Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:58 AM

589 posts, read 754,772 times

Advertisements

I changed the map real quick to better reflect Islam, since having "Desert" = What should be Islamic nations does not make much sense. And also much of the former Soviet nations are ditching the Russian values they picked up under Communism and are becoming Islamic again. Indonesia, Bangladesh, Malaysia and several other nations are also thoroughly Islamic. India is predominantly Hindu but it still has 180 million or so Muslims, most in the north...So cant disregard that either.

African culture. Its all over Latin America. Cuba has a strong Afro culture present, and Brazil's north has the largest number of Africans outside of Africa, and it shows in the culture there. So I changed to that aswell.

Argentina is made up primarily of European descended people so to add it as Blue is a closer match than listing it as Latin American.

And as far as the Latin American color goes I would reserve that for Native-American/Mestizo culture, but thats just me. The way I have it represents Latin America fairly well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 06:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,165,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post

I changed the map real quick to better reflect Islam, since having "Desert" = What should be Islamic nations does not make much sense. And also much of the former Soviet nations are ditching the Russian values they picked up under Communism and are becoming Islamic again. Indonesia, Bangladesh, Malaysia and several other nations are also thoroughly Islamic. India is predominantly Hindu but it still has 180 million or so Muslims, most in the north...So cant disregard that either.

African culture. Its all over Latin America. Cuba has a strong Afro culture present, and Brazil's north has the largest number of Africans outside of Africa, and it shows in the culture there. So I changed to that aswell.

Argentina is made up primarily of European descended people so to add it as Blue is a closer match than listing it as Latin American.

And as far as the Latin American color goes I would reserve that for Native-American/Mestizo culture, but thats just me. The way I have it represents Latin America fairly well.
Why don't you put in the asian(native-american), half asian-half white(mestizo) latin america countries in with the orient. Since they are descended from asian people.

That would make it a closer match.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:18 AM

16 posts, read 34,935 times
Default This is pointless

Western Europe should be separated from Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean countries from the Nordic/Slavic, the Catholic from the Protestant/Orthodox.
Islam is divided in Shia and Sunni. And Hinduism has many branches and people interpret it differently from region to region.
You cant just throw in different cultures and ethnicities and call them a single civilization, you've got to understand the world doesn't work like this.

And even if you wanted to generalize every Muslim country as a "civilization" you would have to differentiate ethnicities (Arabs, Persians, Turks, Berbers, Sub-saharan Africans) local customs, and more importantly political systems.
You say Islam is a civilization, I'm sure you can do the same with Christianity, so why isn't Latin America a "Western" country?

Why is Cuba, being the totalitarian state it is, related to the democracies in Latin America? Japan has nothing to do with China, maybe they shared a common ancestry, but any similarity has been erased by centuries of isolation developing a civilization of their own. South East Asia blends both Sinic and Hindi culture................and the list goes on and on.

You are doing it wrong. Either you are trying to divide the world in ethnicities (lineage, races, whatever you like to call it), or based on Religion and/or Ideologies. But you cant do it all at the same time. It's impossible.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:09 AM

185 posts, read 312,108 times
Overall you're right. Then, we have the full details and the complexity... and our personal desires: I'm not here, I prefer to be there...
But, overall, the last one is a good map to see our cultures.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:22 PM

228 posts, read 808,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post

You did a horrible job at Latin America... Native American/Mestizo cultures is represented of latin america? maybe Bolivia, Peru, El Salvador... Stop making these maps and travel and research the countries just a little bit... the USA has more connections to latin america than north africa has with indonesia...

Old 10-16-2010, 11:41 PM

202 posts, read 566,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souliban View Post
USA= AFRICA 2.0
what?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:19 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,115,260 times
May I throw something in here?

I'm not saying these regions are all the same ... i'm just saying, BROADLY, you can divide the world into about 7 different major civilizations, each with a GENERAL world-view ... and this is a map showing that.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:32 AM

624 posts, read 1,118,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnf16 View Post

Western Europe should be separated from Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean countries from the Nordic/Slavic, the Catholic from the Protestant/Orthodox.
Why? In the end all the Europe has the same values and if you travel in Eastern Europe you'll see that is highly influenced by the German culture (former Austrian-Hungarian Empire), French or Italian culture. The slavic countries seem a little bit different but you can't deny that are highly influenced by the Western European countries.
Yes you can separate Europe in Eastern Europe, Western, Mediteranean, Nordic, Slavic, catholic, orthodox, protestant and so on but the whole Europe is part of the Western World.
On that map I'll put Moldavia (or at least some parts of it) in the Soviet area. Yes... the Moldavians are in fact Romanians, but a lot of them speak Russian and are closer to Russian culture than to Romanian culture (I know both Romanians and Moldavians and while the Romanians hate the Russians really bad and have nothing in common with them, the Moldavians have mixed feelings, some of them traveled to Russia and so on).

Old 10-17-2010, 05:08 AM

1,948 posts, read 2,555,678 times
I can say only one.
Russia occupies the land of the Oriental.

Last edited by japanese001; 10-17-2010 at 05:47 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,778 posts, read 4,131,349 times
Sub-Saharan Africa as one of the great civilizations??
Funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World