Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:35 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,731,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Most people?" I'd hate to see the type of people you hang out with to have formed such an opinion.
Perhaps I should have used the word windfall rather than settlement, but are you telling me that most of the people you know wouldn't like to have a few mil drop in their lap? Really? I'm not saying most people would go the effort of wrongfully suing someone to get it, just that most people dream of having that much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 03:26 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,486,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
but are you telling me that most of the people you know wouldn't like to have a few mil drop in their lap?
Of course they would, but most people are moral and wouldn't frivilously sue someone for it.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:55 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,968,009 times
Another aggravating factor is our health care and disability system. In terms of health care that slip and fall on the toy could generate tens of thousands worth of dollars worth of medical bills and disability does not pay well at all(You have to be disabled five months to earn it).

If you are injured to anything more than Tylenol and some X-rays, you are going to have to sue to recoup your costs. Like lost wages. Sick days in the US are established by contract not law so you may have no sick days or a variable amount depending on contract and your sick days might not even be paid! If you are lucky you are salaried so that your pay does not drop with the injury or you have a generous contract such that you get paid at a reduced rate. There is short and long term disability insurance but most people don’t purchase that.

Most employed people won’t sue over $200 worth of bills due to hassle and lost time from work. However if you had $10,000 worth of bills due to that fall and you could not work sueing would be an attractive option.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 AM

77,798 posts, read 59,963,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Of course they would, but most people are moral and wouldn't frivilously sue someone for it.
In your circle of friends yes.

I can state unequivocably that there are parts of this country that a HIGH proportion of the residents would gladly inflate (or fabricate) thier injuries etc. to get as much money as possible.

I wish more people were like you.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:08 AM

16 posts, read 32,553 times
Medical malpractice lawsuits are used as weapons these days. I think there should be new guidelines and limitations should be set before suing anyone.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:48 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,114,343 times
I know this cultural perception exists and that it is based somewhat on truth, but I personally have never done this and I don't even know anyone who has been on either end of civil litigation.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 PM

212 posts, read 398,769 times
The majority of Chinese and Japanese people know every American owns a gun; they also know every American will sue McDonald's because its coffee is too hot

BTW, Subways outnumber McDonald's worldwide (http://www.seattlepi.com/business/1310ap_us_subway_mcdonalds.html - broken link)

Old 03-11-2011, 07:59 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,551,406 times
Bsacially all you have to do is look at the numbers graduating law school really. Mnay i th media for example actaulyl have law degrees now days.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:42 AM

226 posts, read 411,531 times
In Japan its a different perspective. Over there there's rarely a my fault and your fault finding. Example, youare stopped at a traffic light and a drunk driver rear ends you. Its not unheard of for you to be found 25% at fault, because you supposedly should have noticed the other car, and blown the traffic light to get out of the way. (Yes this is speaking from real world examples)

Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh0341 View Post
In Japan its a different perspective. Over there there's rarely a my fault and your fault finding. Example, youare stopped at a traffic light and a drunk driver rear ends you. Its not unheard of for you to be found 25% at fault, because you supposedly should have noticed the other car, and blown the traffic light to get out of the way. (Yes this is speaking from real world examples)
One thing my brother learned when he was stationed in Korea is that if you're in a cab and the cab gets in an accident, you get the hell out of the cab flee the scene (usually in another cab), because you'll be held at least partially liable for having hired the cab thus prompting the cab to be where it was when the accident occurred. They seem to have a bizarre view of proximate cause over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World