringers to loud, instead of silent or vibrate...and I took it all the way to management and HR.

Anyway, I really don't want to go back to that area...where I'm sitting now is quieter, there's less sound to irritate my ears and I've got the benefit of independence, away from management's eagle eyes. But it seems I have no choice, because according to the manager, she wants me to move back to the noisy area within the next 1-2 weeks. This blows. I feel like they just think about their own needs (now they'll be able to spy on me even more) , not mine....and that any progress made is poof! gone...

I'm starting to think it's time to start looking again....because if a manager is willing to put an employee's health at risk, then I don't know if I can take it. My stress levels will surely sky rocket...and in other news I heard the second position I'm gunning for is up in the air again, plus the hourly rate is lower than expected. Hmmm

Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
I need you to state your exact health condition, otherwise, I can't give you an honest opinion. I am really starting to wonder if you just are a chronic complainer.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
The problem with your argument is that you want to be away from management, and the noise environment comes across as a convenient excuse.

Suppose the situation were reversed -- management is on the quiet side, not on the noisy side? Where would you prefer to sit?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
you dont like them do you.
that is why they want you to leave.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,012 times
Sounds like you have a really hard life...

Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I need you to state your exact health condition, otherwise, I can't give you an honest opinion. I am really starting to wonder if you just are a chronic complainer.
Hyperacusis + tinnitus.

Hyperacusis (also spelled hyperacousis) is a health condition characterized by an over-sensitivity to certain frequency ranges of sound (a collapsed tolerance to normal environmental sound). A person with severe hyperacusis has difficulty tolerating everyday sounds, some of which may seem unpleasantly loud to that person but not to others.

Anxiety, stress, and/or phonophobia may be present in both types of hyperacusis. Someone with either form of hyperacusis may develop avoidant behavior in order to try to avoid a stressful sound situation or to avoid embarrassing themselves in a social situation that might involve noise. A person suffering from hyperacusis might be startled by very low sound levels.

Tinnitus (pronounced /tɪˈnaɪtəs/ or /ˈtɪnɪtəs/,[1] from the Latin word tinnītus meaning "ringing"[2]) is the perception of sound within the human ear in the absence of corresponding external sound. innitus can be perceived in one or both ears or in the head. It is usually described as a ringing noise, but in some patients it takes the form of a high pitched whining, buzzing, hissing, screaming, humming, tinging or whistling sound, or as ticking, clicking, roaring, "crickets" or "tree frogs" or "locusts," tunes, songs, beeping, or even a pure steady tone like heard in a hearing test.[

Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Guess what, today my manager came by my cubicle and announced that a colleague and I were being expropriated back to our original seating areas, apparently because a supervisor in another adjacent apartment wants the space. The thing is, I fought long and hard with management to move me to where I'm sitting now due to various factors that negatively influenced my health and productivity in the area I used to sit in.
Some of the main problems were noisy colleagues, a noisy copier, being next to the lunchroom and to top it off, I have this sensitive hearing condition whereby the sound flooding from peoples' headphones (they actually provide CSRs with them) triggers pain and irritation, requiring me to wear filtering earplugs, otherwise face pain all day long.
Now the thing is, my CS colleagues in the original area were loud and inconsiderate, some of them setting their cell phone ringers to loud, instead of silent or vibrate...and I took it all the way to management and HR.

Anyway, I really don't want to go back to that area...where I'm sitting now is quieter, there's less sound to irritate my ears and I've got the benefit of independence, away from management's eagle eyes. But it seems I have no choice, because according to the manager, she wants me to move back to the noisy area within the next 1-2 weeks. This blows. I feel like they just think about their own needs (now they'll be able to spy on me even more) , not mine....and that any progress made is poof! gone...

I'm starting to think it's time to start looking again....because if a manager is willing to put an employee's health at risk, then I don't know if I can take it. My stress levels will surely sky rocket...and in other news I heard the second position I'm gunning for is up in the air again, plus the hourly rate is lower than expected. Hmmm
Your post indicates to me that you are obsessed with the notion of being "spied upon". My guess is that you are spending too much time on the internet during work hours and you know it. And so does your manager.

He is probably moving you closer to keep an eye on your online-time. Most likely you have cut your own throat on this one by not working hard when you should have been.

You play. You pay.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Rent the movie "Office Space".

And get a stapler.

This is why I couldn't take an office job. Here is a good cubicle, it comes with a view to die for.

Pay is crap at first though.
Attached Thumbnails
Enough's enough! Are they trying to get me to quit?-cockpit.jpg  

Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
You are the biggest drama queen ever. You take everything to HR. Its a miracle you haven't been fired yet. I've certainly known people who were over less.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Your post indicates to me that you are obsessed with the notion of being "spied upon". My guess is that you are spending too much time on the internet during work hours and you know it. And so does your manager.
20yrsinBranson
That is so way off base, I won't even comment further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment