Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 07:40 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,712,715 times

Advertisements

Boy WestCobb, how are you unemployed? You sound so sane and rational...

I can understand you being jealous of me, I worked harder than most, did things most won't do, and yes, I got lucky a few times on the way. Instead of insulting people online I spent time networking, studying, gaining experience working for free.

And why am I online right now? I don't start for about a month, so I have time to kill and only am working about 25 hours a week.

And for what it's worth, I'm not even sure I'll be taking that position, I actually got another offer today and I like the company that its with better, as well as the city.

I don't really know what to say, I'm not doing this to brag... You all have turned it in to that, the idea was that I would hopefully share some of my success techniques, but I'll just do it via DM as I have been lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:47 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,604,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post

I can understand you being jealous of me, I worked harder than most, did things most won't do, and yes, I got lucky a few times on the way. Instead of insulting people online I spent time networking, studying, gaining experience working for free.

And why am I online right now? I don't start for about a month, so I have time to kill and only am working about 25 hours a week.

And for what it's worth, I'm not even sure I'll be taking that position, I actually got another offer today and I like the company that its with better, as well as the city.

I don't really know what to say, I'm not doing this to brag... You all have turned it in to that, the idea was that I would hopefully share some of my success techniques, but I'll just do it via DM as I have been lately.
I'm not unemployed, South. My wife and I do just fine, thank you. However, I have lived in the real world long enough to understand that lots of bad things happen to lots of good people. You would *almost* have a point if we were living in different times. South? Do you read the headlines? This is the worst economic downturn in decades. Our parents haven't even seen it this bad. We would have to talk to our grandparents to hear stories about this.

I am going to take you at your word that you are only trying to inspire here .. but lol ... oh wow ... keep trying, South. Inspiring is not what you're doing. There are lots of things in life that take practice. I don't mean to condescend to you because of your age .. it annoyed me when my elders did that to me when I was in early 20s, but seriously South... part of being successful in life is being thoughtful and mindful to others. There are lots of good, smart, hardworking people out of work right now.

This is one of those times when there are just not enough jobs to go around.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:56 PM

15,832 posts, read 21,351,810 times
Quote:

And guess what- so have I. Still unemployed.

Might I ask what university you went to?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:30 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,625,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
OP, be careful you are being very bold, one day you might be eating your words. Thank God I've never been unemployed but some of the stuff you are saying is more so insulting than anything else. With an attitude like that you won't last long on the job.
That is very true. Your words can come back to haunt you.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:44 PM

577 posts, read 1,756,377 times
The company i was laid off from hires tons of college hires still .. even as they lay off hundreds. It's cheaper for them to hire newbies at a lower rate, and less bennies than it is to keep us around.
I don't think the biggest majority of unemployed people right now is new grads.... they will accept lower wages, are cheaper to insure and can move about the country easier, and dont have families or kids in a lot of cases. The company I worked for opened two call centers in the US, their hiring demographic was new grads in the 20-30 age group.... On the other hand because I'm older, its more expensive to insure me, they couldnt get rid of some of the benefits I was hired with so it was cheaper to let me go. Bottom line is the name of the game... not loyalty and years of service.

Congrats on your job offers original poster.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:05 PM

577 posts, read 1,756,377 times
And just as a suggestion.... starting your post out with "not to be rude" puts people on the defensive... something you'll learn as you gain more experience in the real world. Truly wanting to help people with suggestions is admirable but lets not be condescending to your audience

Old 06-13-2010, 04:00 AM

166 posts, read 441,738 times
Quote:
Hey NSX, do me a favor and actually read my post, I haven't accepted a position yet. And yes, one of the offers is that great, I will have 11 direct reports and report directly to the CEO of a $200 million company as a business analyst... You may want to believe that no one has the skills to do better than you, but I did pretty well. The salary is far higher than average, and will put me at nearly double the median household income for my town.

And I didn't come here to gloat, just to encourage the many who say there aren't jobs at all out there, and that above, it wasn't gloating it was defending myself against your unfounded and inaccurate personal attack, but sorry you couldn't do as well as me with your stellar GPA, I'm glad to hear everything turned out for you.

Yes, yes you did come here to gloat, when someone starts a thread with "I don't mean to be rude" well then it pretty much screams "enter this topic at your own risk" One of your posts on page 6 states: "even though Ive never looked at federal work because I'm not a citizen yet."

As an Indigenous woman I am usually defending immigrants because your topic stinks of the BS that is usually directed towards people like you. I'm just saying it's not really nice, and it is rude to comment about moccasins you have never been in; especially when you are not even part of the tribe yet.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 AM

660 posts, read 1,537,206 times
I love to see people "do well", but I absolutely, unashamedly, HATE people that gloat. If people really want to "help others", then offer REAL TIPS (not the same ol' tried-but-failed crap you see on Yahoo) to success (for people that want to succeed).

Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 AM

660 posts, read 1,537,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Haha this is funny. Rep!
And, it's probably true. I've seen this sort of thing A LOT over the years. People that have things handed to them on a silver platter are always looking over their shoulder to see if "a life of hard work" is about to ram them in the a**. And, until that happens, they try to erase their guilt by *imagining* that things are difficult for them, embellishing their stories on how they "got there", etc. People that drive around in brand new cars, and yet couldn't wash a lot of dishes by hand if their life depended on it, make me sick.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,604,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
I love to see people "do well", but I absolutely, unashamedly, HATE people that gloat.
Pretty much everyone feels this way, to include bosses, managers and HR folks. I'm sure once the OP gets into the real world and realizes how far his attitude is going to get him, he's going to seriously adjust it. He seems like a young guy who is genuinely committed to being successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment