Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:14 AM

59 posts, read 233,792 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that generally most people in England are much less friendly and polite than people in US. Sometimes I don’t like it. Although I like that in England I don’t see fake smiles on the faces like I had seen in Midwest, US. It was unbearable.

I would like to ask someone who lived in Germany. How people in Germany are comparing to people in England or US? Are they more polite and friendly or not? What is your opinion?

It is interesting of someone share his/her experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,267,533 times
Most friendly: Americans, then English, then Germans.
I am talking about superficial friendliness aka "OMG! It is so NICE to see you!!". Everything else is hard to judge and it depends on the person rather than the nationality.
Also, there are definitely things Americans would find offensive but Germans would be just fine with it or find them even polite/friendly. Again, it depends on the person and not really on the nationality though.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM

2,656 posts, read 510,491 times
Americans are the most friendly among the group you mention, although I must admit I haven't spent that much time around Germans to have much of an opinion even though a fair amount of them attend the University I go to. English people are drab (much like the weather there), and very impolite. Where I'm from, it is commonplace to greet someone while walking down the street. I've done that a few times in England, and the people looked at me like I was stupid. As if, "who are you to be greeting us?"

Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,993,316 times
I am not quite sure that "friendliness" is really the appropriate term! I think what is often interpreted as friendliness is actually more along the lines of "openness." By that, I mean the degree to which is population is willing to embrace another person.

In the US, I find that people are quite open. In general, I feel welcomed with people quick to talk to me. I also find most people receptive to the idea of me starting a conversation - even though they are complete strangers.

I find that Germans are far less open. I would describe them as "closed" - although there are variations. Cologne, for example, is home to a very open demographic - try any of the bars and you'll find that you are never alone. Someone will talk to you...

That said, once Germans trust you and know you as a reliable friend, their friendliness surpasses that of Americans. They will be more than happy to help you out whereas Americans tend to make offers that they don't necessarily intend to fulfill. Again, I am grossly generalizing and I am quite aware of it.

While you may initially experience a larger degree of "friendliness" from Americans, you will also be forgotten much quicker. Germans tend to maintain and cultivate their friendships.

My exposure to the English has been much more limited and I can only guess that they fall somewhere in between.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM

344 posts, read 459,737 times
1. Germans
2. Americans
3. English

Old 01-17-2011, 04:48 PM

657 posts, read 694,563 times
Can't really say anything about Americans, but we do get a lot of German tourists over here, mostly families with little children and they're a friendly lot

Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 AM

361 posts, read 833,317 times
As a Belgian who's visited both countries ,the result is:
1) Americans
2) English
3) German

Old 01-18-2011, 02:04 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,102,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
once Germans trust you and know you as a reliable friend, their friendliness surpasses that of Americans. They will be more than happy to help you out whereas Americans tend to make offers that they don't necessarily intend to fulfill.
While you may initially experience a larger degree of "friendliness" from Americans, you will also be forgotten much quicker. Germans tend to maintain and cultivate their friendships.
This has also been my experience.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:31 AM

990 posts, read 1,841,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribman1787 View Post
English people are drab (much like the weather there), and very impolite. Where I'm from, it is commonplace to greet someone while walking down the street. I've done that a few times in England, and the people looked at me like I was stupid. As if, "who are you to be greeting us?"
I think this very much depends on the density where you are. When I am in a town or city at home in Germany or in England or America, people do not greet each other. In a small village or when hiking almost everybody says hello.

Also, I am not sure if greeting defines friendliness. In Germany you say goodby to the when leaving a shop after having paid. As I am so used to that I always say goodby to every cashdesk person in America, but they often look at me as if I was stupid.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,469,776 times
Being an American (New Yorkers) who has lived in Britain and speaks German, I will try and weigh in.

Germans and other continental Europeans are the friendliest, defined as genuine friendliness. They will turn and talk to you in a pub. They seem cold, but it is in fact just being reserved when you watch their faces as you pass them on the street.

Brits remind me of New Yorkers, in that they bear the same stiff expression, while having no qualms with a "F' you!" when you **** them off.

There is no facsimile of the stereotypical rural American who says "Bless his little heart" for "I hate that motherf'ing son of a..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World