U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 06:31 PM

132 posts, read 326,035 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

First I wanna say thank god for these forums lol. I'm currently in the process of trying to figure out what city to move to after I graduate from college in 7 months. I'm between Paris, Montreal, and NYC and I currently live in Miami,FL and always lived in S FL.

I feel like Paris would be hard to get a work visa yet I have friends over there which would be a plus. I'm not fluent in French yet but currently taking classes so I think I'd be intermediate proficiency by the time I graduate.

I know like 2 people in Montreal and think it would be easier to get a job there compared to Paris but I don't know anything about what it's like there except that it's in Canada which I hate to say this but since I know nothing about Canada I assume it's "lame." I realize I need to actually visit to maybe change that ignorant view but so many around me always talk about Canada that way.

NYC, I don't know anyone there but it would be easier to move to because I wouldn't have to worry about speaking French or obtaining a work visa. But I feel like it would be a very stressful and expensive city to live in and I don't want to live in a city where I can barely afford a tiny claustrophobic studio and have to deal with more stress then another one.

Having said all that I do love the French culture and wouldn't mind living in either Montreal or Paris but I also want to have a career and opportunity which I would think NYC is better for. But I also would like to have some degree of affordability. I don't want to spend all my money. And cold weather I don't mind. And lastly I haven't visited any of these places and would like to but I think my savings would disappear.

Any advice from anybody I would appreciate a TON! Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,141,538 times
Stick with Florida or NYC..........moving alone to a new location is difficult.......adding in the difficulties of immigration and a foreign language adds exponentially to the potential problems.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 PM

15,697 posts, read 34,693,659 times
You're young, so you can't go wrong with anywhere you choose.

If I were you, I'd go with Paris...it's the furthest away of the three...and the most interesting experience for an American. You can always 'come back' whenever you're ready, and it'll just be a lot easier even.

Plus you have friends in Paris...so makes it easier and probably more fun. The younger you are, the better time it is to do such things as well.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:48 PM

210 posts, read 606,166 times
It's worth noting that Paris is every bit as expensive as NYC.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:59 AM

30,330 posts, read 31,201,438 times
Montreal is considered the Paris of North America.
I would go to NYC as it is the only place that you don't need to worry about a work permit/visa. It is very hard for an American to get a work permit/visa for any European country. I don't know how easy or difficult it is for an American to get a work permit/visa to Canada.
As for NYC, if you don't mind living in Queens or Brooklyn rather than Manhattan you can a very decent studio apt with a relatively short commute by NYC standards to Manhattan. In Queens, I know that there are some very large studio apts. in good neighborhoods with easy subway (24/7) access and reasonable commuting time to Manhattan.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,840,071 times
If you are not fluent in French I would definitely not go to Paris. French people expect you to speak French and ignore English-speaking people a lot. Don't know about Montreal but I have heard that Quebecers (?) are not too fond of English-speaking people either.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:51 AM

6,112 posts, read 10,153,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post

I'm not fluent in French yet but currently taking classes so I think I'd be intermediate proficiency by the time I graduate.

Having said all that I do love the French culture and wouldn't mind living in either Montreal or Paris but I also want to have a career and opportunity which I would think NYC is better for.
This is the main reason why you should go to NYC first, if you can land a career-oriented job and gain experience, at least a year, probably better if two or more.

In the meantime, continue studying French, preferably at an institution like Alliance Francaise, hang out with French people personally and/or at French institutions in NYC, save as much as you can, even if that means living with roommates in Brooklyn or Queens, spend any vacations in France or, second choice, Montreal.

After around two years of career-oriented experience in NYC, improving your French and building a network of contacts in NYC among the French community and so, by osmossis, also France, then seek a job opportunity in Paris, your chances will be greatly improved.

Another avenue along the same route is to pursue a graduate program that offers a semester in Paris. Check out, for example, Pace University. After a year or two of experience, maybe your employer would pay for it.

In either case, don't pay attention to naysayers about visas and such. Be qualified first, then those details will be merely a nuisance, obstacles that you can overcome with persistence.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 10-05-2010 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 AM

321 posts, read 813,930 times
What about taking a trip to the three cities first? You're not actually going to arrive in one of the three with all of your worldly possessions without ever having been there, are you?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 AM

20,576 posts, read 25,637,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post
I know like 2 people in Montreal and think it would be easier to get a job there compared to Paris but I don't know anything about what it's like there except that it's in Canada which I hate to say this but since I know nothing about Canada I assume it's "lame." I realize I need to actually visit to maybe change that ignorant view but so many around me always talk about Canada that way.
Canada is very big and diverse, and certain parts of it may indeed be lame. But Montreal is certainly not lame. It may not be your style or the best choice for you personally, but Montreal is anything but lame.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 PM

132 posts, read 326,035 times
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I'm ultimately going to move to NYC. I just really hope that it isn't just a city of stress with mean people everywhere. That tends to be what people tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World