Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

In my opinion the wage chart above doesn't have so much to do with whether you have a college degree so much if you're stupid or lazy.
It would also be interesting to see a break-down of wages independent or including a degree but based on IQ range. Or other factors.

Also the chart obviously includes all the graduating classes of bygone years - many of those high wage earners hold jobs because of degrees they obtained in 1970 or 1980 when everyone didn't go to college and college wasn't yet dumbed down as much.

What you tell the class of 2014 might very well be different than what you told someone for the class of 1975 because times are changing, career trends are changing, tuition costs are radically different.

Before if getting a liberal arts degree set you back maybe $5000 it was different but you aren't going to tell a kid now to get any degree at all even if it takes going in debt $40,000 or more.

The fact is there are people graduating from college now who will carry their debts their whole working lifetimes and even bankrupcy doesn't wipe out college student loans. They may even have bigger paychecks some day - but how much will be garnished from their bigger checks to pay for the debt they took on?

And if you fail to make your payments, your credit can be destroyed, making it difficult to invest in a house or obtain any future loans.

What I would advise is to get a job and work on getting a degree also but be careful of the field and job chances. Avoid getting into debt. Two years at a community college, living at home and commuting can save a lot of money.

Work part time or full time, work extra in the summer - don't just take on debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 03:18 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Fire Sprinkler Inspector Jobs | Indeed.com=

39 jobs? Type in pharmacist.
I did and got 112 jobs.

But take this job in Rhode Island (http://jobview.monster.com/GetJob.aspx?JobID=88642742&from=indeed - broken link).

But here's where the little secret comes in. The job "Must have NICET II certification in testing & inspections of water-based systems.​" so if everyone who was qualified in the state of Rhode Island applied how many people do you suppose would show up?

Let's check the registry (as of October, 2009).

Quote:
RHODE ISLAND
Bartsch, Kedric P Cranston 123020 I
Dias, Kenneth P South Kingstown 125199 I
Farrell, Gordon R Barrington 115647 II
Figgins, David E. Narragansett 92642 III

Morgan, James M Cranston 123742 I
There's only five people on the registry and of that only two meet the basic qualification of having Level II or above. When making application I do not believe you'll be faced with a winding line of applicants two blocks long. Truth is they will be lucky to get a single qualified applicant.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Make money using your God given talents then you'll have a job you will enjoy!
My daughter graduates this Friday She will be majoring in Fine Arts but she already has a little business growing where she airbrushes her cool designs or whatever the client wants unto tshirts and canvas shoes! She has been developing quite a following. I told her she should also major in business since the art part comes naturally. Use your nogging to make some green.
That is very cool. Art was my first love. I was in AP art all throgh high school, won awards in many local and regional shows, and even did some commission work in high school. Majored in fine art for one semester in college and then changed majors and walked away form art. So many of my friends were 'starving artists' that it scared me from dumping money into an education in it. To this day I question if I did the riht thing. I miss being an artist. Now everything is done on computers and that has discouraged me from trying to get back into it.

Grats to your daughter, I think she is one of the few that the field works out for.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:32 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
Oh yeah here's another piece of advice: don't rush into marraige. Take your sweet time on that one!

Old 06-13-2010, 05:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,690,836 times
Best Advice: Get everything in writing!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:02 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,326 times
Pharmacist Jobs | Indeed.com=

I found 40 thousand.

NICET certification in testing & inspections of water-based systems, is interesting. I looked at the registry from '09. That was interesting too. Some states had a few.thers like Florida had a HUGE amount of inspectors. Especially when compared to a large state like CA. I believe Georgia may have had more as well. And Maine only had two. Both level 1? Who do they work for in the state of Maine? I'm assuming for a contractor until they get enough time under their belts to test for a 2 and 3 cert.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,373,611 times
Make your avocation your vocation and don't worry about the money. Watch out for people's alternate agendas. Skim 15% and bury it in a sealskin pouch in the backyard. Maintain five passports in four different names from three different countries. Everyone else is.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Pharmacist Jobs | Indeed.com=

I found 40 thousand.

NICET certification in testing & inspections of water-based systems, is interesting. I looked at the registry from '09. That was interesting too. Some states had a few.thers like Florida had a HUGE amount of inspectors. Especially when compared to a large state like CA. I believe Georgia may have had more as well. And Maine only had two. Both level 1? Who do they work for in the state of Maine? I'm assuming for a contractor until they get enough time under their belts to test for a 2 and 3 cert.
The requirements depend on state laws.

