Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:43 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,609,344 times

Advertisements

I spent eight months living and teaching English in a town in Poland with almost no non-Poles - I went three months without hearing another native English speaker. At first you feel like a three-year-old not understanding anything (the best memory was trying to organise a bank transfer using entirely hand gestures and made-up Polish words) but you get used to it. Just smile, accept that you are the stupid foreigner who doesn't understand them and not the other way round, and learn enough to get by. I wouldn't want to do it long term as it was too difficult to meet people with common ground who you can communicate with properly but it's a worthwhile experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:29 AM

211 posts, read 564,703 times
Yes. I've worked in three countries (Mongolia for one year, the Netherlands for two years, and currently in China for my fifth year) and have not learned any of the languages. I never bothered with Mongolian. I did try with Dutch and Chinese, but gave up; I found it too time consuming. I work full time. The last thing I want to do when I get home from a long day is study a foreign language. So, I don't.

To quell your fears, don't let not speaking the local language stop you from going.
1. You can always leave if you find you can't hack it.
2. You may learn the language and have an even more rewarding experience than you'd otherwise have.

Scott

Old 12-20-2010, 12:31 PM

946 posts, read 2,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
You know most countries have some kind of need for native English speaking professionals so it might be better to try and find a job with an international company and move that way - you will get a lot of help in the beginning with documentation and will likely have very understanding colleagues who are used to assisting non-locals to get situated.
Yes, I'm definately going to look into that. Hopefully there is a demand for native English speakers. Where would I go about looking though...an embassy or consulate?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM

946 posts, read 2,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What language/country is it?

I've went to to live in a number of countries without knowing the language. Japan, Korea, Brazil, and Spain.

I didn't know the language when I first went to any of those countries. But, I tried to study on the side.

I've also traveled to another 40+ countries...so have a lot of experience and years and years of being in various countries and using various forms of communication.

Also, each country is completely different in regards to their ability in English, and how English-friendly the place is. Even if there isn't much English, there are a ton of ways to communicate with very little shared language.

First though, which country are you highly interested in? Maybe it's a place I know well, and could be very specific about it?
Italy. Luckily, I'm also fluent in Spanish and Italian and Spanish are very similar. I actually met a Latin American guy while I was there and in the one year living there, he had become fluent in Italian. I know I could learn it, I'm just very shy and I'm scared of the first few months when I'm not going to know anything. I'm not as brave as other people.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:25 PM

268 posts, read 875,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I was in Amsterdam for 8 years and came to Chicago 4 years ago. I do still consider myself fluent in Dutch although I no longer have anyone to practice speaking with (I was working for a Dutch bank until last year). I read the Dutch news online and try to catch a tv show or two online occasionally. My oldest child was born there but she doesn't remember any of the language sadly.

Sadly Dutch isn't a valuable language to learn, if I'd gone to Spain or France it probably would have been more beneficial!
Dus, jij begrijpt wat ik hier typ

Old 12-20-2010, 05:19 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,366,958 times
I moved to Germany and spent 2 years living in Munich. My German was "OK" before leaving the States, but the Bavarian dialect was very, very hard for me to understand. So I spoke fluent German long before I could understand most people in Munich.

It's hard living in a place where you can't speak the language fluently. Initially I was just treated by many people as a dumb foreigner and it was very frustrating not being articulate and smart in another language. But I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Munich is truly a great city!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,734,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2360039 View Post
Dus, jij begrijpt wat ik hier typ
Jazeker!

OP the best way to find those jobs is Monster etc for the country you are looking for, looking on the country's site of companies you know in your field, networking with people you know who have friends there etc.

I always say go for it when it comes to a dream like this. As a long term expat in two countries so far I've seen many people come and go. Some dream of it for years and hate it the minute they get there and some aren't that bothered about where they live and end up in love with their new home. Either way you are going to gain something from the experience. There are hurdles in life that can't be overcome but not being fluent enough in a language shouldn't be one of them.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:51 PM

713 posts, read 3,433,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Yes, I'm definately going to look into that. Hopefully there is a demand for native English speakers. Where would I go about looking though...an embassy or consulate?

Maybe look into CELTA if you plan on teaching English Its a program by Cambridge University and is recognized around the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzaLR5po_NE

Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,037,806 times
^^^^I like the song on that video.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 PM

61,375 posts, read 86,287,266 times
Yes!!!! No fear! This is the best way to learn foreign language!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World