U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times

Advertisements

Some of my guesses for cities with at least 500,000 people:

Vancouver, Canada
Honolulu, Hawaii
Perth, Austrailia
Hong Kong, China

For countries:

Norway
Iceland
Sweden
Canada

But I would like to see what others think and if there are any informative website links related to this thread subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 PM

314 posts, read 733,749 times
Hong Kong? You gotta be kidding me!
It's very polluted and dirty.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 PM

33,546 posts, read 51,750,301 times
It would be the most sparsely populated countries/cities in relation to its area, with little or none industries.

Country Rankings 2010 - Economy, Geography, Climate, Natural Resources, Current Issues, International Agreements, Population, Social Statistics, Flags, Maps, Political System
Which Are The World's Cleanest Cities? - Forbes.com
The USA Versus the Environment: Oil, Pollution and Kyoto
Top 10 Greenest Cities in the World

Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 PM

2,161 posts, read 7,482,982 times
San Francisco has cleaner air than most cities of it's population size (750K). There is very little heavy industry left in the city. The almost constant ocean breeze blowing in off the Pacific push whatever air pollution that is produced in SF towards the east. Much of the public transportation runs on electric power (subway, streetcars, cable cars, trolley buses).

Old 08-31-2010, 11:49 PM

Thanks for all the posts!

stolpioni:

How is it possible for Kong Kong to be so polluted when it gets 100 INCHES of precipitation per year on average(Thats double New York City and Vancouver's precipitation per year), is surrounded by ocean on three sides, seems to have good public transportation, and has so many green spaces within its city limits? It seems like it would be a rather clean and not polluted city because of that. I dont know any other city in the world that gets that much rain, and rain can help so much in air and water quality.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To elnina: Thanks for all the links! Im definitely not surprised that cities in Canada and Scandinavia did well, especially Vancouver, Stockholm, Oslo, etc. I disagree with some of the places selected though as well as some places not being mentioned.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

recycled: Thats true about San Francisco. That also seems true about Seattle and Portland, except they are more inland so dont get as much help with ocean breezed. But they go get more precipitation which helps with air and water quality.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 AM

314 posts, read 733,749 times
My guess would be that Hong Kong has a high density of buildings/people/cars you name it on a comparably small area, and thats whats making it polluted.
I remember both me and a friend of mine had black tar coming out of our throats when coughing after a day in the city.
When did that happen in LA for example, which is known for beeing heavily polluted.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 AM

To stolpioni: Which month did you visit Hong Kong? Its hard to believe its THAT polluted because of the reasons I said before. Maybe you went to Hong Kong the worst time of the year for pollution or something like that.

November-February seems like the worst time for pollution in Hong Kong because thats the dry season for precipitation.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 AM

242 posts, read 653,320 times
5 seconds with Google.

Air pollution in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Air pollution in Hong Kong is considered a serious problem. Visibility is currently less than eight kilometers for 30% of the year. Cases of asthma and bronchial infections have soared in recent years due to reduced air quality.
The article includes all the information you need as to why and its effects.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 AM

To poxonnyou:

Why is the air pollution so bad in Hong Kong and London while its so much better in New York City and Tokyo?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 AM

15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Some of my guesses for cities with at least 500,000 people:

Vancouver, Canada
Honolulu, Hawaii
Perth, Austrailia
Hong Kong, China

For countries:

Norway
Iceland
Sweden
Canada

But I would like to see what others think and if there are any informative website links related to this thread subject.
JAPAN should be on that list...SWITZERLAND as well.

In North America, Portland Oregon should go on that list...Seattle perhaps...perhaps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or