Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,899,589 times

Advertisements

Well, out of the cities i've been to I'd say Shanghai. NYC and London (and Seoul to a lesser extent) are definitely exciting but Shanghai's greatness lies in its future. Sure, it's overcrowded and polluted but there is a raw energy there. I suppose exciting is pretty subjective but to me ceaseless change is exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,899,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
USA isn't the most powerful nation anymore. Since 2009, China is more powerful in regard of Military, Finances, Trade (unfortunately)
What in the world are you talking about? Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:27 PM

75 posts, read 115,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
USA isn't the most powerful nation anymore. Since 2009, China is more powerful in regard of Military, Finances, Trade (unfortunately)
How so? The US economy is a little shy of being 3 times the size of the Chinese economy in nominal dollars.

List of countries by GDP (nominal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Additionally the us spends roughly $664 billion on its military while China spends $99 billion on its.

List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,997,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
New York City which is like the unofficial capital of the world.
True. Yet, there are cities that make NYC seem about as exciting as Boise, Idaho...

Like Rio, or Bangkok.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,072,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
True. Yet, there are cities that make NYC seem about as exciting as Boise, Idaho...

Like Rio, or Bangkok.
you cant be serious

Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,842,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
New York City which is like the unofficial capital of the world.
I love NYC, but am I the only one that's sick of this unofficial capital of the world crap?

Yeah, NYC has a great vibe, lots of amenities, one of the largest GDPs in the world, etc., but I can only imagine that non-Americans see this "Unofficial Capital of the World" title as extremely ethnocentric. There are many great cities out there that are NOT NYC (and that I prefer over NY). Oh, and I'm American.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM

385 posts, read 857,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Well, out of the cities i've been to I'd say Shanghai. NYC and London (and Seoul to a lesser extent) are definitely exciting but Shanghai's greatness lies in its future. Sure, it's overcrowded and polluted but there is a raw energy there. I suppose exciting is pretty subjective but to me ceaseless change is exciting.
I must agree, Shanghi is full of energy and life

Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 PM

36,961 posts, read 38,968,191 times
NYC and Shanghai are my top picks. From what I've heard, Berlin belongs on the list, too.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 AM

59 posts, read 258,588 times
The best place I ever lived was Las Vegas. That was in the 1980s however. Its not the same now. In truth, America is pretty lame for nighlife compared to the best places in the world. The best place I've ever been for nighttlife was Pattaya, Thailand. There's no second best. Rio de Janeiro is good for a short time but it has changed for the worse. Maybe Mombassa, Kenya is my answer. The single best night of my life was in Hong Kong.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:56 AM

230 posts, read 902,816 times
Quote:
Rio de Janeiro is good for a short time but it has changed for the worse.
Not sure how Rio has changed for the worst. When I first arrived here in 2000 the nightlife was near dead with the exception of some lame nightclubs in the south zone, samba schools and many, many prostitute bars. There are less prostitute bars now and Help (the biggest prostitute night club) has closed. So maybe this is what you mean, but as far as people who are not into whoring on a regular basis, the nightlife has gotten way better. Judging by you favorite nightlife place, Pattaya, I would assume this is what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World