Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:46 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post
I don't think so, however this could be the case with those having families in these post-YU countries. I personally feel much more "at home" in Rome or even London than in Belgrade.
i think you say this because serbia and croatias hatred for one another, and you have probally been brought up to think your two countries are different, but i think serbia has more in common with croatia than you would like to admit, and without a doubt more in common than with britain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 11:13 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okramb1 View Post
First of all I never said that cultures in ex-Yugoslavian countries are the same.
The title of the tread is:

Blocs of countries with a (mostly) shared culture? [emphasis mine in case you missed it]

Old 01-02-2011, 11:23 AM

39 posts, read 150,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The title of the tread is:

Blocs of countries with a (mostly) shared culture? [emphasis mine in case you missed it]
Mostly doesn't mean the same

Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
i think you say this because serbia and croatias hatred for one another, and you have probally been brought up to think your two countries are different, but i think serbia has more in common with croatia than you would like to admit, and without a doubt more in common than with britain
Exactly what I was trying to say to him.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post
I don't think so, however this could be the case with those having families in these post-YU countries. I personally feel much more "at home" in Rome or even London than in Belgrade.
I don't have any families in ex-Yugoslavian republics,I don't have family nowhere outside Croatia so I don't fit in your conclusion.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:48 PM

291 posts, read 831,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Note the comparison with London was my personal experience. Call me weird but I consider the places where I feel relaxed and welcome culturally closer to me.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:47 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,535 times
^I think that's because London is a 'world city', plus again, Croats hate Serbs. but the truth is, I can barely tell the difference between Croatian and Serbian culture, the languages are like nearly the same, I'm sure there are differences, but they're not as big as the difference between one of them and a country that doesn't even speak the same family of languages.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:21 PM

291 posts, read 831,545 times
Pakistan culturally the same as India? People that look the same, geographically close, historically part of the same Empire, same Hindi-Urdu language - yet they are different cultures, or they are not?

My stance is that a culture is (mainly) shaped up by the dominant religion. Undoubtedly there are cultural similarities between Croats and Serbs and not only cause of the language; we’ve been in the same country for 70 years and during that time separate nation’s cultures were suppressed while Yugoslavism - a kind of superculture - was promoted.

Perhaps a parallel between 3 ex-Yu and 3 Scandinavian nations will clear up my opinion on this issue.

Take Danmark, Sweden and Norway: very similar ethnic background and languages.

Take Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia: very similar ethnic background and languages.

While all countries from both groups have had their share of conflicts, the level of brutality is incomparable. How come? IMO that’s because Danes, Norwegians and Swedes share their culture – same religion. Croats, Serbs, and Bosniaks do not share their culture (to that extent), because they evolved in different often openly conflicted religions – Croats as Catholics, Serbs as Eastern Orthodox and Bosniaks as Muslims.

There is a reason that most unstable regions are those religiously/culturally diverse, places where religions clash, the Balkans, Middle East or the Caucasus.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:12 PM

44 posts, read 221,389 times
Countries in south-america are culturally very different. Groups culturally similar:

- Chile , Uruguay, Argentina (Uruguay and Argentina is like the same country in terms of culture)
- Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia
- Colombia, Panama, Venezuela
- Puerto Rico, Cuba
- Mexico and all center american countries

All of those groups share a very similar culture

Old 11-10-2014, 06:34 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Syria, Jordan and Lebanon.

Egypt, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia.

Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

Turkey, Armenia and Georgia.

Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikstan and other 'Stans

China and Vietnam

India, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World