Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times

Advertisements

can't really stand the bus environment anymore and have been contemplating a change for a long time out of IT. generally do not like how i am valued as just another cog. often very unprofessional. nothing intellectual whatsoever. nothing of value comes out of this except sell sell sell, more stuff people don't need.

Does the legal environment much different? I worked in a private practice law firm and generally things seemed to be handle with more respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 02:50 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
You mean, are law office cubes better than IT office cubes?

A law office is a business, why should it be different?

Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,034 times
I am actually interested in the answers you get. I am currently unemployed yet looking at having to get back into my old field (customer service/call center UGGGGGGGGGGGGG) because I still haven't finished school. I am currently attending for my paralegal degree. Are you wanting to a lawyer or paralegal?
I have reccently had the the experience of working with (for personal reasons) a WONDERFUL lawyer. He has a small firm, very family centered and its great. We looked into some of the larger firms and didn't like them. His employee (yes he only has one) is one of the most happiest I have ever seen someone at work. lol. I asked her about her experiences as a paralegal. She said go for a small firm all the way. She worked for a large firm and got lost in the shuffle just like any other corporate job. She makes considerably less than she would at a big firm but feels more respected and happy.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You mean, are law office cubes better than IT office cubes?

A law office is a business, why should it be different?
no, working as a laywer at a firm vs. corp america...

certainly working retail is different than in a cube, etc etc.

more concerned with professionalism, how things are done, etc.

My experience in a law firm was that yes, it was very much more professional. Even common conversations were generally more in depth or useful than what was on abc last night or office gossip. But that could have been a one time thing. Colleagues were treated with tremendous respect (except possibly in litigation) and so were the clients. Just the whole atmosphere to me seemed better.

I just feel like I am the type that needs that in my life, I've quit my last 4 jobs in IT b/c of corp culture burnout. People here just seem like drones.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
A lot of attorneys have a severe lack of conscience and anger problems. I kid you not.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 PM

39 posts, read 272,368 times
Working at a law firm can be a very difficult environment, and it also can be very professional and pleasant. It all depends on the firm and the attorneys who work there so you can't really generalize. Having worked as an attorney at both a law firm and a corporation, I preferred the firm environment (with the exception of the billable hours requirement).

But if you're thinking of going to law school, I would advise against it.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Most attorneys are cogs in the wheel for their first few years, too. Many just end up spending long hours doing research for the more senior attorneys and proving their worth. Nothing wrong with it if you're into the challenge, but I really don't see a huge difference between the two environments you've presented.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misswillow View Post
Working at a law firm can be a very difficult environment, and it also can be very professional and pleasant. It all depends on the firm and the attorneys who work there so you can't really generalize. Having worked as an attorney at both a law firm and a corporation, I preferred the firm environment (with the exception of the billable hours requirement).

But if you're thinking of going to law school, I would advise against it.
Why would you advise against it? The loans? I have worked 8 years in IT over 4 jobs and can't take it anymore. My exp in IT is that you are treated like **** and viewed as a cost center. Paying back loans seems like a good option vs. working a job I hate and have no interest in. My favorite fields are literature/philosophy/logic/social policy ...but can't really make much just pouring over that. I read Hobbes and Locke in my spare time. Law seems up my alley. Either that or some kind of public policy. Would love to just write but... not much money in that either, have to pay bills, would rather not be a struggling/starving writer etc. At some point something has to give, 29 now and not getting any younger.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,389 times
Law is just like any other profession. At many firms (big and small) younger lawyers (associates) are treated like cogs in a wheel and all the partners want is for them to kill themselves billing tons of hours and making money for the partners. At other firms, the partners actually care about the associates, mentor them, make reasonable demands of them, and pay them well. I don't think you need to switch careers to get a good working environment -- there are good and bad working environments in any profession.

And, as an attorney, I would never recommend the legal profession to anyone unless they knew that they wanted to be a lawyer (not because they want other things people often associate with the law -- money, respect, etc.) Going into law takes a lot of time, money, and energy and a law degree does not guarantee you a job (besides a good job). You have to really want it for it to be worth all of that.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM

Oh it isn't just that, I think I would genuinely like it. I am not trying to get away from demanding jobs or anything. It just helps to have some interest in what you are doing to be good at it. I worked while in college at the Florida Bar and another 5 attorney firm, also a short term IT contract at Jenner and Block, so I have a vague idea of what goes on.
The whole "working with monkeys" is what I have experienced elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment