Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:39 PM

112 posts, read 280,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
I guess that's why the black American musicians and writers preferred to settle in France then. But Germany certainly has had a lot of mixed marriages with the black American soldiers. How can that be if nobody will sit on the bus with them?

I don´t know what you are talking about. There are a few mixed raced children (African American - German) but not many. Even in Germany the US Army is known as an underclass army (and guess what kind of women are attracted to these people).

As far as I know there are 300k black people in Germany. So (300 000 / 80 000 000) * 100 = 0.375% of the German population is black.

Or just read the Wikipedia article on how "much" we love black people.

Quote:
Brown Babies
The brown babies were a danger to the nationalistic Germans. They saw their mixed race as a threat to German nationality and German society; it could potentially dilute the race. These children were also discriminated against because their different features and skin tone made many think they could not be fully German, and therefore must have been foreigners. This led to frustration from the Afro Germans because they had been born and raised in Germany, but were constantly being exposed to xenophobia...
Afro-Germans

higlymotivated1, I think you should move to Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,607 times
Thanks everyone for your input!!!!

It would be foolish to think that I am oblivious to the fact that racism exists around the world, heck here at home, in the U.S., there is still a level of racism....unfortunately C'est la vie, as the french say......I've never been one to allow the ignorance or stupidity of those who fail to look pass the skin color to deter me; I would not have accomplished as much as I have if I did. but I guess its just smart to figure out where the lesser evil is....and take it from there...
'
@EDU983, It is not that I want to "leave" the U.S. well, not on a permanent basis anyways, because here is my home and where my family and friends are but I just want to explore and live elsewhere for a bit maybe 2 or 3 yrs and back home....

Again, I appreciate the input from all. I will continue my search and hope that something great happens...... so I can pursue my heart's desires.....

Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
I guess that's why the black American musicians and writers preferred to settle in France then. But Germany certainly has had a lot of mixed marriages with the black American soldiers. How can that be if nobody will sit on the bus with them?
I have no idea what its like in Germany. But as a person who has spent some time in Brazil, I found that quite a few African-Brazilians would end up married with Germans (or Italians).

Of the ones married to Germans...usually the Brazilian women missed Brazil like crazy, and couldn't stand the sterile environment and lack of passion of Germany more than anything. Found it too stifling. On the other hand, seems like a large number of Germans go abroad, get married, and stay abroad permantly - opening up hostels, hostels, guest resorts or whatnot. So maybe while some German people definitely find themselves attracted to black women....the overall culture or country of German isn't that attractive for them to live? Not sure.

----

You know as you are in France, but I would think France or the UK would work.

---

Spain came up in here. I spent some time there, and the kind of racism I use to hear there on a regular basis was pretty disturbing. I think most of the other European countries are either quite educated about racism, or they have enough 'other' people that they get over it. Spain, which didn't have any African colonies, doesn't really see African people emigrate there, and the ones I did see in Spain, always seemed more desolate (as in a 'no way you're going to work here' kind of way. Whereas countries like France and Uk seem to have laws and try to assimilate, even though it is debateable how successful or not it is, they at least make an effort.

Incidentally, Belgium, I recall so many African people living there...I had to wonder for a minute if I were in Brussels or Philadelphia.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 PM

597 posts, read 1,295,505 times
I don't know why you want to leave USA and go to live and work another country, risking discrimination and prejudice.
For me this is a paradox, since thousand of people from all over the world, want to go and live in USA, some even die in pursuing this "golden dream". Others are arrested and deported.
Remember: The best place in the world is where we were born and grew up, and where are our familly and our roots.
Besides, everything is a great illusion.
For a long time I thought about moving to USA. However, after visiting this wonderful country few timea, I concluded that I would no happy there, because I would not support discrimination and prejudice by beeing a foreigner.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
I don't know why you want to leave USA and go to live and work another country, risking discrimination and prejudice.
For me this is a paradox, since thousand of people from all over the world, want to go and live in USA, some even die in pursuing this "golden dream". Others are arrested and deported.
Remember: The best place in the world is where we were born and grew up, and where are our familly and our roots.
Besides, everything is a great illusion.
For a long time I thought about moving to USA. However, after visiting this wonderful country few timea, I concluded that I would no happy there, because I would not support discrimination and prejudice by beeing a foreigner.
As an American who has spent many years abroad, including six months in Brazil. I had MANY Brazilians say exactly that same thing to me.

They also thought that since I was an American, I MUST have all kinds of maids and everything else, as all Americans are suppose to be rich. The reality is that that doesn't exist in the US except for the very very elite. There were so many misconceptions between Brazil and the US it seemed, when I spoke with Brazilians there. I love Brazilians by the way, my favorite people on the planet. But, wow, their perceptions that America is this 'land of milk and wealth' and everyone is rich was so off-base. Actually I was surprised how SIMILAR the US and Brazil seemed, I mean the poverty, homelessness, gun issues, crime, etc. The only real big difference is that the US it is in your face all the time in all the cities, and Brazil they seemed to ship it off to the fravelas and place armed guards everywhere - thinking of Rio, Salvador, etc. So while it might look dangerous seeing big guns, it is actually much safer with kind of crazy security like that.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 PM

Back to the OP (Original Poster). I've met African-American women pretty much EVERYWHERE in the world. One NYer, very much a black NY female in every conceivable way made a life for herself in Italy and ran language schools and learned the language, etc.

When I studied in Spain, there were African-American females studying there...they just get mixed into the general expat community basically. Usually abroad, you'll end up being in a very international community 99 times out of 100, rather than being 100% just mixed into the general population as a Lone Ranger type.

Over here in Japan/Korea, where I've spent a lot of years. There are AFrican-American women who end up teaching English over here. Some got into dating Korean guys or Japanese guys, etc. They end up hanging out with expats of all different nationalities, etc. One I know went from Seoul to Amsterdam for awhile, then down into Africa itself before going back to the States.

As to 'racism'. Personally, I think African-American in general have a built-in knack for dealing with this stuff. I usually find my white counterparts who struggle with this and call all the Japanese racist or all the Koreans racist or whatever else. I'm not saying she will NEVER encounter anyone who isn't racist. But usually in Asia, it is just ignorance, yet curiousity as well.

Actually she'll be met with more curiousity and interest more than anything else. Even as an American myself, almost all the Canadians/Europeans tell me I probably wear a Canuck flag, as I probably get flack for being an AMerican all the time and hated everywhere. Nothing is further from the truth. Mostly met with strong curiousity and interest.

Actually, just thinking, I live in a small town in Japan right now, and we have a Jamaician-American couple teaching English here...even in this tiny little town.

In short, you have African-American females all over the world experiencing cool and interesting things.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,080 times
It's hard to write off a whole country or group of countries; think of what some people in America might say about their own experiences, and think of all the different reasons there might be to take it with a grain of salt. And, after all, the real question is whether it's worse than America, not whether the country "loves" black people. I'm a black woman, and I've been to Germany twice and Paris, Vienna, Salzburg, Amsterdam and Madrid, although only in Germany for more than a few days. I was often in the company of other white people, so that may also have been a factor. Most European cultures are pretty restrained, and I think it's just hard in general to get to know people there as a foreigner, or even as a local. For instance, if I were to compare it to other big cities in the US, probably not much of a difference. If you are nice to the people you meet and find ones you have something in common with, you'll be fine. It's unlikely you'll be too concerned about others if you're hanging out with someone else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World