Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:07 PM

304 posts, read 781,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown2004 View Post
Hong Kong, the public transit is so extensive that 95% of the population use it to travel.
agree. many choices (public & private) - subways, trains, double-decker buses, trams, mini-buses, taxis.
another city/country is singapore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 03:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
It's not about density of population, it's availability of alternate methods of transportation than a car. I lived in a village in England that only had one bus a day in and out. Life would have been easier with a car but I didnt need one, I managed fine without by being organized. But where I live now just outside Chicago you can't even walk places safely because there aren't any sidewalks and the roads are too busy, even though way more people live in this village than the English one.
But density of population certainly has a relationship with the feasibility of public transportation. It's not a guaranteed method of determining if you don't need a car, but a good indicator.

Your example of the small English town was an ok example for not needing a car, but not great. What if you had to travel out of town at hours that were at odds with the bus' schedule? Let's say that town was twice as big and denser, do you think it'd be more likely that there would be more bus service? There may be extreme examples where that's not the case, but I'd argue it's more likely.

The US is different than most of the world because everything is so auto-dependent. Any density under 4k could mean that they're sprawling suburbs that aren't served by public transport. If you go above 4k (or even at 4k), you're very likely to at least have bus service and hopefully some sidewalks.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:17 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Looking it up I'd guess you don't need a car in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It's very densely populated and most of Bangladesh's people apparently don't even have cars. I've heard Scandinavian cities are often not car-oriented.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 32,952 times
Like most major international cities, there is no need for a car if you live in or around Seoul, South Korea. I lived about an hour south of there and frequently used their public transportation; mainly the subway but they also have different kinds of buses and taxis. People do have cars there but I couldn't imagine owning one and driving thru all that traffic!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM

410 posts, read 949,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Looking it up I'd guess you don't need a car in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It's very densely populated and most of Bangladesh's people apparently don't even have cars. I've heard Scandinavian cities are often not car-oriented.
I think its worth bearing in mind that some cities have low car ownership for reasons other than their excellent public transport systems, and that the definition of 'need' various quite considerably between, say, the US and Bangladesh...

Old 02-06-2011, 05:06 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,667,942 times
It's fascinating how - with respect to the US - people have a distorted view of public transport (I'm assuming mostly outside the US):

- San Francisco has mediocre public transit, at best, with streetcars, a limited BART set of lines, and buses. SF's public transit system isn't anywhere near as robust as Boston's, for example.

- Chicago, which is completely absent from this list, has one of the best public transit systems in the US - certainly better than Philadelphia and - probably - Boston.

- Where's Washington D.C.? The metro and affiliated buses is fabulous (certainly compared to many other cities).

- Also, there are a number of American cities - like San Diego and even LA - that have belatedly begun to put mass transit systems in place. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm hoping we'll see a lot more light rail development in the US as gas prices inevitably rise.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
I think its worth bearing in mind that some cities have low car ownership for reasons other than their excellent public transport systems, and that the definition of 'need' various quite considerably between, say, the US and Bangladesh...
Yeah, I almost did add "Probably few of them can afford cars" but I thought that could sound insulting. Still either way they do make do without cars I reckon.

My sister feels she needs a car when she's in Japan as she doesn't always get the train schedule right and being American she probably likes the idea of traveling outside the city on her own. Still I think Japanese cities are fairly non-car oriented.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:05 PM

26,870 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Just a hunch but I'd say there aren't many little girls in the Home Counties (London suburbia) that go to Saturday afternoon gymnastics class on public transport...

Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 5,216 times
you definately need a car if you live in tuscany....everything is spread out but if you live in florence then maybe you wont need one.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,023,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
A car is a neccessity for families with small children in most cites.
Agree very much. I grew up in India, and although we had buses/rail, it would have been a nightmare without a car. I would say having a car is makes your life a hundred times easier in any city in India, not least because the public transport is often overcrowded, erratic, unsafe, or slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World