Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:43 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,524,201 times

Advertisements

I know there are plenty of threads covering "what country is a good place to live".

But consider this scenario:

A 41-year-old straight, single male American who loves:

--free spirited but financially responsible people

--an open, inquisitive culture

--warm, dry climate preferably but not necessarily near an ocean or gulf.

--access to first world amenities and infrastructure

--low taxes (not extremely important)

--lots of youngish, single women (late 20s - early 40s)

--anti-materialist attitudes are great

Countries that would remind you of Northern California or Austin, Texas are what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 12:16 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,754,619 times
Default Norway is at the top of the list

According to the United Nations Development Program (UNDP)

Norway back on top as world's best place to live : Views and News from Norway

Old 10-26-2010, 12:45 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,815,653 times
Norway does not really fit the climate requirements though.

The truth is, low taxes and first world amenities are very hard to find in combination. They work against each other.

Throw in "fiscally resonsible" and you are left with places that have some major natural resource income. Some countries in the islamic world, maybe. But they're not exactly free spirited, though.

I'd say Monaco or Lichtenstein are the best bets.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 PM

112 posts, read 279,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post

I'd say Monaco or Lichtenstein are the best bets.
Do you really think Monaco and Lichtenstein are inhabited by anti-materialist, free spirited and young people ?

Old 10-26-2010, 01:48 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,815,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbicon View Post
Do you really think Monaco and Lichtenstein are inhabited by anti-materialist, free spirited and young people ?
Well, to be honest I assumed that every country have about the same age distribution. The ones with a disproportionate amount of young people tend to have been throught some harsh times. Free-Spirited yes. I think they are. In comparison to the strict Islamic resource economies I was mentioning earlier.

AS for the anti-materialist...is any actual country anti-materialist? It is more up to what friends you make I think.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:40 PM

First, thanks for your answers!

Second...

By anti-materialist I don't mean like "hippy" or "communist".

I just mean a place where the right label on your clothing or the latest model Audi is not the be all end all.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 PM

13,499 posts, read 18,088,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
First, thanks for your answers!

Second...

By anti-materialist I don't mean like "hippy" or "communist".

I just mean a place where the right label on your clothing or the latest model Audi is not the be all end all.
Sounds like you mean non-materialistic.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:40 PM

13,499 posts, read 18,088,148 times
Quote:
I know there are plenty of threads covering "what country is a good place to live".....Countries that would remind you of Northern California or Austin, Texas are what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
There are none. Just as the entire U.S. is not like Northern California nor Austin, you're not going to find an entire country outside the U.S. that fills the bill.

There are undoubtedly certain regions or localities in foreign countries that might be on the order of what you are looking for.

I had a friend who found many of these things living on the southern coast of Uruguay, but all of Uruguay did not suit him by any means. A cousin of mine emigrated to Brazil years ago, single, attractive with a lot of get up and go. He lived a wonderful, casual life and never ever lacked for beautiful, charming female companions, he started a successful business and knew musicians, writers, etc..............but he found a particular niche in Brazilian society and his life was lived in a tiny fraction of the country.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
There are none.
I don't necessarily mean every town, province, locale or burg within the country has the same culture.

Perhaps the desired culture resides in some of the major cities and towns of foreign lands.

For example, America is a huge and diverse country.

But you can say that America as a whole is intolerant of, say, wife-beating or industrial chemical dumping in rivers.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,972,532 times
Quote:
I know there are plenty of threads covering "what country is a good place to live".

But consider this scenario:

A 41-year-old straight, single male American who loves:

--free spirited but financially responsible people

--an open, inquisitive culture

--warm, dry climate preferably but not necessarily near an ocean or gulf.

--access to first world amenities and infrastructure

--low taxes (not extremely important)

--lots of youngish, single women (late 20s - early 40s)

--anti-materialist attitudes are great

Countries that would remind you of Northern California or Austin, Texas are what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Sounds like northern europe, except for the warm, dry climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World