Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:31 AM

20 posts, read 42,667 times

Advertisements

You could have good walk in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 AM

52 posts, read 196,683 times
Berlin

Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 PM

707 posts, read 687,064 times
Pretty much any city in Europe, at least the core. And especially Venice. But nowhere in North America really, unless you call a bike path walkable.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,692 times
Japanes cities are absurdly walkable. I've spent time in places all over the world, and I still think Japanese cities are the most pedestrian-friendly.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Pretty much any city in Europe, at least the core. And especially Venice. But nowhere in North America really, unless you call a bike path walkable.
Some of the major cities (but not so much their suburbs) such as NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. are very walkable. Canada also has some good walkable cities (and overall more so than their US counterparts).

Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
The council leaders in my city appear to be on a mission to getting rid of the car completely in the core.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Chicago. I live in Chicago and don't even own a car. I take the train, bus, and walk everywhere. Many people are like this here. Even my friends who did own cars ended up selling them because they almost never used them. A lot of neighborhoods here are extremely walkable, moreso than San Francisco. NYC of course, and San Francisco and DC, Boston, etc are the same. Los Angeles in small areas is walkable but not overall. Honolulu the same thing on a smaller scale, but both of those you need your car for most areas.

For Europe pretty much anywhere. Istanbul is extremely walkable even if the city itself is absolutely massive. They have good public transit there. Some Chinese cities like Hong Kong, Taipei and Japanese ones like Tokyo. Also places like Cairo, Alexandria Egypt, etc. A lot of cities are pretty damn walkable outside of the US, but the US has its cities that are very walkable.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Chicago is a pretty good walking city in large part, but I would not put in anywhere near the top when talking about the most walkable city as there are a lot of cities around the world that are a lot more walkable with wide sidewalks, but narrow streets where car ownership is rare.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Chicago is a pretty good walking city in large part, but I would not put in anywhere near the top when talking about the most walkable city as there are a lot of cities around the world that are a lot more walkable with wide sidewalks, but narrow streets where car ownership is rare.
Yes, when we're talking about the world, not a lot beats the cities in Europe and some in the middle east. However, it is without a doubt in the top 3 or 4 in the US along with NYC, Boston, and San Francisco. It's a hell of a lot more walkable here than most people think. More neighborhoods than not, very walkable and no need for a car at all. Even in neighborhoods you've never heard of and people tell you to stay away from, there's walkable restaurants, grocery stores, etc in. The thing about here is that there's a lot of food places and bars everywhere. For a walkability score, you'll get dinged if you don't have a full fledged grocery store every quarter mile.

Chicago's 10 Most Walkable Neighborhoods (PHOTOS)

Most people in neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Near North, Wicker Park, etc don't actually use their cars a lot if they even own one in the first place. You will see a lot of street parking in a lot of the neighborhoods, but chances are those cars are pretty idle on average.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,501 times
NYC-50% dont own a car and the people that do are wasting money.
Paris-With a density of 50,000 people and a good major transit system, paris is extremly walkable.
Most major cities in europe, many were built before autos and built when walking and horses was the only way to get around.
Tel Aviv-Very Walkable
Toronto-Again like nyc not that many people own cars
San Francisco-Dense enough to walk through
D.C-Mass transit, its easy to get around
Mexico City-Mass transit its easy

Cities that you cant walk practically anywhere-
Dubai-Its so car centric
Phoenix-Car Centric
El Paso-How would you walk in a city like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World