Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
Which mot exciting cities of mine did you agree with and which did you not agree with?
London - okay yes, but I wouldn't fly there for that.
Paris - I think of cafe culture, not sure if I think of fun.
New York - NYC is a lot of fun. I lived there. But I've had a lot more fun elsewhere.
Hong Kong - this can be a lot of fun.
Shanghai - yeah, but there are better places.
Tokyo - most people would put this tops, but i still think there are better.
Chicago - unsure.
San Francisco - i lived here, and it was okay.
Amsterdam - okay this is good.
Copenhagen - i'd have low expectations
Stockholm - most scandinavians try to drink anywhere but there.
Toronto -not better than NYC, but probably pretty good.
Montreal - i've heard montreal is a lot of fun.
Vancouver - i like the culture on that coast. not sure if it would be fun though.
Seoul - i lived here, they have great nightlife...a lot of fun. but there is better.
Seattle - its there, but wouldnt fly there for it, by any means.
Washington DC - seems like in pockets, but not sure how great.
Boston - sounds like a lot of college students.
Zurich - been there, and its not that big of a city.
Bangkok - YES, one of the best in the world.
Taipei - better than most north american cities, but one of the most boring asian ones.
Shenzhen - not sure.
Oslo - scandianvians party everywhere else, too expensive there.
Reykjavik - no.

For me, having spent a lot of time in Europe, SOuth America, Asia, and North America.

Actually, I think most Asian cities are some of the best. Brazil also has some of the best. Maybe for Europe, it would be Ibiza in Spain. In the U.S., it would be New York City by a long shot.

Generally speaking though, most Europeans get out of Europe for nightlife and fun. Americans stay in America but dont know any better. But the US has so many restrictions because of car culture, drinking and driving, etc. Only NYC doesnt have such a strong car culture, to have a great nightlife.

Just my thinking anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 02:03 AM

5,490 posts, read 13,861,856 times
Quote:
Tiger Beer
Quote:
London - okay yes, but I wouldn't fly there for that.
That is interesting that you agree London is one of the most exciting cities in the world but would not fly there fro that.
Well, London I heard is one of the most highly visited cities in the world for non domestic travelers. So millions of people from outside England/UK fly to London for fun. lol

Quote:
Paris - I think of cafe culture, not sure if I think of fun.
Paris has much more than just cafe culture. lol
To me, it seems just as exciting as New York and London.
It is also one of the most highly visited cities in the world for non domestic travelers too.

Quote:
New York - NYC is a lot of fun. I lived there. But I've had a lot more fun elsewhere.
I lived in NYC most of my life. NYC is a lot of fun but there is definitely plenty of other places someone can have a lot of fun and an equal amount of fun as NYC. Also, there are times where I was bored in NYC and I know many people that got bored there just like I know many people that got excited in almost any location.

I don't understand the types of people(I still think they are a small minority that think like this) that get overly narrow minded and delusional about NYC.

Quote:
Hong Kong - this can be a lot of fun.
Hong Kong to me seems just as fun as New York, London, and Paris.

Quote:
Shanghai - yeah, but there are better places.
Well, Shanghai still seems high up there for excitement and it is getting even better there. Shanghai seems just as fun to me as as New York, London, Paris, and Hong Kong.

Quote:
Tokyo - most people would put this tops, but i still think there are better.
I agree but Tokyo still seems high up there in excitement/fun.

Quote:
Chicago - unsure.
Oh, you never visited Chicago? It seems like you travelled all over the
world. lol I would still put Chicago pretty high up there. I think Chicago is just as exciting/fun as New York, London, Paris, Hong Kong, and Shanghai.

Quote:
San Francisco - i lived here, and it was okay.
When you say ok, do you mean San Francisco is one of the most exciting cities in the world or not? Actually I think San Francisco is just as fun/exciting as New York, Chicago, London, Paris, Hong Kong, and Shanghai.

Quote:
Amsterdam - okay this is good.
I agree. I feel like Amsterdam might be a bit overrated but still high up there in excitement. Not as equally high up as the cities I mentioned in the right above this section.

Quote:
Copenhagen - i'd have low expectations
Stockholm - most scandinavians try to drink anywhere but there

Sounds like you disagree with Copenhagen and Stockholm. Copenhagen and Stockholm to me seems just as exciting as Amsterdam and filled with excitement! Copenhagen and Stockholm seem underrated by some.

