Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,550,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The above list.

While I'm sure many of them are pleasant, only a few of them I'd put on the 'world's most exciting' cities list.

Of course it depends what is exciting to you !

For me exciting is a lot of beautiful architecture, a real sense of history, great cultural and culinary life, big emphasis on the arts and accessible scenic beauty. Boring for me would be a lack of all those and modern cities with no beating hearts for example. If it doesn't keep my interest for very long then it does not excite me in the slightest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 PM

810 posts, read 1,571,464 times
Orlando

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEN_M...eature=related

Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 PM

4,858 posts, read 7,565,117 times
Tokyo

Old 01-14-2011, 12:53 PM

1,416 posts, read 1,084,820 times
LOL @ Orlando, Miami would be the only city in Florida or the south that even comes close to being one of the most exciting cities in the world.

I'd have to say NYC as the most exciting.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:17 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,692 times
New York F@cking City

Old 01-15-2011, 09:45 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,935,667 times
I never tire of NYC. Im never bored in NYC. Too much culture and things to do; not enough time.
I'd also add Shanghai and Hong Kong to that list.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:23 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,800,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
New York City which is like the unofficial capital of the world.
why is that? if its about culture, diversity, size, history, business, standing in the world, famous residents, things to do etc i think london can run new york close, not saying new york isn't a great city, but you can't really say it's a better city than london. both similar in size, both great history, both multi-cultural (london the most in the world), both major financial centres, both great music scenes, west end and broadway, they aren't much between them as great cities, i don't think you can say on is better than the other, i suppose it's about what the individual prefers.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:09 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,595,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
in the whole world i think there will be lots of great cities, rio being one of them, london, new york, paris, rome, sydney, tokyo, toronto, and a host of others would all be great diverse cities with countless things going on
Obviously, this question is subjective as the person's preferences who responds, but your list seems as good as any (though I'd remove Toronto-- doesn't belong in this company -- and add Madrid, Chicago, Rio de Janeiro, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Instanbul and perhaps Mexico City and Los Angeles, given Mouseketeer's criteria).

btw-- edited to add Shanghai and Honk Kong

Last edited by BigLake; 01-21-2011 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 PM

14 posts, read 37,403 times
hmm..I have lots

-New York City
-Hong Kong
-Tokyo
-Shanghai
-Singapore
-London
-Istanbul
-Paris
-Rome
-Amsterdam

love those cities, each of them has its own uniqueness and something to offer.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,827,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Of course it depends what is exciting to you !

For me exciting is a lot of beautiful architecture, a real sense of history, great cultural and culinary life, big emphasis on the arts and accessible scenic beauty. Boring for me would be a lack of all those and modern cities with no beating hearts for example. If it doesn't keep my interest for very long then it does not excite me in the slightest.
Well said. That is exactly how I would describe an "exciting city". I hate cities that claim to be great because they have modern skyscrapers and a TGI Fridays downtown. For it to be exciting for me, it has to have what you listed above, and it has to feel like the city grew that way because that's how life is there (modern cities feel like they're trying to compete with each other to build taller buildings, sometimes with no interest about creating great walkable environments with good food, art, etc.).

Of the cities I've visited, here is my list of most exciting:

Rio
Rome
Paris
Barcelona
San Fran
NYC
London
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World