Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
It's fascinating how - with respect to the US - people have a distorted view of public transport (I'm assuming mostly outside the US):

- San Francisco has mediocre public transit, at best, with streetcars, a limited BART set of lines, and buses. SF's public transit system isn't anywhere near as robust as Boston's, for example.

- Chicago, which is completely absent from this list, has one of the best public transit systems in the US - certainly better than Philadelphia and - probably - Boston.

- Where's Washington D.C.? The metro and affiliated buses is fabulous (certainly compared to many other cities).

- Also, there are a number of American cities - like San Diego and even LA - that have belatedly begun to put mass transit systems in place. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm hoping we'll see a lot more light rail development in the US as gas prices inevitably rise.
Glad I read the entire thread, as this is what i was thinking as I went through the posts. Lots of people come to Chicago with a car and sell it a year later, especially those in their 20's. I could have lived in LA without a car, but my junker provided flexibility to get around, better than the bus and relatively new metro lines. Surprisingly, I knew lots of people in LA living without cars, even with their relatively poor public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma Jaydes View Post
NYC is the only one that comes to mind since at least half the locals don't have a vehicle. I agree we North Americans are car dependant.
More than we realize, in some US cities, car ownership is a choice, not a necessity. I haven't owned a car most of my adult life. Everywhere I've lived, public transport has met my needs: the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, Santa Fe, NM. San Francisco has the best bus system I've ever seen. Only NYC has a better transport system in my experience, due to the subway. Portland, OR, has an excellent public transport system, too.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:48 AM

370 posts, read 654,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayv777 View Post
you definately need a car if you live in tuscany....everything is spread out but if you live in florence then maybe you wont need one.
really? i got around fine around tuscany without a car. my freind who lives in pistoia took the train to florence, he never owned a car.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:04 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
You don't need a car in my city. Most people don't own one.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
really? i got around fine around tuscany without a car. my freind who lives in pistoia took the train to florence, he never owned a car.
well if you want to visit all the little hill towns on a bus as a tourist in a tourist group then i guess you wont need a car...other than that you may miss a lot of little treasures that the tour buses dont go to

Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Almost every city in the world. Honestly!

The United States is the ODD one out where cars are often the only way to get places. Mostly because of the auto industry starting there, and the money they used to make sure they'd make sure our U.S. cities were car dependent.

The only other countries kind of like it might be Canada and Australia...although their main cities have good mass transit - just like our largest US cities do as well.

But generally speaking you NEVER need a car to go ANYWHERE in the world...ONLY when in North America or Australia do you need a car.
Well in Tokyo, if you live close to the city then no need for car, although everyone owns one anyway.. But in the outer areas/suburbs everyone has cars..

Where as in Europe not many people have cars..

Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
It's a little out of date but this table shows car ownership per 1000 people.
Some selected countries:

USA - 765
UK - 437
Italy - 581
France - 476
Germany - 541
Canada - 559

The figures will no doubt have gone up in the last 9-10 years, but I see no reason why the ratios for those countries will have changed.

http://www.unece.org/stats/trends2005/Sources/145_Number%20of%20passenger%20cars%20(per%201000%2 0pop).pdf

Personally, I have never needed to own a car. I passed my test four years ago and since then have only driven for a grand total of about 15 minutes.
Where's Australia?

Everyone here drives a car, everyone.. You simply cannot survive here without a car.. Even people who use public transportation use a car for part of the trip, then take the transport..

Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I can say that New York City, Washington DC and Boston all are more convenient without a car in the city cores.

Once you get out to the suburbs, then you start needing a car the farther out you go.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Where's Australia?

Everyone here drives a car, everyone.. You simply cannot survive here without a car.. Even people who use public transportation use a car for part of the trip, then take the transport..
I lived hear for many years without a car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World