Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country is the most enviromentally friendly?
USA 5 10.64%
Canada 3 6.38%
France 5 10.64%
Italy 0 0%
Japan 2 4.26%
New Zealand 5 10.64%
Australia 2 4.26%
China 0 0%
Other 25 53.19%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,953,254 times

Advertisements

I know this is a very hard question to answer but surely there are certain countries who have a more enviromentalist reputation. For example, maybe a certain country has had more famous enviromental friendly scientists, or maybe the government is one step ahead in making enviromental laws. Of course it's highly likely that the smaller the country is the less of an impact they're having on the enviroment but that's not what I'm wondering. I guess the question could also be translated to:

Which government is the most concerned about the well being of this Earth? I can't list them all but please tell which one you believe it could be, besides what I've listed in the poll. Go ahead and answer the poll though, so we can see what the opinionated results would be when comparing these countries.

If I had to guess I'd say New Zealand. Not sure why, it's just a guess. I really know nothing about New Zealand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 AM

888 posts, read 1,586,476 times
I don't know.. what is the most undeveloped country, where people basically live without any modern amenities? Some island near India.. was it Sentinel or something?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:40 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,811,988 times
one of the scandinavian countries

Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM

Wow, thanks, I'm learning something here right off the bat. Should have added Scandinavia I guess. I never even heard of Scandinavia, lol.

Please pick from the poll though, and share your thoughts on New Zealand if you have any. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,603,356 times
One of the Germanic/Nordic countries. Both times I've been to Scandinavia there's been almost absolutely no litter or graffiti, the towns have looked immaculate and most of Scandinavia is almost untouched forest. Any of Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Iceland/Denmark/Norway/Sweden/Finland could be contenders and definitely belong in the poll. Italy, USA and particularly China in my opinion do not belong there.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
One of the Germanic/Nordic countries. Both times I've been to Scandinavia there's been almost absolutely no litter or graffiti, the towns have looked immaculate and most of Scandinavia is almost untouched forest. Any of Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Iceland/Denmark/Norway/Sweden/Finland could be contenders and definitely belong in the poll. Italy, USA and particularly China in my opinion do not belong there.

Thanks, this is becoming a real eye opener for me. I greatly appreciate your comments and I'll take note of the popular response although not listed on the poll. Thank you so much.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,603,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Thanks, this is becoming a real eye opener for me. I greatly appreciate your comments and I'll take note of the popular response although not listed on the poll. Thank you so much.

Another thing you might like to know is that those countries have high levels of recycling (seriously, Germans have to separate their rubbish into at least five different bins for brown glass/green glass/paper/plastic/organic waste etc) and environmentalists have a lot of political clout compared to elsewhere. In Germany the Green Party has been a coalition partner in the national government, though I don't know if that's unique. You've never heard of Scandinavia? Where are you from then?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Just kidding, sorry. I've only heard the name Scandinavia a couple of times maybe but I know nothing about, not even where it's located. I promise you I'll be knowing about it now. I'm from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I'm 100% Cajun French, although the French language was my grandparents secret language, so I don't know French.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,811,988 times
scandinavia is sweden, finland, norway and you can count denmark usually aswell. its just across the north sea of the uk on the north east side

Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,216,001 times
What is the North Sea and what is UK, I have never heard of it (just kidding).

I would say Germany, in particular for their extensive social and governmental policies regarding many aspects of environmental sensitivity from recycling to alternative power. After that perhaps the Scandinavian countries and maybe the low countries.

In Scandinavia, much of the lower pine forests are heavily managed for the timber industry but this seems to be done in a pretty conscious manner. I have seen only very small clear cuts and there are always stands of seed trees left behind. Fish farming is said to have some negative effects on the coastal ecosystem and is a big industry in Scandinavia and although Norwegians are big on preserving ecosystems (as long as they don't detriment the small (but coddled) farming industry, certain creatures are 'animalia non grata' in Norway. The Swedo-Norwegian wolf packs cross into Norway at their peril.

There are some polluting industries such as Oil and Metals in Norway, as well. I'm not sure how they are managed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World