Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,419,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
OK, now I'm slightly peeved. Australia can be a continent, a continent encompassing New Zealand and various Pacific islands. It is just a name, we didn't need some PC officer pointing out a flaw where there wasn't one. Like AMERICA, it is a country and TWO continents. People get which one you are talking about pretty quick with the prefixes -North, -South and -United States of. How bout we call the Americas (-North and -South) Isthmusania. Then no one would ever be confused. Cut the crap.
Jeez, haven't read the whole post yet, but this is REALLY hostile!

I sense high blood pressure?

Keeping it light...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
The words Peruvian, Mexican, Canadian, Argintinian, Brazilian, Honduran, Cuban, Haitian, Chilean, Bolivian, Venezuelan, Salvaldorian, Costa Rican, Puerto Rican and Panamaian roll straight off the tongue. They are more accurate words when describing people of those nations. Our nation is called the United States of America, we get to call our selves American so you don't have to hear us call ourselves Uniters, United Staters or USAers. It has been a colloquialism for centuries. Stop trying to make a political statement by taking our name. It means as much to us as any of the above mean to their respective nations.

Seems to me that U.S. Citizen rolls nicely off the tongue, is accurate, & specific... What's the problem with that?

Old 08-28-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
I learned this is grade school, that 'America' included all inhabitants from Alaska and the Northern Territories to Tierra del Fuego, including the Caribbean.

I call myself a US citizen rather than an American, from Texas or the US. I once bumped into a couple from Australia on a quiet cruise of Lac Leman. I replied that I was born in Texas but if I could not have been born in Texas I would want to be from Australia. I made a friend for life.

We are 'citizens' of the US.
Thanks - I agree (although I don't recall anything about who's who in the "Americas" - meaning the point being made that we are all "Americans" - being taught to me in school until reaching University. But, that fits in the education forum... lol)

Old 08-28-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldPeace View Post
United-States Residents should call themselves United-Staters. They have stolen the name of the entire continent for themselves. You don't see Europeans complaining about this because they are not Americans. Imagine if Germans for example would call themselves Europeans (before Germans) this would cause a s*** storm... Where is the equality in this?
Yeah, not sure you are supporting your case very well by bringing up "equality" - seems outside of the issue at hand & a bit dramatic for this topic. Plus, the term "America" applies to more than one continent - just an FYI...

All for World Peace though (another FYI & BTW)

Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
Well, "Columbians" was already taken. I guess we could try "Vespuccians" after Amerigo Vespucci. On second thought, that just sounds silly... and we'd never hear the end of it from Benjimi. Let's see...people in some countries call us Yanks, but as a Southerner that would grate on my nerves. I guess we'll just have to stick with "Americans". Of course, if that North American Union foolishness ever gets forced on us, then I'm not sure what we'd call ourselves.
You're just being silly, right? Cause, again, US Citizens seems really simple to me! I'm just saying...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlett mom View Post
People have a lot of time on their hands.
And, evidently you are one of them, right?! lol

Old 08-28-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Well, if we don't call people from the United States, "Americans", what do we call them? United Staters? United Statese? United Statish? Come on now, that's just stupid. People from the US are just called Americans, that's the way it is, the world is messed up, what can I say?
US Citizens is one thought...

Old 08-28-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
When this was first pointed out to me, I was living in Europe. I felt defensive! But the more I thought about it, the more I thought it is a rather superior attitude to hold. Then I appreciated the expanded perspective.
But I also agree, it's the tag that works for us!

I appreciate your reflection on the matter, I really do.

Thank you.

(But, I still think US Citizen works just fine... )

Old 08-28-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Just because people from the U.S. refer to themselves as "Americans" doesn't mean they are prohibiting the rest of the western hemisphere from doing the same.

Hmmm, I suppose everyone can call themselves what they choose - but, seems to me it would be particularly odd for the entire population of the Western Hemisphere to refer to themselves as "americans", wouldn't it? Unless I missed something, everyone in the Western Hemisphere does not reside in some form of the "americas"???

Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I have to agree with you guys, we are The United States of America, therefore, we are Americans as it is the last part of the name, how can you say anything else that's pronounced easier? It's just common sense and I don't think it's anything more like we're arrogant or are trying to take the continent. It is what it is. Anyone that gets offended by it is reading too much into it. Can anyone come up with another name that is not hard or awkward that rolls off the tongue easily?
Yes:

"Where are you from?"

"I'm from the US (or United States)"

Also there's:

Instead of "I'm American"... "I'm from the US" or "I'm a US Citizen"

Hasn't caused me any fret or difficulty...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.