Quote:
Toronto -not better than NYC, but probably pretty good.
I do like NYC more than Toronto but I still like Toronto a lot and think it probably is one of the most exciting cities in the world too.

Quote:
Montreal - i've heard montreal is a lot of fun.
Me too. But I wonder if this is true only in Montreal's summers. I wonder how Montreal manages itself to be as exciting during its long, harsh, arctic winters... But I still would include Montreal on my list.

Quote:
Vancouver - i like the culture on that coast. not sure if it would be fun though.
Well, I personally think it is very exciting. But probably more exciting in the summer than winter.

Quote:
Seoul - i lived here, they have great nightlife...a lot of fun. but there is better.
Well, Seoul still seems like it deserves to be on the "most exciting cities in the world" list and it is still exciting even if it is not as exciting generally as New York, Chicago, London, Paris, San Francisco, Hong Kong, and Shanghai. Interesting, what is their nightlife like?

Quote:
Seattle - its there, but wouldnt fly there for it, by any means.
LOL, this sounds similar to what you said about London.

Quote:
Washington DC - seems like in pockets, but not sure how great.
Boston - sounds like a lot of college students.
Yeah, they still seem to deserve to be on the list.

Quote:
Zurich - been there, and its not that big of a city.
Size does not always matter. It still seems like it deserves to be on the list for one of the most exciting cities.

Quote:
Bangkok - YES, one of the best in the world.
Wow, this is interesting. Out of all the cities I listed, you seem to react most positively to thinking Bangkok is one of the most exciting cities.
So what are your reasons for thinking it is one of the best in the world for excitement?

Quote:
Taipei - better than most north american cities, but one of the most boring asian ones.
It seems like after Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo, Bangkok, and Seoul, it would be Taipei so it seems to be one of the most exciting Asian cities and also one of the most exciting cities in the world.

Quote:
Shenzhen - not sure.
Did you ever visit Shenzhen? Shenzhen seems to have some Hong Kong and Shanghai things about it.

Quote:
Oslo - scandianvians party everywhere else, too expensive there.
Reykjavik - no.
Oslo and Reykjavik to me seems like it should probably still be on the list, but it does not seem as exciting generally as some other Scandinavian cities such as Copenhagen, and Stockholm.

Quote:
For me, having spent a lot of time in Europe, SOuth America, Asia, and North America.

Actually, I think most Asian cities are some of the best. Brazil also has some of the best. Maybe for Europe, it would be Ibiza in Spain. In the U.S., it would be New York City by a long shot.
Personally, I think areas of the USA, areas of Europe(England, France, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland), Asia(China, Japan, Thailand, South Korea) , and areas of Canada are the best for excitement.

I don't see how any places in South America, Central America, or Africa would be on the list.

Also, there are plenty of places in the USA that have plenty of excitement so I do not think it is NYC by a long shot. There are plenty of places that compete.

Quote:
Generally speaking though, most Europeans get out of Europe for nightlife and fun. Americans stay in America but dont know any better.
Actually, it seems like most Europeans stay in Europe for excitement and fun and people from elsewhere come to Europe for it. lol
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I should mention that excitement can be subjective most of the time since someone can find excitement or boredom wherever they live and visit in the world. Despite that, there are certain places where it is easier to find excitement/fun or boredom more than other places. However, someone can still find boredom in the cities I listed and others listed on this thread and someone can still find lots of excitement in cities and especially non-city places that people didn't mention on this thread.

Last edited by *******; 05-02-2011 at 02:18 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times
The europhiles and *i-like-anything-asian* crowds amuse me

All the people saying cities like shanghai,tokyo,paris,hong kong etc, how many of you know the languages of those places. Unless you know japanese or french your not going to have more fun in those cities than somewhere diverse like nyc or miami
like seriously
Also it depends on your music preference aswell. Me personally im big on hip hop and randb and a little pop.So In that case,for me and plenty others, clubs in america would blow overseas clubs out the water

Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,799,763 times
lol!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 PM

2,924 posts, read 5,584,762 times
obviously not everyone agrees w/ you kony. go to sosua, dominican republic on a weekend night and it seems like half the guys in classicos and other places are black new yorkers trying to live like hip hop stars.

