Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this type of service?
No 18 56.25%
Yes 4 12.50%
Maybe, it would depend on the costs and how much I trusted the business 8 25.00%
No, but I know people that would 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:00 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,900,836 times

Advertisements

Well here in Korea we can get the majority of stuff we miss back home (including Mexican food). Sometimes we have to pay quite a premium...

Really, the only thing I've really missed so far is sweet tea and chicken sandwiches from Chick-Fil-A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 01:22 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,364,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting the Mexican food references. I've long thought about that as well. Actually, interesting most people assume that Americans will miss American food when they live abroad....but quite the contrary...it's always the Mexican food that we miss!

I type this as I am eating enchiladas at the moment..here in Japan.
That is true. When I was living in Britain the two things I was really missing were Tex-Mex and NC bbq. Unfortunately now that I am back there isn't much I wouldn't do for a good Donar Kebob, and fantastic selection of ales on tap at every bar.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:11 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,807,972 times
Another one here for missing Tex-Mex or South-West (type) food while in Europe for a long time.

So bad really, that I brought back a dozen burritos from *Titos Tacos* in California each time when traveling to the home office !!!
Froze them the day before and flew them home in my brief case.
When the Customs Officers saw my frosted side of the brief case, their eye brows went straight up to their hairline ...
But that was in the 80's.
No way I would try that today ....

Other wise, not that many products I *missed* while there.
Found many *substitutes* rather easy.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:10 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Other wise, not that many products I *missed* while there.
Found many *substitutes* rather easy.
Me too. Actually I've found myself missing those *substitutes* quite a bit when I get back to the States - where it seems everything is filled with sugar or too much grease.

I'd kill for some good korean snack food (kimbab, etc), for example, when in the States. Actually crave the entire spectrum of really healthy and plentiful foods found abroad that is hard to find in the States.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 PM

465 posts, read 462,159 times
American style Chinese food.

Good Mexican food.

Marijuana brownies. I sure do miss those.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:11 AM

10,199 posts, read 17,780,830 times
There are already websites which supply US goods in other countries. Not all countries but there are certainly plenty for the UK:

Buy American Food, Drinks & Candy Online in UK - Fast Delivery Nationwide - American Soda
Buy American Candy & Food in the UK - Huge Range of Sweets - American Sweets and American Soda
Welcome to Skyco Online (UK)
UK based online retailer of American Candy, Groceries & Soda. Largest selection in the UK!
Buy American Food, Sweets, Candy and Chocolate Online, UK
American Food and Groceries - International Shipping!!!
Americatessen - Product Range
Online shopping for American foods in France and Europe: buy your American sodas, cake mixes, candies, BBQ sauces, etc.

I think some of those are for Europe as well, not just the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
US expats miss Mexican food more then anything, no matter where in America the expats are from, or what kind of Mexican food they're used to.
Please don't speak for all of us - I hate Mexican food and I don't know any one in my family or friends back home in PA who really love it either.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:08 PM

3,758 posts, read 5,287,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Tex Mex.

US expats miss Mexican food more then anything, no matter where in America the expats are from, or what kind of Mexican food they're used to.

It simply cannot be had anywhere else in the world.

If you want to get rich overseas catering to US expats: open a business and cook Mexican food. Your fortune is guaranteed.
I don't know about getting rich making TexMex, but it IS one of the foods most missed in Malaysia. There is a Chili's in KL, but it is seen as a high-end restaurant and carries prices as such.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,042,294 times
Its not just Americans. The only food request I get when I travel to south America are Mexican tortillas. These are just people that tried them as US tourists.

I miss the variety of spices we used here. Some countries just use the same 2 or 3 spices. I also miss Chinese and Mexican food.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,933,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Its not just Americans.
Yes.
Our local grocery store caters to a lot of tourists, and there is an entire shelf section, about two feet by three feet, of foods that Brits like.

There is also a smaller area stocked with Arab and North African foods; I've seen French tourists taking cans of this or that from that spot.

Some of the stuff I've tasted, some of it I've never heard of before.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:06 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,933,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Its not just Americans.
Yes.
Our local grocery store (I live in the States, southeast coast) caters to a lot of tourists, and there is an entire shelf section, about two feet by three feet, of foods that Brits like.

There is also a smaller area stocked with Arab and North African foods; I've seen French tourists taking cans of this or that from that spot.

Some of the stuff I've tasted, some of it I've never heard of before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World