Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:05 PM

79 posts, read 157,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Florida yes, Miami no. In fact, in my 40+ years of living in the Northeast US. I have not met a single person who has chosen Miami as a tourist destination. And we Northeasterners definitely utilize Florida for vacations. It's just funny to me how different foreigners view Miami compared to how Americans do.
Are you on crack. How could Miami NOT be a big tourist destination. Unless, of course, you are distingushing between Miami and Miami Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 01:10 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstn421 View Post
Are you on crack. How could Miami NOT be a big tourist destination. Unless, of course, you are distingushing between Miami and Miami Beach.
Never touch the stuff.
As I said above I have never met one person, not a single human being in 43 years who said that they were going to Miami for a vacation. I have met hundreds of people who go to other Florida destinations, just not Miami. My wife is from the Midwest and she concurs.
As for Miami Beach. You are clearly too young to remember that Miami Beach was a cesspool up until about 20 years ago.
There is nothing in Miami to see, except the beach.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:16 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
As for Miami Beach. You are clearly too young to remember that Miami Beach was a cesspool up until about 20 years ago.
There is nothing in Miami to see, except the beach.
Miami Beach was certainly a major vacation destination in the 50s and 60s, and was especially popular with Jews.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
When I lived in Brazil the following 3 cities / towns were the most recognized ones:

1) Aspen - because of its skiing resorts. I'd say Breckenridge and Keystone have better slopes but they aren't as famous down in South America.
2) Orlando - because of Disney World. It's one of their favorites getaways in the US
3) Boston - there are lots of Brazilians who live in the area

I would come up with 10 but I am too lazy.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Miami Beach was certainly a major vacation destination in the 50s and 60s, and was especially popular with Jews.
And I'm too young to remember that.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:16 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I guess you are somewhat right. Miami as a sole destination is not exactly correct but it is still a higly recognizable city in Europe.
The TV program Miami CSI made the city very recognizable. And I personally know of Europeans who hit Miami after Orlando for its Cuban culture...restaurants and clubs, and who have seen countless articles about South Beach.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 AM

268 posts, read 877,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The TV program Miami CSI made the city very recognizable. And I personally know of Europeans who hit Miami after Orlando for its Cuban culture...restaurants and clubs, and who have seen countless articles about South Beach.
CSI Miami? Look back to the 80's: Miami Vice with Don Johnson.

Some people here told that us that they don't know anybody who travelled to Miami in particular.

Can be, but here in Belgium, Miami is a must for most of the Florida travellers.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
This is about the world, not about American tourist destinations.

Yes what made Miami famous was Miami Vice. I knew about Miami since I was a little kid. CSI Miami has helped keep the status of a glamorous tourist destination. CSI Miami is ridiculous, innacurate and unreal.

These are the cities I had heard of before I moved to the USA:
New York (the statue of Liberty, Wall Street)
Washington DC (politics)
Los Angeles(Hollywood)
San Francisco (the Streets of San Francisco)
Dallas (the show)
Denver (Dynasty )
Philadelphia (TV shows & movies too)
Miami (tourist)
Orlando (the Mouse)
Las Vegas (gambling)

Old 10-25-2009, 03:02 PM

13 posts, read 14,734 times
New York, by far.....Orlando-MiamiSan Francisco-Las Vegas-Colorado

Old 10-25-2009, 03:12 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times
New York
DC
LA
Chicago
San Francisco
Seattle
Boston
Philadelphia
Dallas
Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World