same with rio. or colombian cities, all the guys i hang out w/ down there are black east coast guys. they obviously feel the nightlife is better in other places.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
The europhiles and *i-like-anything-asian* crowds amuse me

All the people saying cities like shanghai,tokyo,paris,hong kong etc, how many of you know the languages of those places. Unless you know japanese or french your not going to have more fun in those cities than somewhere diverse like nyc or miami
like seriously
Also it depends on your music preference aswell. Me personally im big on hip hop and randb and a little pop.So In that case,for me and plenty others, clubs in america would blow overseas clubs out the water
That sounds so racist and narrow minded but I am not surprised that this is coming from you.
Also, you aren't speaking in complete sentences and in complete punctuation. You also live in the South Bronx and never visited anywhere outside NYC. So what can I say, of course you will have these views which VERY FEW will agree with.

And most people like music that is much better than hip hop such as rock n roll, electronica, and jazz so Europe and Asia seems just as good or even better than the USA for that. Even if some hip hop is good, most hip hop is trash.

Come on, you can be like me and millions of others that like many other places in the world and not just NYC. I am getting so tired of seeing your posts related to that topic...

Last edited by *******; 05-02-2011 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 05:22 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Actually, NYC is MUCH better than about 98% of the cities in the world. I think few European cities could compare. When you mentioned London and Paris in relation to them being 'fun' or 'exciting', my immediate impression is that tourism doesn't necessarily travel for 'fun' or 'excitement'. They generally travel to take in touristic sites and site-see. Not correlated to nightlife and fun.

Chicago - I've been there a few times Just never wanted to get a hotel and get drunk downtown. It seems like it's car centric and mostly built for yuppies with downtown condos or people in hotels due to conventions or other business reasons. Because of that, I just disregarded it, for better or worse.

San Francisco - I lived there for a year. Not that fun. Bars close around 1am, but public transportation closes at 12:30am, so therefore most bars try to close earlier so their employees can get home. It's also more car culture than it seems to think it is. Because of this, nightlife just sucks royally, particularly compared to NYC. On the plus side, it's creative and interesting, which appeals to certain demographics, but not necessarily to every kind of person looking for good nightlife.

Seoul - yeah, 24 hours...many nights spent drinking all night only to be shocked to see the sun come up. It's not like the nightlife is incredibly interesting. It's just that there is so much of it, and it just keeps on going and going and going, that it is interesting.

Bangkok - Top in the world, because literally everything that is possible on this earth, does and will happen in Bangkok all day every day, ever minute, every second. It's basically cheap, and a world destination for all kinds of people. Other reasons too. Not ones that I necessarily are attracted to. But basically anything you can possibily imagine in any shape or form, can happen to you for very little money there.

Excitment in general. It depends on what a person's interpretation of excitement is. For me, I feel that 'excitement' and 'interesting' and 'nightlife' is all 100% connected to meeting people of the opposite gender. If that is a person's goal with nightlife, than places in Asia, South America, etc. should be at the top of the list. If a person's interpretation of good nightlife is related to, ahmm...best shows or talent or some other spectator sport where you sit in a defined seat and watch someone else do something in a very non-sexual, routine, other type of function - than, yeah, sterile places of just 'western countries' in general seem to have of that.

Quote:
That is interesting that you agree London is one of the most exciting cities in the world but would not fly there fro that.
Well, London I heard is one of the most highly visited cities in the world for non domestic travelers. So millions of people from outside England/UK fly to London for fun. lol

Paris has much more than just cafe culture. lol
To me, it seems just as exciting as New York and London.
It is also one of the most highly visited cities in the world for non domestic travelers too.

I lived in NYC most of my life. NYC is a lot of fun but there is definitely plenty of other places someone can have a lot of fun and an equal amount of fun as NYC. Also, there are times where I was bored in NYC and I know many people that got bored there just like I know many people that got excited in almost any location.

I don't understand the types of people(I still think they are a small minority that think like this) that get overly narrow minded and delusional about NYC.

Hong Kong to me seems just as fun as New York, London, and Paris.

Well, Shanghai still seems high up there for excitement and it is getting even better there. Shanghai seems just as fun to me as as New York, London, Paris, and Hong Kong.

