Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,370,810 times

Advertisements

I know a few ppl back home in Ireland that have an interest in the NFL but the numbers are extremely low. The do have the exebition games in the UK that sell out but IMHO they sell out more for general interest in watching that game rather than having an actual interest in the NFL.

I think the NFL's biggest problem with viewers in europe (apart from timezone) is that its drawn out. If youre used to watching 90 mins of Football with a 15 minute break then watching a sport with 30 seconds of play than 5 minutes of a break is hard to sit through. American Football is quite an itneresting sport if you can actually sit through it (which I cant seem to do even though I try).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,787,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I'm just curious. It seems the new fad in the US is to follow European soccer (European football) teams and you'll see people wearing the jersey's of and claiming to be fans of Manchester United, Arcenal, Barcelona, Roma, etc... ESPN is covering premier league soccer sometimes as well.

I'm just curious if there are Europeans, just regular Europeans and not American transplants or people with connections to the US, that follow American sports teams at all? Are baseball or American football followed at all by some youth who want to appear different or unique? It seems that in the US the trendy thing for young people is to do is follow European sports. Is it trendy for young people in Europe to say they're a big fan of the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs or Packers/Cowboys, etc. Do people over there walk around wearing NFL jerseys like you'll see Americans walking around with European soccer jerseys?

Just wondering.
Believe it or not...there are also USAers who follow Formula 1 racing instead of NASCAR.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,119,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
...American football seems to be a great puzzlement around the world. Moreso since everyone calls soccer as 'futball' or 'football' - and our football isn't even all that foot-centric.
Yes, the name is confusing to the Europeans that I've heard comment on the game. One guy said, and not joking, "Why don't they call it air-ball?"

Quote:
British/Aussie RUGBY is more violent/crazier/tougher.....no pads and such like american football. So, I think they just find it weird the american football players are so overly padded up...
In the U.S. American style football and football players are seen to be very macho, a kind of stereotype for the word. But if you've ever seen rugby and rugby players, you know why the rest of the world doesn't agree. Compared to American guys lumbering around in huge costumes that look like the were made for a Vince McMahon wrestling extravaganza and the incredible slowness of the game makes it of zero interest here as far as I can see. It's like comparing sumo to kickboxing.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,815,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I suppose that would be the case.

But probably 99% of the World Forum viewers seldom if ever view the Sports Forum. I know I never have.

But good point that it could derail the thread.
the forums about europeans views on usa sports, so inevitably its going to go down that route because most europeans don't like american sports and love football (soccer) so its obviously going to get to that debate again!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,240,808 times
Man, so far the only thing derailing the thread is people warning about how the thread is going to be derailed.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,494,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Man, so far the only thing derailing the thread is people warning about how the thread is going to be derailed.
Well, it's sort of a reading test for people. If they'd go back and read the original post, it doesn't ask for opinions on American sports, only whether Europeans have made it chic to follow U.S. sports the way some Americans follow soccer.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:07 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,815,965 times
the thread is do europeans pay attention to american sports, then europeans are going to give their opinion on WHY they don't pay attention, people, on a forum, are going to go in to detail in the comments they post aren't they?

Old 01-07-2011, 01:13 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,494,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
the thread is do europeans pay attention to american sports, then europeans are going to give their opinion on WHY they don't pay attention, people, on a forum, are going to go in to detail in the comments they post aren't they?
More than likely, and I generally wouldn't care, but in this case I feel all it will do is turn the conversation into a pissing contest. There's enough of that in the sports forums.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 PM

441 posts, read 1,323,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I'm just curious. It seems the new fad in the US is to follow European soccer (European football) teams and you'll see people wearing the jersey's of and claiming to be fans of Manchester United, Arcenal, Barcelona, Roma, etc... ESPN is covering premier league soccer sometimes as well.

I'm just curious if there are Europeans, just regular Europeans and not American transplants or people with connections to the US, that follow American sports teams at all? Are baseball or American football followed at all by some youth who want to appear different or unique? It seems that in the US the trendy thing for young people is to do is follow European sports. Is it trendy for young people in Europe to say they're a big fan of the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs or Packers/Cowboys, etc. Do people over there walk around wearing NFL jerseys like you'll see Americans walking around with European soccer jerseys?

Just wondering.

We played softball during college, just for fun, because our couch was playing rugby so was into football and baseball. I found it quite relaxing from usual track & field. But other than basketball & ice hockey (I know, Canada) not really. There are football or baseball teams, but it's on the same level as curling in US.

As to why not. Well, same reason why curling is not popular in US. Lack of history in that country, no TV coverage, no stadiums etc.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 PM

3,758 posts, read 5,285,954 times
The OP changed the title to read "...people outside the US...." so it is no longer about Europeans only.

In Malaysia, a small group of people pay attention to the NBA, but the bulk follow futbol, mostly European leagues. No one pays attention to grid-iron or baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World