Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:12 PM

58 posts, read 98,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
In Australia any non home owning (rent paying) family of two adults and two children earning less than $750 US/AU per week is officiially classed as living in poverty. To live comforably i suppose you would as a conserative estimate have to increase that amount by 50% which would comes to around $5000 a month for a family of four. Terrible i know!
Actually I'd say to live comfortably in Aus you would need $5000 a month for 2 adults, nevermind children. I guess it's where you live though, and how much you are forking out on mortgage/rent.

Last edited by IrmaVep; 10-20-2010 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 04:31 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,072,016 times
The U.S. is a giant country, and as such how much it costs to live the good life is dependent on where you are living, and what your idea of the "good life" is.

Northern Minnesota is cheap by national standards. The cost of living index (using 100 as the national average) is something like 76 for my zip code, similar to others in the area. A single person can "make it" here on $30,000 a year, and still have money left over for "toys" - guns, hunting stands, four-wheelers, snowmobiles, and boats (canoes and kayaks with the chi-chi crowd, motorized boats and personal watercraft for the hoi polloi) are very popular here, and not only among the rich (if there are any rich people left in Northern MN). A "working class" person (carpenter, plumber, etc.) can own all of these within no more than 5 years of working, if they budget wisely (or even if they don't). I know of no other place where normal people have as many toys as northern Minnesota and its environs. It appears to me that the population in other parts of the country are largely focused on having a bigger house or a Porsche, while Minnesotans like to kick back and exit the rat race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World