I agree but Tokyo still seems high up there in excitement/fun.

Oh, you never visited Chicago? It seems like you travelled all over the
world. lol I would still put Chicago pretty high up there. I think Chicago is just as exciting/fun as New York, London, Paris, Hong Kong, and Shanghai.

When you say ok, do you mean San Francisco is one of the most exciting cities in the world or not? Actually I think San Francisco is just as fun/exciting as New York, Chicago, London, Paris, Hong Kong, and Shanghai.

I agree. I feel like Amsterdam might be a bit overrated but still high up there in excitement. Not as equally high up as the cities I mentioned in the right above this section.

Sounds like you disagree with Copenhagen and Stockholm. Copenhagen and Stockholm to me seems just as exciting as Amsterdam and filled with excitement! Copenhagen and Stockholm seem underrated by some.

I do like NYC more than Toronto but I still like Toronto a lot and think it probably is one of the most exciting cities in the world too.

Me too. But I wonder if this is true only in Montreal's summers. I wonder how Montreal manages itself to be as exciting during its long, harsh, arctic winters... But I still would include Montreal on my list.

Well, I personally think it is very exciting. But probably more exciting in the summer than winter.

Well, Seoul still seems like it deserves to be on the "most exciting cities in the world" list and it is still exciting even if it is not as exciting generally as New York, Chicago, London, Paris, San Francisco, Hong Kong, and Shanghai. Interesting, what is their nightlife like?

LOL, this sounds similar to what you said about London.

Yeah, they still seem to deserve to be on the list.

Size does not always matter. It still seems like it deserves to be on the list for one of the most exciting cities.

Wow, this is interesting. Out of all the cities I listed, you seem to react most positively to thinking Bangkok is one of the most exciting cities.
So what are your reasons for thinking it is one of the best in the world for excitement?

It seems like after Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo, Bangkok, and Seoul, it would be Taipei so it seems to be one of the most exciting Asian cities and also one of the most exciting cities in the world.

Did you ever visit Shenzhen? Shenzhen seems to have some Hong Kong and Shanghai things about it.

Oslo and Reykjavik to me seems like it should probably still be on the list, but it does not seem as exciting generally as some other Scandinavian cities such as Copenhagen, and Stockholm.

Personally, I think areas of the USA, areas of Europe(England, France, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland), Asia(China, Japan, Thailand, South Korea) , and areas of Canada are the best for excitement.

I don't see how any places in South America, Central America, or Africa would be on the list.

Also, there are plenty of places in the USA that have plenty of excitement so I do not think it is NYC by a long shot. There are plenty of places that compete.

Actually, it seems like most Europeans stay in Europe for excitement and fun and people from elsewhere come to Europe for it. lol
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I should mention that excitement can be subjective most of the time since someone can find excitement or boredom wherever they live and visit in the world. Despite that, there are certain places where it is easier to find excitement/fun or boredom more than other places. However, someone can still find boredom in the cities I listed and others listed on this thread and someone can still find lots of excitement in cities and especially non-city places that people didn't mention on this thread.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times
Quote:
That sounds so racist and narrow minded but I am not surprised that this is coming from you.
Also, you aren't speaking in complete sentences and in complete punctuation. You also live in the South Bronx and never visited anywhere outside NYC. So what can I say, of course you will have these views which VERY FEW will agree with.

And most people like music that is much better than hip hop such as rock n roll, electronica, and jazz so Europe and Asia seems just as good or even better than the USA for that. Even if some hip hop is good, most hip hop is trash.

Come on, you can be like me and millions of others that like many other places in the world and not just NYC. I am getting so tired of seeing your posts related to that topic...
1. You keep mentioning the fact that i live in the south bronx. I live in the east bronx in an area separated from the urban blight of the south bronx. I even gave you a link showing you where i live. So who's really ignorant?

2.Your music opinion and preference is exactly that......a preference. The fact that there are many hip hop clubs around the world(like club harlem in tokyo) dispels what your saying. Hip hop would get a party rocking than any of those genres. Who goes to a club to listen to rock? lmao

And 3. Why are you so obsessed with me liking other places? I never said i didnt like other places lol

Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 AM

1. No, you are the one that is ignorant with more than just one thing...

I saw where you live and what apartment and you do live in the South Bronx. It is literally 10 blocks away from East Tremont.

