Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM

18 posts, read 56,613 times

Advertisements

A lot of the hit view points here hit the nail on the head:
- too many lawyers
- jury system (tell a good story to the jury and you could go home rich)
- too many corporations (deep pockets to sue)
- litigation of the 80's and 90's where million dollar verdicts and settlements were common so greed-
- many courts
-many judges
- a society that believes in "rights"
- competitiveness- Americans love to compete even for 2 inches of dirt between neighbors
-busy legislatures making new laws daily
- many agencies interpreting the passed statutes
- lawyers ready to challenge the new statutes or regulations
- each State having its own legal system
- then the federal legal system reserving some of the turf for itself
- the US constitution as a "living document"
- politics and the effects of elected judges
- too many roads (personal injury cases)
- too much stress (assaults, murders, arson etc)
-intellectual property development - some countries hardly have IP litigation
- technological developments resulted in new areas for litigation
- love for business- contracts that need to be enforced
- underemployed lawyers looking for work- can sue so long as not frivolous
- speed of adjudication- cases that take years to resolve overseas can be resolved here quickly
- "discovery" system in US system- you can ask what color pants someone was wearing - get documents etc
- Bonds:you need not post expensive bonds in US before suing unlike in most countries
- law schools graduating thousands of new lawyers every Spring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 04:26 PM

643 posts, read 1,118,756 times
I thought America sued LOADS but it turns out Britain us just as bad, if not worse!

Surrey police have said that we should not protect our garden shed from burglars as we may get sued if they get injured.

It turns out that now in Britain we can't even protect our own property without being sued. Is this worse than America? You tell me.

Villagers outraged after police order them not to protect garden sheds | Mail Online

Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,752,196 times
After living in the us for over 25 years, I can say yes, the americans do sue more often. They have nothing to loose.
I was sued a few years ago for $5 million. It was a car accident, where it really was a set up car accident. But the other party (no injuries, she drove home) sued me.
When it came to the deposition, it was shown that it was the 4th accident she had in 2 years, the other 3, she settled. When the questions were getting too deep, she started crying and had to be removed. She didnt understand a lot (not true) of what was being asked of her.

She got $23,000. Honestly, it should have been thrown out due to the amount of settled cases she had, the fact that nobody was injured and that she drove home.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:02 PM

7,646 posts, read 18,044,573 times
I've heard that Chinese like to sue too, in the case involving the two-year-old child who was ran over and bystanders passed by. One of the possible reasons cited for this was a fear of doing something wrong or something and being sued.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:37 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,980,692 times
Quote:

That litigious US-culture is an object to study in European court classes. It is a fact that Americans sue so much. Why exactly that is, I don't know. I can only tell something from my experiences and what I've read here.

-If you want to sue someone here, it goes to a so called "peace judge". That judge wants to solve the problem without a lawsuit. Most cases are solved that way. He/she informs about the chances of winning and tries to negotiate between.
- Judges are payed by the government. They don't get a % or an amount of the fine. (They are payed well)
- Judges laugh about stupid cases.
- It is possible to sue your own governement. No problem.
The American influence! Pfffft! Seriously I think these idiotic court cases should just be thrown out for being ridiculously stupid! And have the people filing them get arrested and imprisoned for wasting the court's time! Case and example, burglar suing homeowner like in the link at post 52!

Anyway, regarding the right to self-defense of your person and property from criminal trespassing, it should be absolute if you ask me! If you're a burglar and you get hurt badly cuz you scrapped your leg on a rusty trip wire on my fence, too bad for you! Go and bleed to death or die of tetanus for all I care! Its your fault for being an idiot by making a living stealing from someone else! My two cents on the matter!

Last edited by mrconfusion87; 11-13-2011 at 07:47 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 02:06 PM

698 posts, read 1,503,856 times
A lot of people sue in the U.S but it is far from the majority. With a country of 300+ million and a media that reports everything its not like every American is out there suing everyone and everything.

Also consider that most lawsuits never make it through the courts. They get reviewed but that's as far as they make it.

Since nobody has posted any statistics of any sorts, everything everyone has said on this thread is an assumption. Nobody has yet to prove that the USA is the most "sue happy" country.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:49 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,104,781 times
I've known very few people that were involved in any kind of lawsuit. I believe that the notion of frivolous lawsuits crippling our society is propaganda put out by large corporations, to get legislation passed that has limited their liability for wrongdoing (such as cars that accelerate out of control and cause accidents, or whose brakes fail, or a meatpacking plant with lax hygiene that has caused permanent disability and death).

Let's take the notion that McDonalds was frivolously sued by a woman who spilled some hot coffee on herself. Everyone thinks she was at fault and got millions out of McDonalds for it ..... but in fact she suffered a large number of 3rd degree burns, was permanently scarred, was completely disabled for 2 years ...... and the millions of dollars? After all was said and done, she was awarded $640,000. It wasn't enough of a punishment for McDonalds to reduce their coffee temp from almost boiling hot, to the temperature people normally make it at home. http://www.slip-and-sue.com/the-famo...uit-revisited/

Because of propaganda like that, the ability of Americans to engage in class-action lawsuits has now been greatly curtailed. In other words, big business won again.

The only real problem in the US has been with frivolous medical malpractice suits in my opinion, which have driven the cost of malpractice insurance up to the point where doctors don't want to work in some specialties like ob/gyn because of the large number of suits. But I think they could reform the laws for medical malpractice without going whole hog on all civil suits.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,183,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Its a God given right to eat six Big Mc meals and sue because youre fat!
I'm sure you can find and link to even one such lawsuit.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:16 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Number of people per lawyer:

Israel 171
USA 265
Brazil 326
New Zealand 391
Spain 395
UK 401
Italy 488
Germany 593
France 1,403

The number of lawyers does not necessarily reflect the number of litigations. In Russia, the average civil case is resolved in court in less than a month, while in Malta, the average is over two years.

Also, the number of lawyers can reflect the difficulty of certification. In Mexico, there is no bar exam, and you can legally practice law as soon as you have your accredited law degree.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-07-2011 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World