Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,338,580 times

Advertisements

Look at TOEFFL's rankings and scores

ETS Research: Policy Research Reports

Scandinavians and German are impressive in English !
In France we"re bad in comparison

Japanese confirmed : they're REALLY bad in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,548,061 times
I am always incredibly impressed with Scandinavian people and the Dutch. Often I meet people who are undetectable as non Native English speakers.

I think a lot of it has to do with proper decent language education at school , English and American channels being easily available on TV and a certain natural aptitude, perhapbs because of course English is related linguistically speaking making it easier.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
I always figured the best place to learn English would be England. I hear they start speaking English there before they're even 2 years old.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:56 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,102,049 times
I think the US midwest. Most people speak no other language so it's total immersion. The accent is universaly understandable. It is probably "standard" English today.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:30 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I think the US midwest. Most people speak no other language so it's total immersion. The accent is universaly understandable. It is probably "standard" English today.
surely standard English is still BBC English ??

Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
It depends on whether you want to get a lot of practice at vernacular street-English, or whether you want to have a strong grasp of proper literary English.

England would be a terrible place to learn English, as the accents are still very highly regional, and if you learned English in Glasgow, your conversations would need to be subtitled. Furthermore, only about 5% of the English-speaking world lives in England, so that is hardly representative any more of the way English is spoken in the world.

Canada would probably be the place with the most neutral accent and the most educated speakers using English fairly correctly in everyday use. I would not recommend learning English in Jamaica.

I once met a Japanese boy sitting in the parque in Antigua, Guatemala, where people from all over the world go to learn Spanish. I asked if he was there to study Spanish, he said "No, Engrish". The people studying Spanish, when not in classes, socialize with each other around town in English, and my Japanese friend just sat in the cafes and practiced English with them.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,799,763 times
yeah its amazing how many dutch people who can speak good english

Old 02-02-2011, 09:13 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
It depends if you want to spend more time in North America or the Commonwealth countries. From personal experience a standard (not too strong) Australian accent is fairly easy to understand (according to a Danish girl my Aussie accent was easier for her to understand than the British accents of our fellow travellers ).

I find most English learners only adopt regional dialects to a degree: most still mostly speak in the inflection of their native tongue. So if a French person speaks English you can generally tell they are French. I've yet to meet a non-native who could pass for a native of say the US or the UK unless they had lived in said country for a long time.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,292,335 times
I have always been impressed with the Dutch facility with English.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:39 PM

5,882 posts, read 5,806,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
yeah its amazing how many dutch people who can speak good english
Yes but then The Netherlands is a rather small nation speaking a language that almost no one outside their country can speak.
Being so small requires the country to be outward focused so folk would not go far without English and indeed a lot also speak excellent German and a smaller number French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World