Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,455,820 times

Advertisements

Although it's on an island Kaktovik, Alaska seems to fit as quite remote and indigenous. No town of even a 1000 looks close and the closest town of 50,000+ is 600 miles away.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kaktovik-Alaska.html
The City of Kaktovik Alaska
JuneauEmpire.com: ANWR: Looking out for their lifeblood (http://www.juneauempire.com/anwr/lifeblood.shtml - broken link)

Anuktuvuk Pass, which I mentioned at another group, is an indigenous settlement that made an agreement so is in a national park in Alaska. I think the only access to it is by plane.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Anaktu...ss-Alaska.html
Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve - Anaktuvuk Pass, Alaska (U.S. National Park Service)

Tiksi on the Arctic Ocean coast also looks remote. As in I can't find much on it, but I did see the following.

Tiksi Russia - The most remote place in the Russian Arctic Ocean - Makes it sound like a rather bleak place to boot.

San Pedro de Atacama is an oasis town in the Atacama desert, I thought there was a town in the Atacama but I didn't find it earlier, which is notable as the Atacama is generally believed to be the "World's driest desert."

Welcome to San Pedro de Atacama Chile

Although the larger city of Calama is only 98 km away.

http://www.chile-travel.com/calampg.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 07:01 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,779,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Cape York Peninsula in Australia. Not easily accessible for the most part. Restricted to adventurous people in 4WDs on unpaved roads, which are flooded a lot of times. Some areas completely inaccessible and totally undeveloped & untouched. If it has 20,000 people in total, I'd be surprised. Mostly indigenous.

Other indigenous areas are a lot of the remote communities throughout the country, especially Western Australia, my state. Literally nothing out there.

I googled this subject - most isolated city and there's debate about it being Auckland, New Zealand versus Perth. The criteria being that they're cities of one million or more and how far the next city with a million or more people is. So technically Auckland wins out by a few miles since Sydney is the next city of that size.

But with Auckland you've got some small cities nearby. 2 hour drive south and you're in Hamilton, population 140k. 8 hour drive: Wellington, pop 400k.

Then there's Perth, technically a city but more a big country town at heart. We have no other cities in this entire state (third of the size of the entire country) with populations of 100k or more. Drive 6 hours west, across harsh bleak terrain and you get to Kalgoorlie-Boulder, pop: 30k. Then it's another, longer day's drive before you get to any place with more people than flies. Same story heading north. And west, that Indian Ocean is surprisingly vast. Takes about 8 hours to get to South Africa by plane.

Now, that's remote!
I checked the distance as the crow flies from Perth to Adelaide, and apparently it's about the same as Sydney to Auckland, yet why does Sydney to Auckland look so much closer on the map?

Either way, it's no debate. The criteria about being over a million is something they made up. In terms of how isolated a city really feels, I think Perth is only beaten by Honolulu or maybe Noumea or Suva. Honolulu is the only place that feels like a real city in the Pacific outside NZ.

In real terms, Perth feels way more isolated than even Auckland because there are no sizeable cities anywhere near it, while Auckland has Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin etc - all cities with hundreds of thousands of people.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:45 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,455,820 times
How does Yakutsk, seeing as it's a capital of a Russian Republic, compare to Perth in isolation?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,779,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
How does Yakutsk, seeing as it's a capital of a Russian Republic, compare to Perth in isolation?
Even Siberia seems to have a few major cities scattered about.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:16 AM

134 posts, read 341,435 times
Someplace in french guyana would likely be the best choice for south america. Western Brazil could work too

Old 05-17-2017, 04:28 PM

5,681 posts, read 4,839,371 times
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is probably the largest city (181,618 people) on a continent that is not connected by road to the rest of the continent.

Juneau is another such city but with 32,756 people

Old 05-17-2017, 04:32 PM

127,775 posts, read 11,782,774 times
The island of Dursey off the coast of the Beara peninsula in sw Ireland is pretty remote, it is accessible by a cable car.

There are no shops, pubs, cafes, or hotels on the island.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:45 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,595,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is probably the largest city (181,618 people) on a continent that is not connected by road to the rest of the continent.

Juneau is another such city but with 32,756 people
Iquitos, Peru is larger than Petrppavlovsk-Kamchatsky and is not connected by road.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:55 PM

5,681 posts, read 4,839,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Iquitos, Peru is larger than Petrppavlovsk-Kamchatsky and is not connected by road.
Yep it turns that is the largest city not connected by road.
"It is the largest city in the world that cannot be reached by road – it is accessible only by river and air."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iquitos (437,376 people)

Old 05-17-2017, 07:22 PM

10,650 posts, read 15,921,389 times
In Europe its Amderma, Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World