Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:24 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,394,751 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know what non-Americans on this board think of the U.S. A broad question, but intentionally so. I want to hear what you want to talk about, what you consider worth mentioning, negative and/or positive. I'd only suggest topics like politics, business, the arts, the environment, culture, etc. Also, I'd really like a historical perspective, if you are inclined; meaning, has your opinion of the U.S. changed in your lifetime? How about from what you know of history?

Again, anything at all...

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 PM

441 posts, read 1,323,926 times
I suggest politics & controversies forum

Old 12-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
I suggest politics & controversies forum
Well, maybe, but I don't want to limit it to that. You are in the U.S., right? Anything worth mentioning? Has your experience matched your expectation?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,609,344 times
If you really want to know, I like the vastness and variety of the land itself, admire the inventiveness and how it breeds successful people, high standard of living (bigger houses in particular), the can-do spirit, openness of the people etc and I'd rather have you running the world than Nazis/Soviets/Arabs/Chinese etc, but I don't like the over-consumption and lack of caring about the environment (Kyoto treaty etc), massive and rising differences between rich/poor and little/no safety net (particularly with healthcare/workers' rights), backwards attitudes to things like homosexuality, extremely punitive sentencing esp. towards juveniles, and the lack of acknowledgement that these things should actually be dealt with. I think the US is less a force for good than it once was (Marshall Aid in the past, waterboarding now etc) but the (Western) world will be worse off when you are no longer number one. That balanced enough for you?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
If you really want to know, I like the vastness and variety of the land itself, admire the inventiveness and how it breeds successful people, high standard of living (bigger houses in particular), the can-do spirit, openness of the people etc and I'd rather have you running the world than Nazis/Soviets/Arabs/Chinese etc, but I don't like the over-consumption and lack of caring about the environment (Kyoto treaty etc), massive and rising differences between rich/poor and little/no safety net (particularly with healthcare/workers' rights), backwards attitudes to things like homosexuality, extremely punitive sentencing esp. towards juveniles, and the lack of acknowledgement that these things should actually be dealt with. I think the US is less a force for good than it once was (Marshall Aid in the past, waterboarding now etc) but the (Western) world will be worse off when you are no longer number one. That balanced enough for you?
I do want to know and I think it's a great response. It didn't have to be balanced, but most things are when looked at fairly. The standard of living as you know has dipped dramatically in recent years, and many of those large houses that you speak of are at risk. There is a foreclosure epidemic underway. It costs so much to live in a big American city that often there is nothing leftover to build a safety net. If you live in NY, L.A, SF, etc, and don't live in a relatively nice (expensive) area, it can be pretty bad. The crime rate, your kids go to bad schools, you have to worry about your wife when she goes to the market, etc. This speaks to your point on the dwindling middle class. And to your point on our judicial/prison system, the scary thing is that many of our prisons are now privately owned; ie, for profit. I am in my forties, live in a major American city, in one of the relatively better sections, but many of our neighbors are in real financial trouble. Thanks for your response.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Location: Where Sunday shopping is prohibited :) - Bergen County, NJ!
108 posts, read 161,352 times
Many people outside of the U.S. thinks that American's are fat, eat junk food, drive everywhere, never walk or use public transportation, work a lot, never travels outside the U.S., do not know anything about the world, do not care about the world, drive big cars, live in big homes, big food portions, everything big (few to mention)

Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,039,772 times
As an American person who has been abroad since 1996....you can always feel the change of public opinion around the world.

When I first went abroad...in 1996...moved to Korea. I use to get 'America #1' types of things...and people would share with me their dreams of 'going to America'. They'd romanticize our country quite a bit.

During the 2000s though...absolute horrible to be an American abroad. Just way too much questionable american politics effecting way too many international countries. We became the 'bad guys'. Basically when we went into Iraq, the image of America was severely tarnished....and has been downright awful ever since. The reelection of Bush didn't help any either. During those years, it wasn't uncommon to be completely shunned by a group of people once they found out you were an American, or be the whipping boy in their inquiring judgements.

With Obama, I notice that people 'back-off' on their antagonistic comments against Americans. But the feelings are still there, there just isn't so much ammunition now.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,868,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
As an American person who has been abroad since 1996....you can always feel the change of public opinion around the world.

When I first went abroad...in 1996...moved to Korea. I use to get 'America #1' types of things...and people would share with me their dreams of 'going to America'. They'd romanticize our country quite a bit.

During the 2000s though...absolute horrible to be an American abroad. Just way too much questionable american politics effecting way too many international countries. We became the 'bad guys'. Basically when we went into Iraq, the image of America was severely tarnished....and has been downright awful ever since. The reelection of Bush didn't help any either. During those years, it wasn't uncommon to be completely shunned by a group of people once they found out you were an American, or be the whipping boy in their inquiring judgements.

With Obama, I notice that people 'back-off' on their antagonistic comments against Americans. But the feelings are still there, there just isn't so much ammunition now.
I notice the Brits are more anti-American than we are, but most people are pretty decent and will treat you as an individual, not just a member of some nationality. They understand you have no responsibility for Iraq etc.

Which countries were the worst? Which were the best?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I notice the Brits are more anti-American than we are, but most people are pretty decent and will treat you as an individual, not just a member of some nationality. They understand you have no responsibility for Iraq etc.

Which countries were the worst? Which were the best?
Actually now the sentiment is that you judge the individual American and find out his beliefs/politics. But during the years of say 2002-2004 in particular...man, most people when meeting an American, would prefer to shoot first, ask questions later! Each year it gets a little better again, but Iraq completely destroyed our image.

Regarding which nationalities hated Americans the most...generally the ones who perceive themselves as 'enlightened'. Generally, I didn't get much from Asian people, although when I lived in Korea, you would at times from Koreans. Basically because we effect Korea tremendously from our President's words and our politics.

But generally speaking, got the worst grief from Canadians, New Zealanders, and 'enlightened' Europeans.

For whatever reason, Australians are a large country like the US, have their own 'Indonesia' issues which is similar backdoor politics that the US gets grief about....and I think because Australia is quite a bit larger, they are a bit more insular like Americans....and could really care less about Americans. Generally.

Whereas I've noticed Canadians and Kiwis and Europeans (Swiss, Scandinavia, etc. but not really French or Germans). can easily become quite judgemental...perhaps small nations that can really indulge into the worst stereotypes and gossip on Americans...plus they speak English well. So they can focus on the negatives within our own news and media and books.

Whenever I've met people from say Iran or France, they seem to bend over backwards in friendliness. I've especially had great experiences with Germans and French. I think Germans have the nazi past, and the Turkey issue now, both sensitive issues, so they go all out to get along. French and the US have something weird there, so they make an effort to dispell that stereotype, and are quite friendly and nice.

The perception is that Scandinavia, Switzerland, Canada and New Zealand are these great little likeable places that everyone loves....allows them to get away with very judgemental and negative behaviors. Basically what I've noticed anyways. The thing is, is that I LIKE those countries...and their politics...but anyways.

That being said, every year it gets a little better...with Iraq descending us into darkness as far as international perception goes.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 PM

834 posts, read 2,817,803 times
The US won't ratify the Kyoto climate change treaty

The US won't ratify the international land-mine ban treaty

The US won't adopt the Metric System that's used by almost the entire world

The US keeps its gasoline taxes much lower than Europe, which keeps American buying SUV's (large vehicles) and wanting to live on large acreages and commute long distances to work

The US has very poor and slow long-distance trains. China, Spain, and other countries' railways are light-years ahead of US's.

China is cornering the world's market on manufacturing solar energy panels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.