Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
You fill out the race and sex portion, or you are not considered for the job, period. Beside like the above poster said, it is usually pretty obvious just by the area you live in what your race is. If not then your name will give it away. Jose is obviously hispanic, Tran is obviously Asian, Dontrelle, Terdell, and Le'Fa Di are obviously black, Abdul, Muhammad, or Fatwa you are obviously Arabic, Blake, Luke, and Austin you are more than likely white. You get the picture.
And that wasn't an ignorant statement. (Note sarcasm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 05:50 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
You fill out the race and sex portion, or you are not considered for the job, period. Beside like the above poster said, it is usually pretty obvious just by the area you live in what your race is. If not then your name will give it away. Jose is obviously hispanic, Tran is obviously Asian, Dontrelle, Terdell, and Le'Fa Di are obviously black, Abdul, Muhammad, or Fatwa you are obviously Arabic, Blake, Luke, and Austin you are more than likely white. You get the picture.
I DO hope this is a facetious comment.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,907 times
My first name is obviously a female name, so I check that box. But there's nothing to indicate my race so I leave it blank or "prefer not to answer". Funny how I've only received callbacks from applications where I didn't disclose my race.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,659 times
I fill them out-- it is for reporting back to the government. It is not mandatory.

I find it so humorous how Americans are so convinced that everything is going to be held against them. At least you don't have to do what my fellow Europeans have to do-- it is customary to attach a photo of yourself to your application/resume.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:30 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I fill them out-- it is for reporting back to the government. It is not mandatory.

I find it so humorous how Americans are so convinced that everything is going to be held against them. At least you don't have to do what my fellow Europeans have to do-- it is customary to attach a photo of yourself to your application/resume.
When I first started working with clients / docs over in Europe, the pictures sort of startled me - it was definitely something new.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
well, all I know is that the next time I have to check any box, I am checking the box black.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
well, all I know is that the next time I have to check any box, I am checking the box black.
Here's a weird one your post made me think of!

I have heard (from different people) that for the Series 7 (stockbroker license) exam if you check "black" the questions are much easier. I know someone who did it (white guy) and he scored phenomenonally well on the test ... a 97 (70 is passing and it's supposedly a hard test) ... I don't think he studied exceptionally hard either and he didn't take a class; he just studied books on the test. Just weird.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:58 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post

Of course someone would think that way when jobs paying $8 an hour are asking for credit reports.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
When filling out online apps it always asks for sex/race, which I refuse to answer. Why is this important? I was discrimnated against in my last job, if they like my resume they can respond no matter what my sex or race is.
So, you got the job...but you were discriminated against AFTER you started working there. If an employer doesn't want you to have the job, you will not get hired, regardless of whether you indicate your race / ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment