Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:24 AM

209 posts, read 301,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
I know only brazilian cities and Hawaii.
I don't consider Brasilia and São Paulo as "Tropical Cities" because they're about 1000 meters above the sea level, so that make then more cold then we imagine as a tropical city.
Brazil has many cities by the sea and I think it has the highest number of cities with more than 1 million people by the sea in the world:

Florianópolis
Santos
Rio
Vitória
Salvador
Maceió
Recife
João Pessoa
Natal
Fortaleza
São Luís
Florianopolis isn't tropical. More subtropical.

Natal, Rio, Vitoria in Brazil. My opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 07:54 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,183,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Have you even been to Mexico City? Trust me, it's not tropical AT ALL.
Mexico City is, by defintion, tropical since it lies beween the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. Due to its elevation it has a subtropical climate, atypical of most tropical locations.

When speaking of climate, the term 'tropical' is descriptive rather than prescriptive. In other words, Mexico City can be a tropical city with a subtropical climate while Miami is a subtropical city with a tropical climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Yeah, Mexico City is NOT tropical. There are more pine trees than palms. It has extremely high (alpine) elevation, year round cold nights, and never even hits 90F in the day (even above 80F isn't very common).
As far as pines, while we tend to associate palms with tropical climates, there are several species that flourish in tropical climates and connot withstand freezing temperatures. Then there are numerous species of palms that are subtropical and can survive occasional snowfall. The southern U.S., southern Europe, and even the British Isles can support palm trees.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:42 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,764,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
I've been to Honolulu and for sureit still has to eat a lot rice and beans to be able to be compared to Rio...
Lol what do you mean by this?

Old 09-19-2015, 11:31 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,638,487 times
Bandung, Jogja, and Surabaya are better IMO, Jogja used to be Indonesian capital during early years of Indonesia independence
Bandung has more pleasant climate due to elevation, but still tropical with coolest month mean around 22C

Old 09-19-2015, 08:46 PM

85 posts, read 63,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalists View Post
Florianopolis isn't tropical. More subtropical.

Natal, Rio, Vitoria in Brazil. My opinion.
His list is not about tropicl or not. Can you read english?

Old 09-19-2015, 09:51 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,568,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No, [Miami is] tropical. The southern 1/4 of Florida qualifies as true tropical.
Wrong on both counts. Miami is not tropical and none of Florida is tropical. All of Florida is north of the Tropic of Cancer.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:53 AM

22 posts, read 19,249 times
Jakarta? I live here. A couple weeks ago there was a demo about the defamation of islam by jakarta governor.. jakarta are a malls city, there a lot of option here.. The malls here just spread out from the bad to the high class one. The malls here are so big.. I wonder why.. For climate, Jakarta doesn't have a lot of variations the only thing that vary is Rainfall here..but now it just getting unstable it can rain heavily in dry season.. Also, Jakarta are lack of mass rapid transit (they built one now), have a lot of problems like flood, poverty, crimes, cleanses, traffic jam etc. And its densely populated..

Old 11-14-2016, 08:10 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,345,827 times
Almost all of them are dumps.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:39 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,422,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post
His list is not about tropicl or not. Can you read english?
Those were cities of more than 1 million hab. by the sea, but in fact just Florianópolis is out of the tropical zone and have cold winters. But as well there are 11 cities so there are still 10 tropical ones
Most of those mentioned in China are not tropical.

Now I made a list of those that seems "the best" to me, not including Asian or African cities because I don't know enough of them.(Manilla seems to be very nice)

Rio de Janeiro
Salvador
Recife
Vitória
Aracajú
Panamá
San Juan

Not close to the sea
Quito
Belo Horizonte
Belém

If Quito cannot be considered tropical, Maringá.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:35 PM

10,649 posts, read 15,921,389 times
Tropical Area's of the World:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World