Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,862,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I lived in both NYC and Tokyo.

NYC is pretty close to lively - but not so much Times Square - which is mostly tourists. I was going to list it, probably should.

Yeah, Tokyo just SUCKS after the last train stops - which is around 12:30pm. There is one area which might have something, a foreign area. But the main spots like Shibuya and Shinjuku will be dead by 3am, even on a weekend. It's because taxis cost too much to get home, so everyone takes the last train.

However, other cities in Japan like KOBE, FUKUOKA, OSAKA will be very lively at 3am, but on a weekEND...not a weekday.

Just my experience anyways....
Are you kidding? Trains here run later than 12:30. I was expecting the Tokyo subway to be 24/7 like NYC. What about buses etc? That makes no sense for such a big vibrant city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 07:44 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are you kidding? Trains here run later than 12:30. I was expecting the Tokyo subway to be 24/7 like NYC. What about buses etc? That makes no sense for such a big vibrant city.
Yep, HUGE Mystery.

I was just in Osaka last weekend, I stayed up all night easily. Same for Kobe, Fukuoka, etc.

Everytime I've been to Tokyo...I am bored out of my mind around 1am...I don't get it either. One of the biggest mysteries.

Throughout the rest of Asia - Shanghai, Bangkok, Seoul, Busan, (ANYWHERE in Korea), throughout southeast asia. Nighttime is incredibly lively and fun.

Tokyo, I believe it is solely because the trains stop early (not 24 hours), and taxis are incredibly expensive...you are talking a $200 to get across Tokyo to get home....just insane prices. So, it really isn't an option to take a taxi. WHereas in Seoul, for example, you get across the entire city taking 30-40 minutes in the middle of the night in a taxi and it might cost you $20.

Tokyo IS very lively during the daytime though....but once that last train leaves....it is dullsville.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 870,007 times
NYC of course. I would b a bad student on many weekday nights in Beijing and go straight from the clubs and after bar drunken feast straight to class at 8am. Bangkok was crazy and I made It home at daybreak most nights on ko samui. Chicago in very selective spots. The red line and blue line run 24/7 and many bars such as at division and state Milwaukee and north n damen are hoppin til 5am but on weekends.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,815,965 times
newcastle-upon-tyne, norh east england, a 24 hour party city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World