Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:11 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times

Advertisements

This report seems to suggest otherwise...UNHCR - UNHCR annual report shows 42 million people uprooted worldwide

Developing countries hosted 80 percent of all refugees, underscoring the disproportionate burden carried by those least able to afford it as well as the need for international support. Major refugee-hosting countries in 2008 included Pakistan (1.8 million); Syria (1.1 million); Iran (980,000); Germany (582,700), Jordan (500,400); Chad (330,500); Tanzania (321,900); and Kenya (320,600). Major countries of origin included Afghanistan (2.8 million) and Iraq (1.9 million), which together account for 45 percent of all refugees under UNHCR's responsibility. Other countries of origin included Somalia (561,000); Sudan (419,000); Colombia, including people in refugee-like situations (374,000), and D.R. Congo (368,000).

No mention of Sweden here and I'm pretty sure it would have been in there if the number was so high, especially since Germany was in there.

Perhaps you are confusing the word refugee with immigrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 PM

312 posts, read 909,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I wasn't doubting that asylum seekers go to Sweden.

I was doubting your statement that one small town in Sweden takes in more asylum seekers than all of the U.S.

Especially when you consider many large cities in the U.S. have completely been transformed due to large numbers of asylum seekers - Haitians and Cubans in Miami, Iraqis and Arabic in Detroit, Ethiopians and Salvadoreans in Washington DC, Laotians and Somalis in Minneapolis, etc.

No doubt that some small towns in Sweden are changed by asylum seekers, but your statement seemed to imply that the US doesn't get aslym seekers in sizeable numbers like Sweden (or something to that effect).
Well if you read the first paragraph in the link it clearly says that Sodertalje brought in more Iraqi asylum seekers then the whole US and Canada did combined.

chicagojlo: Probably because after one turns a citizen they won't be in that statistic anymore. Alot of them do become one after just a year, some might wait up to 5 years.
Maybe not 1 million refugees now, but if we count everyone that has passed the borders the last 10 years or so then that number seem pretty correct.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
Well if you read the first paragraph in the link it clearly says that Sodertalje brought in more Iraqi asylum seekers then the whole US and Canada did combined.
Thanks, just re-read it.

Yeah, it does say that. 5000 Iraqis this year, to add to the total number of 30,000. Probably accuate for Sweden. His statement that it is more Iraqi asylum seekers than all of US and Canada is a complete lie or completely uniformed.

I just looked up Michigan and Iraqis.
Iraqi Refugees in Michigan

7000 Iraqi refugees this year, adding to the already 30,000 in Michigan. This is just one state alone.

I'm sure there are plenty of other Iraqis going to other states and Canadian provinces. I just looked up Michigan, because I was just in metro Detroit, and there are Iraqi everything interspersed everywhere. That inclues a 'Little Baghdad' area of Detroit.

Anyways, your quote/info was accurate. The author of that European NGO website, however, was completely uninformed.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 AM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
I'm not going to deal with the immigration issues surrounding your move. But Berlin would be a perfect fit for you on all levels.
I would vote berlin as well, truly world class city. Do whatever it takes to get there.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:05 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhackharkness View Post
Alright I know this is a pretty broad question, but I am an explorer at heart and I am ready to move on to something new. I am really open to anywhere in the world. I am fluent in German and French and a bit of Japanese

I am from a small town in New England originally,I liked a lot of things, but I really wanted to move to a city because I hated being in the middle of nowhere.

For college I moved to Boston and went to BU for my B.S in Engineering, MIT for my M.S. and back to BU for my J.D. which certainly was a change. I have mixed feelings on Boston,but in general, I really like it. I hate a few things.

Things I am looking for

Night Life:: Boston closes at like 11am, 2am max. I hate it. I am late night type of guy. I had to travel across the city to get Chinese at 1am. Bars/Clubs close at 2am...Boston has no grime,like NYC to it I suppose.

Transportation: The T is subpar at best. It closes at 12:30am making it very hard to get home without at car. When you do ride the T, it is very slow and poorly designed. They blame it on the system being old...not an excuse. Transportation in and out the city should be good too.

Walking I want a city where I don't have to cross a highway to get some food. Even in Boston we have the MassPike and and several 6 lane roads that I feel like I am going to be killed. I don't mind traffic, just not a lot of fast traffic. I like the narrow street, few cars and stores and restaurants in square that I can walk about without worrying about traffic.

Culture I like a mix of old and new. I like the history of some old historical buildings and some a new always growing skyline. I want a city that lacks close to nothing. I don't want to not have a store,be skipped over for a concert. Good theaters, museums,music,sports...etc. I like diversity to some extent as well. It is interesting to see cultures mix and it helps the food. Finding a Italian place in Boston is impossible.... Green Space and Public Gardens are fantastic and one thing I love about Boston. I want to feel like I am in the city , but also feel like I have decently quiet space.

Overall Area I want a large city, that feels small. With areas with unique culture,but not isolated from each other. I am not a big fan of urban sprawl, but good transport can resolve that .Some place that is clean and relatively safe as well.

Science/Technology Economy This is pretty important. Obviously I am quite qualified, but I still worry. The concentration of technology and science companies and upstarts in the city. If not in the city, very close by. I have some work in the academic area, so decent universities in the area is important. This leads to high concentration of scientists...etc. I like a place where these areas are clearly visible and a integral part of the society. Healthcare is also important.
Check out San Francisco, DC, Montreal or Seattle. They meet all or most of your criteria.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
That is true for most of the countries in EU, but Sweden is different.
They accept all refugees that comes in, so just burn your passport and say you are fleeing from war, and you'll have an apartment with benefits in no time!
i dont think the person's looking for a small cramped apartment, with $40 a week to live on, and i doubt with the american accent he will get away with the refugee card lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World