Also, I think you said before you never travelled outside NYC.

2. No, I didn't say all hip hop is trash. There is some good hip hop. But most hip hop is trash.
I would say rock n roll, electronica, and jazz are more popular than trash hip hop music and are much better music genres. But if someone wants to continue poisoning their minds with the trashy hip hop, then they can just go ahead and do that.

3. Well, that is good you like other places too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
1. You keep mentioning the fact that i live in the south bronx. I live in the east bronx in an area separated from the urban blight of the south bronx. I even gave you a link showing you where i live. So who's really ignorant?

2.Your music opinion and preference is exactly that......a preference. The fact that there are many hip hop clubs around the world(like club harlem in tokyo) dispels what your saying. Hip hop would get a party rocking than any of those genres. Who goes to a club to listen to rock? lmao

And 3. Why are you so obsessed with me liking other places? I never said i didnt like other places lol

Old 05-04-2011, 12:55 AM

Ok, while I do like NYC a lot and find it being able to be exciting there are plenty of other places that I like a lot too and where I can easily find excitement too.

So I would never say something like "NYC is MUCH better than about 98% of the cities in the world." With that topic, that just sounds too simplistic, narrow minded, and like someone insulting 98% of the world...

And when I was in high school in NYC you wouldn't believe how many people in my age group I met that were actually bored a lot of the time, and most of the time didn't really do things that were more unique or different from what people in that age group do in many other places. I know people of all age groups that just have been bored in NYC too sometimes or just wanted a change of scenery just like how someone could have fun/be excited in any place or be bored in any place.

So NYC is overrated then in some ways.

And today was one of those days here where I did not enjoy my time in NYC and even didn't like it that much and found it kind of overrated.
But then again the few days before I felt the complete opposite and was enjoying my time here a lot. I think my day today was probably not so great because of other reasons.

Chicago and San Francisco to me seems just about as fun as NYC.
So what the transportation closes at 12 30 am and the bars/night life place at 1am in San Francisco? Nightlife is usually best from 7pm-1am anyways.

Yeah, different people have different interpretations for excitement/fun, and someone could go into phases where they find different things exciting/fun than other times. I definitely can go through phases like that. I think most people do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually, NYC is MUCH better than about 98% of the cities in the world. I think few European cities could compare. When you mentioned London and Paris in relation to them being 'fun' or 'exciting', my immediate impression is that tourism doesn't necessarily travel for 'fun' or 'excitement'. They generally travel to take in touristic sites and site-see. Not correlated to nightlife and fun.

Chicago - I've been there a few times Just never wanted to get a hotel and get drunk downtown. It seems like it's car centric and mostly built for yuppies with downtown condos or people in hotels due to conventions or other business reasons. Because of that, I just disregarded it, for better or worse.

San Francisco - I lived there for a year. Not that fun. Bars close around 1am, but public transportation closes at 12:30am, so therefore most bars try to close earlier so their employees can get home. It's also more car culture than it seems to think it is. Because of this, nightlife just sucks royally, particularly compared to NYC. On the plus side, it's creative and interesting, which appeals to certain demographics, but not necessarily to every kind of person looking for good nightlife.

Seoul - yeah, 24 hours...many nights spent drinking all night only to be shocked to see the sun come up. It's not like the nightlife is incredibly interesting. It's just that there is so much of it, and it just keeps on going and going and going, that it is interesting.

Bangkok - Top in the world, because literally everything that is possible on this earth, does and will happen in Bangkok all day every day, ever minute, every second. It's basically cheap, and a world destination for all kinds of people. Other reasons too. Not ones that I necessarily are attracted to. But basically anything you can possibily imagine in any shape or form, can happen to you for very little money there.

Excitment in general. It depends on what a person's interpretation of excitement is. For me, I feel that 'excitement' and 'interesting' and 'nightlife' is all 100% connected to meeting people of the opposite gender. If that is a person's goal with nightlife, than places in Asia, South America, etc. should be at the top of the list. If a person's interpretation of good nightlife is related to, ahmm...best shows or talent or some other spectator sport where you sit in a defined seat and watch someone else do something in a very non-sexual, routine, other type of function - than, yeah, sterile places of just 'western countries' in general seem to have of that.

Last edited by *******; 05-04-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World