Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 12:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
In terms of safety and cleaness, Singapore is a whole level above others. It is like a grand scaled high-end Chinatown. Rio is a hell hole, we all know it.
I really really like Singapore but I was there for a couple of business assignments and lived in a nice extended stay hotel with an expense account for food and taxi's / train. I checked into cost of car and housing and was astounded at how expensive. You even have to win a lottery to have the opportunity to get a car, which is highly tarrifed up to the point it is double the US!

Great place to visit but I would only live there if I was very rich. So I'd say Singapore has the highest quality of life for big cities in the tropics but I like San Juan as best bang for the buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 12:32 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Ok you got me but only by an eyelash:

Hong Kong:

"The climate of Hong Kong is a monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate (Köppen climate classification Cwa), just short of being a tropical monsoon climate (Köppen climate classification Am)."

Addis Ababa: (a "strange" tropical because on a high plateau. I have been there and admit it is cool and not what we think of as hot, humid tropical. However it never snows and is officially tropical zone. Drive off the plateau 100 miles away and it feels like you're in India.

"Ethiopia is in the tropical zone laying between the Equator and the Tropic of Cancer. ... http://ccb.colorado.edu/ijas/ijasno2/bekele.html, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia."

Honolulu: Sorry, you are just wrong here. Have you even ever been there? Hawaii defines "tropical" unless you are on top of the the Big Island volcano. The city is almost 2 degrees latitude south of the Tropic of Cancer and climate is further moderated by it being surrounded by warm ocean currents. There has NEVER been recorded snow in the city.

"Honolulu

High temperature: 84.5°F
Annual low temperature: 70.7°F
Average temperature: 77.6°F

Climate
The vegetation in Honolulu, Hawaii is a very tropical place so they grow things like coconut tree, breadfruit, bananas, mangoes, papayas, pineapples, etc. The people in Hawaii are very healthy because they eat a lot of fruit and vegetables.

Where Is Honolulu In The World"
Honolulu is clearly show on this map it is stated in coordinates and stated as the state capital of Hawaii. The coordinates of Honolulu are Latitude: 21°18′24″ N
Longitude: 157°51′29″ W
Elevation above sea level: 18 m"

You may be correct, again by an Eyelash, about the Arabian Gulf cities Dubai and Muscat, Oman. However, they are very near the Tropic of Cancer, and lowest winter temperatures at night are usually in the 50s or 60s. Very close to tropical. Might be best labeled sub-tropical because of a snow dusting every 20 or 30 years (esp. in the mountains above Muscat).
Climates...

Hong Kong - humid SUBtropical (Cwa)
Addis Ababa - SUBtropical highland (Cwb)
Honolulu - Hot semi-ARID (BSh)
Dubai - hot ARID (BWh)
Muscat - hot ARID (BWh)

Tropical climates start with an A, not B or C.
A place doesn't need to be tropical to be hot.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:34 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Climates...

Hong Kong - humid SUBtropical (Cwa)
Addis Ababa - SUBtropical highland (Cwb)
Honolulu - Hot semi-ARID (BSh)
Dubai - hot ARID (BWh)
Muscat - hot ARID (BWh)

Tropical climates start with an A, not B or C.
A place doesn't need to be tropical to be hot.

I just must ask you again, Have you aver been to Honolulu?? It is NOT arid like Dubai and Muscat. NO comparison. Verdant green and full of palms and pineapples. Rains every afternoon in summer! Your reference is not the only one and appears incorrect.

Again, Hong Kong and Addis are probably best described as semi - and the Arabian cities, while at or just above the Tropic of Cancer and, while very hot , are also very dry. I'll agree to your hot ARID classification but to the standard definition of near equator, no snow, etc, palms on the coast - they could easily be slipped into the general , if not rigid, category of "tropical cities".

Dubai and Muscat are ARID. Honolulu is MOIST: (ave 87 inches/year over last 30 years. Drier before) Maybe you have an old reference before human climate change set in.

Honolulu, Hawaii - Average Rainfall - Current, Historical Data
https://rainfall.weatherdb.com/l/80/Honolulu-Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii Average Rainfall. Honolulu has had an average rainfall of 86.84 inches over the last 30 years, which is 122% more than the average nationwide, and 24.11 inches more than the average in Hawaii.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
How are beaches in Singapore? Readily accessible? The Google images look incredible.
Yes, easily accessible for all residents of the city-state. The beaches in the southern end of the city-state are the best ones, they have longer and more natural coastlines. Sentosa Island is probably the best spot and it is easily accessible by the people mover, you can take the cable car to it, MRT (the rapid transit system in Singapore), or just walk to Harbour Front and take a ferry to it. Siloso is probably the most renown beach resort area in Singapore, after that Tanjong, and for a more quiet and personal setting there is Palawan Beach.

Sentosa Island is a great place for couples or people with family, it has a Universal Studios themepark and several natural activities as well. Since it is in a fully tropical geographic location, there are a lot of water activities like snorkeling, diving, exploring that are ideal.

Several parklands in the southeast corner of the city-state with active and long beachfronts and coastlines as well. East Coast Park being the most sterling example.

Happy New Years.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:47 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Are we counting just anything in the tropics? Bogota doesn’t feel very “tropical” save for fairly steady monthly temperatures, but it is squarely in the tropics.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:45 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
Rio and Singapore.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:54 AM

12 posts, read 9,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Rio and Singapore.
I agree with you!

Old 12-10-2018, 04:56 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Depends on how tropics is being defined... By climate? By location (between tropics of cancer/capricorn, etc?)

In any sense, Hong Kong, which just makes it within this zone, is the probable winner IMO, though everyone has different tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World