Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 AM

321 posts, read 958,282 times

Advertisements

Indeed, one should not try to compare "continental-sized" countries to "normal" ones. Size is not necessarily a positive thing in any case and is the major reason that every empire in history has collapsed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 06:45 AM

782 posts, read 1,083,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Being abroad, I think about that a lot when I think of the States.

Over here, particularly in Asia, you can drink easily, and easily get home, without even thinking of getting in a car.

In the U.S., there are just tons of people trying to socialize with a drink or two, and get home afterwards. Because of the car culture, they drink and drive, lose their licenses, lose lives, etc. Whereas if you were in Europe or Asia, you just drink, socialize, and walk home leisurely among others doing the same.

There is just more interaction, more human contact.

I think in the States, due to the isolation of the individual. People are really stuck at home, so that's why they get interested in big houses, acres of land, and wal-mart shopping to fill up the house. Once you're into that, you defend it as the correct way to live.

But, it's not the only way to live. I think that type of lifestyle just adds to overall general more paranoi of your neighbor, and more protect yourself. Too much sitting around watching doomsday news about the evil of others from behind a house 'castle'.
Amen !

Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM

250 posts, read 659,746 times
All my extended family is still in Hong Kong. They could afford to live in the states, being well-educated, and the US offers shorter workweeks, but Hong Kong is more exciting. Besides, skills are often nontransferable between international borders. The US used to offer a less stressed life, but that is changing, be it the workplace or schools; some schools are actually just as, if not more stressful, than many schools in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is a developed country, and the economic freedom there is much greater than that of the US, while convenience is much better; from that point of view, why move to the US, especially if you are a politically apathetic person?

Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 PM

20 posts, read 17,254 times
Can mods do something about the United States vs everywhere madness that has crept onto this forum? There's like 5 topics in this style just on the front page.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:05 PM

581 posts, read 964,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohn View Post
Can mods do something about the United States vs everywhere madness that has crept onto this forum? There's like 5 topics in this style just on the front page.
Yeah, it does seem that the World forum has become USA vs. everywhere else.
Meanwhile, the USA forum has become "The South" vs. everywhere else.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:50 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,873,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohn View Post
Maybe people in the US just realize how bad this country is soley because of the horrible selfish culture we have. Of course brought on by this obsession with Libertarianism.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 731 times
I loved living overseas. Although, I missed the states at times, usually it was family or material (car, boat, motorcycle, etc.) things that I didn't have access to overseas. The things I enjoyed was the benefit of walking into a pharmacy getting what I needed without a prescription sometimes, and the hassle of dealing with insurance companies. I liked living in tax-free zones, and making more money to take care of their bills back stateside. Also I love the culture, landscape, and language of their overseas environment. Some may say America is diverse, there is lot of different culture here, which is a true statement, but most people in America feel most comfortable in their own segregated zones and rarely explore. When you're overseas, you're already embedded into a different culture so it's like you have to interact and understand the multiple cultures around you.

I lived in the middle east for a few years and enjoyed it. The ability to eat fresh food without a bunch of chemicals being sprayed on it, was very enjoyable and I could taste the difference. After tasting the food, I felt like I was deprived of things that we should be eating back in the states. I liked the fact that when I had a fever, I could walk into a clinic (without insurance) and pay about $25 to have doctor examine me, diagnose the problem, then send me next door to pay another $35 for pain killers and antibiotics that cured me within 72hours. Back in the US this type of doctor visit and prescription could reach well over $200 without insurance. My African American friends feel less discriminated against being overseas, they don't feel like the color of their skin is an issue being overseas as it is here in America. Although, there is visibly a type of working class discrimination in middle east, because one tends to notice that a lot of the customer service positions are filled by Filipinos and the construction positions taken by Indians in which they are paid very little. Westerners typically can enjoy a decent living in the middle east.

Now that I'm living back in the states, working, and paying all kinds of bills & taxes(which sucks), I wish I was back overseas.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:38 PM

526 posts, read 451,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Maybe people in the US just realize how bad this country is soley because of the horrible selfish culture we have. Of course brought on by this obsession with Libertarianism.
So true. The US would be a MUCH better (and less aggressive) country if we could just change this one thing.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:39 AM

29,971 posts, read 18,802,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
So true. The US would be a MUCH better (and less aggressive) country if we could just change this one thing.
Libertarians do not want an aggressive country and want the USA to return to our pre WWII policy of staying out of other countries business and disputes.

I lived most of the last 13 years overseas. I missed my family and some things about American culture and appreciated some things about other countries. Every time I get frustrated with the USA, I can't find another country I would prefer more to live permanently.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:29 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,269,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
Indeed, one should not try to compare "continental-sized" countries to "normal" ones. Size is not necessarily a positive thing in any case and is the major reason that every empire in history has collapsed.
I don't see why we can't compare any countries regardless of size. What is so "wrong" about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World