Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this type of service?
No 18 56.25%
Yes 4 12.50%
Maybe, it would depend on the costs and how much I trusted the business 8 25.00%
No, but I know people that would 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:17 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,018,001 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

From my experiences, most expats miss some type of food/drink from the U.S. that they are unable to buy wherever they're living. Examples are boxed mac n' cheese, cookies, chips, Dr. Pepper, candy, etc.

Here's the question:

If you had the opportunity of a "fairy service" that would get and ship these missed comfort foods to you on a routine basis (or even a one time thing) in the form of care packages, would you be interested?

There's a poll.

Thank you so much, all advice and opinions are greatly desired!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 10:42 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Depends on the price.

Actually kind of happens anyways. So it would have to be financially realistic to make it worth going through a company to do that.

On the other hand, I do know some expats who would love that.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:59 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,683,742 times
Tex Mex.

US expats miss Mexican food more then anything, no matter where in America the expats are from, or what kind of Mexican food they're used to.

It simply cannot be had anywhere else in the world.

I remember meeting up with some pretty good quality corn tortillas in a restaurant in Beijing. I pestered the server and management to tell me where these tortillas had come from. By the time I left the restaurant, I had managed to talk them out of a big stack of these tortillas and discovered that Mexican living in Beijing had gone into the tortilla business. And a very tidily profitable little business it was as he was the sole person in all of China making tortillas. And even then, they were the first corn tortillas I had seen in years of living overseas.

If you want to get rich overseas catering to US expats: open a business and cook Mexican food. Your fortune is guaranteed.

Last edited by azoria; 10-31-2010 at 04:09 AM..

Old 10-31-2010, 04:38 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,095,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Tex Mex.

US expats miss Mexican food more then anything, no matter where in America the expats are from, or what kind of Mexican food they're used to....If you want to get rich overseas catering to US expats: open a business and cook Mexican food. Your fortune is guaranteed.
Interesting story. The one and only American product I ever saw in a market and went "Aha!" was a special display shelf of Mexican-American food products from the U.S. I have only met one American in the last five years where I live, so the supply which includes quite a few sauces, tortillas, etc., moves quite slowly. And I wonder sometimes if the hipermercado will one day just decide that it's not worth the space it takes.

On the other hand, I couldn't care less about American products. I live in Europe, I buy the same products that all the local people do. But then I'm not an "expat," I'm an immigrant, a permanent resident.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:56 AM

23,862 posts, read 71,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Hi everyone,

From my experiences, most expats miss some type of food/drink from the U.S. that they are unable to buy wherever they're living. Examples are boxed mac n' cheese, cookies, chips, Dr. Pepper, candy, etc.

Here's the question:

If you had the opportunity of a "fairy service" that would get and ship these missed comfort foods to you on a routine basis (or even a one time thing) in the form of care packages, would you be interested?

There's a poll.

Thank you so much, all advice and opinions are greatly desired!!
We have a store like that over here.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:13 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,898,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Tex Mex.

US expats miss Mexican food more then anything, no matter where in America the expats are from, or what kind of Mexican food they're used to.

It simply cannot be had anywhere else in the world.

I remember meeting up with some pretty good quality corn tortillas in a restaurant in Beijing. I pestered the server and management to tell me where these tortillas had come from. By the time I left the restaurant, I had managed to talk them out of a big stack of these tortillas and discovered that Mexican living in Beijing had gone into the tortilla business. And a very tidily profitable little business it was as he was the sole person in all of China making tortillas. And even then, they were the first corn tortillas I had seen in years of living overseas.

If you want to get rich overseas catering to US expats: open a business and cook Mexican food. Your fortune is guaranteed.
My son (in Paris) misses Tex Mex too. He enjoys and cooks French food daily with his girlfriend, but there is nothing quite like flavorful Tex Mex--it gets those endorphins going.
He can get Old Victoria products but that is not exactly the quality to which he is accustomed. I send him the occasional jar of organic salsa.
He says Mexican restaurants exist in Paris but that none of them have been that good--he would rather be able to purchase what he needs and make the food himself.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:14 AM

Interesting the Mexican food references. I've long thought about that as well. Actually, interesting most people assume that Americans will miss American food when they live abroad....but quite the contrary...it's always the Mexican food that we miss!

I type this as I am eating enchiladas at the moment..here in Japan.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:15 AM

43,292 posts, read 44,007,680 times
When I lived outside the USA I missed Philadelphia cream cheese.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:30 AM

What I miss is some of the fastfood choices like 'Arbys', etc.

Generally seems like most countries do have some general american stuff like goldfish crackers, doritos, etc.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 AM

871 posts, read 1,624,858 times
mexican food. ewww
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World