Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 AM

28 posts, read 60,587 times

Advertisements

With new nations poping up all the time (Kosovo, South Sudan), Who do you think is next?
Here is my top five list for the next nations to become independent.
1. Palestine-This one seems to be inevitable...its only a matter of borders agreement.
2. Kurdistan-They are already virtually seperated from Iraq.
3. Somaliland- Same as above.
4. French Guiana-As the native born population grows, the more they will want to run their affairs. I admit this one is a long shot.
5 Puerto Rico - Another long shot but people are beginning to realize that a permanent political solution is in the best interest of the island. Push come to shove I belive most people will choose independence over statehood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 AM

268 posts, read 875,919 times
Belgium divided into Flanders and Walloon, and Brussels as sort of DC-district.
After that maybe:
-Basque Region
-Catalunya
-Quebec
-Northern Italy

Old 02-07-2011, 10:18 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,536,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk_Fuji View Post
5 Puerto Rico - Another long shot but people are beginning to realize that a permanent political solution is in the best interest of the island. Push come to shove I belive most people will choose independence over statehood.
Time and again the voters on the island have shot independence and statehood down. I see the Commonwealth status continuing indefinitely.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 AM

26,785 posts, read 37,782,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2360039 View Post
Northern Italy
Padania (eg the northern Italy separatist movement) is not really a serious movement as there is no cultural impetus to push towards independence.

As with all separatist movements that are based on financial concerns (we are richer than them, so we'll just separate and keep our money for us), it has little or no chance of achieving success.

Look around the world and see how many places in history have separated over money versus how many have separated because they have a different culture.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM

28 posts, read 60,587 times
@jEFFREDO...True..I did say it was a long shot. It's unfortunate, however, because PR's economy has been stagnating for years. I think a permanent political status would help jump start it. Be it statehood or independece.

BTW I forgot to add New Caledonia. Lately, all the French dependencies have been more vocal about autonomy. (Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guiane).

Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,486,774 times
Some possibilities

Greenland/Kalaallit Nunaat - They've been voting in more self-government for themselves and the Danes are apparently now only in charge of foreign affairs, security, and subsidies. Still those subsidies sound like a fair amount so it might be awhile.

The Cook Islands - Essentially an independent nation with New Zealand I guess limited to defense and some foreign matters.

Western Sahara - Maybe a bit borderline, but it's something of a disputed area as South Sudan was.

I don't know about the other two. Maybe Palestine and Aland.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,842,561 times
Quote:
With new nations poping up all the time (Kosovo, South Sudan), Who do you think is next?
1. Palestine-This one seems to be inevitable...its only a matter of borders agreement.
4. French Guiana-As the native born population grows, the more they will want to run their affairs. I admit this one is a long shot.
Puerto Rico will never become independent. If given the choice, we will choose to be the next state. In every plebiscite, less than 5% of the population voted for independence

Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
I doubt if there will be five in our lifetime. Nationalism is a powerful cohesive force.

Palestine is a de-facto country right now, and only needs recognition.

I might put Scotland on the list for the long haul. It's also a de-facto country, but functioning under the umbrella of the United Kingdom. Places like the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands remain in the UK only voluntarily, for convenience.

Trans-Dniester is anybody's guess, and what it does do might go unnoticed. They might have already done it.

Bali would seem a logical contender, but I've never heard of any movement. Same for Sarawak, in east Malaysia.

Quebec already enjoys about as much self-identity as it has ever wanted, so I can't see that going anywhere.

India's northeast states have been making noise for a long time, but that seems to be settling down, and is now less of a separatist threat. You never hear about unsettled Kashmir any more.

Greenland doesn't seem to be trying very hard to leave Denmark completely.

Turkish Northern Cyprus could break away, if there is too much international resistance to it shifting toward amalgamation with Turkey.

Somalia is up for grabs, and could split in two when finally settled.

I think Morocco has a lock on Western Sahara, which nobody else has ever wanted, and there is no indigenous population there to object.

With European Union in place, there is no logical sense in even talking about new countries there, since even the old ones have lost much of their identity, but if (more likely when) EU breaks down, nations could reorganize along new lines with all kinds of fragmentation.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-08-2011 at 11:23 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 AM

344 posts, read 460,814 times
I would hope the Copts in Egypt, but that isn't going to happen. Maybe Republika Srpska will split from Bosnia and Herzgovina in the next decade (especially if the Serbs and Albanians reach a deal to split Kosovo), but they would probably immediately join Serbia.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,039,772 times
Quote:
South Sudan is a new country? When did this happen? That just seems like a good idea.

Also, isn't French Guiana already a country? Is it still a French territory? Didn't know that if it were.

I don't see Puerto Rico becoming a country. Mostly because they get a lot of money from the U.S. government, and most of their citizens are living in the U.S.

Palestine is another one I don't see. Israel is doing everything it can to make sure that doens't happen.

Kurdistan SHOULD be it's own country. But most of what would be 'Kurdistan' is actually in Turkey. I don't get the impression that Turkey is willing to give up any territory. Since Turkey is quasi considered European in some ways, or at least strongly allied, I don't see anyone asking them to give it up either. The Kurds in Iraq COULD get their sovereignity, however since more of them live in Turkey, and more are tortured and killed by the Turkish government, it would create a major conflict in Turkey if the Iraqi side was given sovereignity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World