NICET started 50 years ago to replace two programs that are now defunct and mostly having to do with testing construction materials like concrete.

Over the years they added programs In the mid 70's they added sprinkler layout and design and the first state to recognize it was Texas which is why Texas has so many certified in that area. One thing to remember while looking at the registry is the lower the registration number the older the certificate holder is likely to be.

Nearly everyone with a number <70000 is retirement age. The youngest to take the test was probably 25, he took the test in 1978 which would place him 57 or older. Most likely older and many much older.

I know a number who keep their certificate up but are retired. The oldest I know is 86 and he is still working.

Over the past 30 plus years most, but not all, states have adopted the requirement for NICET but Maine is one of the few that haven't.

Some states, like California, do not require it but many local jurisdictions do like Santa Clara for a High Piled Storage Permit

Quote:
IMPORTANT: Include in the permit submittal package two (2) sets of scaled plans, this application, appropriate fees, and all the information required in the attached “Permit Information Guide - High-Piled Storage”. After approval of this Miscellaneous/High-Piled Storage Permit, if fire sprinkler system work is required, a separate Automatic Fire Sprinkler Permit shall be applied for (please refer to “Fire Sprinkler Permit” section of the “Permit Information Guide - High-Piled Storage”.

Note: An approved Fire Protection Engineer and/or Nicet Level IV Certified Technician, who is qualified and experienced with “High-Piled Storage”, shall be responsible for the design of the project, permit package submittals and the stamping / wet signing of all drawings / documents affiliated with the project. The Fire Protection Engineer and/or Nicet Level IV Certified Technician shall ensure the design of the storage system(s) and fire sprinkler system comply with all applicable codes, standards and/or
regulations.
Checking the registry there's 36 NICET IV's in California.

I do know the California State Fire Marshal is attempting to pass legislation to require NICET but I think they have other things (like keeping the office open) on their minds right now. So while the state does not require it most city and counties do.

The inspection program isn't that old the need for it was adopted just 12 years ago in the late 1990's. About half the states, like Texas, Florida, Georgia, New New York, Nevada, Maryland and the Carolina's the law requires a minimum of a once a year inspection by someone that is NICET certified. Some states, Florida and Texas, require Level II while some require Level III.

Georgia requires Level III but they will accept Level II for a probationary two year license but it limits the probationary license holder to work for a single company and not change employment.

At last count Georgia had 86 Level III's and maybe that many Level II's. So how much work is there, is there enough to keep this large number busy?

The estimate is Georgia has 700,000 systems and some, such as schools, state owned buildings, hospitals and nursing homes. require quarterly inspections but to keep the math easy I'll count annual only.

A good inspector who really humps his butt might average 4 inspections a day at the very best. 250 working days = 1,000 inspections a year. 200 inspectors is 200,000 systems a year so half a million are not getting inspected, owners are getting threatening lettters from the state, which is why getting a job in Georgia is so easy.

For the huge number in Florida do you have any idea how many systems there are in the entire state of Florida? I bet Disney World alone would keep two or three inspectors busy year round. It wouldn't surprise me to learn Florida had 2 million systems.

Texas, imagine how many systems are in a single refinery.

I know all states, every single one of them, that requires licensed inspections are woefully short of inspectors.

Every year more states adopt requirements for inspections so if it isn't in your area yet I can guarantee it will be.

Also remember insurance companies require inspections for their high value insureds. Nah, they wouldn't for a grocery store but take a chemical plant or high value manufacturing plant they do already/

The federal government requires it as well.

But inspections are not like being a pharmacist. Inspectors generally earn between $40,000 and $80,000 a year depending where they are at while I have heard pharmacists earn $60,000 to $120,000 but fewer people could handle the schooling required to be a pharmacist. In fact I would bet less than 30% of current students in college right now could handle the work required with chemistry, medicine etc so naturally they will make more money.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:56 PM

39 posts, read 285,006 times
I would like to ask specific Q for people with experience and knowledge in current economy.

To survive in current economy that is brutally competitive and facing constant automation and outsourcing, would you advise high school seniors to go for at least Master's degree or just bachelor's degree but in combination with certificates/licenses to be specialized?

Old 06-17-2010, 12:03 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
That no matter what your political or religious beliefs, your income or educational level, the city, state, or country that you live in, or where you where born, and who you are in general - there is always going to be someone that thinks you are full of sh*t, and for the most part, wrong...about everything.

The only exception to this is that if you marry someone who is not only extremely good looking, but rich also, you will be considered a genius. And they will not like you anymore for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment