Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:03 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,121,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
The government of Pakistan is holding in arrest a man with a U.S.diplomatic passport against international protocol rules. ...The situation is complicated by several factors but the fact remains that Davis is covered by diplomatic immunity.
What do you think Pakistan should do?
At the moment, to me, it appears that the man may have gone to Pakistan on a diplomatic passport, but that he was not doing the job in our embassy that he was indicated as doing, and was essentially engaged in spy work.

So, if the U.S. lied, is his diplomatic immunity valid? I don't have a clue myself.

The details of the "robbery" that provoked the killings are very conflicting.

What do I think Pakistan should do?

Hold onto him in very secure circumstances until the U.S. can provide satisfactory answers about questions of this man's diplomatic immunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 AM

430 posts, read 1,252,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
So, if the U.S. lied, is his diplomatic immunity valid? I don't have a clue myself.
Yes, his diplomatic immunity is valid, regardless of the "cover" he was working under. The same holds true for foreign intelligence officers working in the U.S. If they hold a diplomatic passport, they have diplomatic immunity.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,121,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCatherine View Post
Yes, his diplomatic immunity is valid, regardless of the "cover" he was working under. The same holds true for foreign intelligence officers working in the U.S. If they hold a diplomatic passport, they have diplomatic immunity.
Well, that being the case if the U.S. can produce his diplomatic passport, then according to international agreements he should be let go.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,694,760 times
From a UK Guardian story

Raymond Davis has been the subject of widespread speculation since he opened fire with a semi-automatic Glock pistol on the two men who had pulled up in front of his car at a red light on 25 January.

"Pakistani suspicions about Davis's role were stoked by the equipment police confiscated from his car: an unlicensed pistol, a long-range radio, a GPS device, an infrared torch and a camera with pictures of buildings around Lahore.

"This is not the work of a diplomat. He was doing espionage and surveillance activities," said the Punjab law minister, Rana Sanaullah, adding he had "confirmation" that Davis was a CIA employee."

I am not sure that international spies are entitled to diplomatic immunity?

American who sparked diplomatic crisis over Lahore shooting was CIA spy | World news | The Guardian

Old 02-22-2011, 06:25 PM

230 posts, read 903,034 times
Where do Danny Glover and Mel Gibson stand on this one? Sorry, for the rest of my life the term "diplomatic immunity" will remind me of Lethal Weapon II

Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM

430 posts, read 1,252,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I am not sure that international spies are entitled to diplomatic immunity?

I can assure you that they are, as long as they are carrying a diplomatic passport. If a CIA officer with diplomatic cover is caught "doing his job" overseas, he is PNG'ed from the country. PNG = Persona Non Grata, which basically means he is no longer welcome by the host government and must leave the country permanently. Likewise, if an intelligence officer from another country is caught in the United States, he is quietly PNG'ed by our government. If a CIA officer is working overseas without the benefit of a diplomatic passport, it's a whole other game...

Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 PM

Well it certainly seems that this Davis person may not have been legitimately in Pakistan, as it appears that the government lied about his job classification (cough). I'm guessing that if the US embassy had notified the Pakisatan government when the visa request was made, that the recipient was a CIA spy, the visa likely would have been denied.....

And then Davis who was there under false pretense shot two men in the street with an "unlicensed pistol".

That all sounds pretty underhanded to be demanding *diplomatic immunity*.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:10 PM

230 posts, read 903,034 times
If he were a CIA spy why would he have shot these two men? I don´t think CIA spies, in general, go around shooting people, unplanned. Perhaps he was from some security detail? Black ops consultant or something?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
If he were a CIA spy why would he have shot these two men? I don´t think CIA spies, in general, go around shooting people, unplanned. Perhaps he was from some security detail? Black ops consultant or something?

"....US officials have provided fresh details about Raymond Davis, the CIA agent at the centre of a diplomatic stand-off in Pakistan, including confirmation that he had worked for the private security contractor Xe, formerly known as Blackwater. They also disclosed for the first time that he had been providing security for a CIA team tracking militants.

Davis was attached to the CIA's Global Response Staff, whose duties include protecting case officers when they meet with sources.

Confirmation that he worked for Xe could prove even more problematic than working for the CIA, given the extent of hatred towards Blackwater, whose staff have gained a reputation in Pakistan as trigger-happy. For Pakistanis the word "Blackwater" has become a byword for covert American operations targeting the country's nuclear capability. Newspaper reports have been filled with lurid reports of lawless operatives roaming the country."

US gives fresh details of CIA agent who killed two men in Pakistan shootout | World news | The Guardian

--

The Guardian UK has a series of articles on this whole fiasco. Read there.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 AM

572 posts, read 1,313,354 times
Davis' relationship to the CIA was established in the first few days. No matter which U.S. government agency he was employed by, he has a diplomatic passport issued by the U.S. Government and is entitled to the protections internationally agreed upon.
This should be a matter between the two countries National governments not local authorities.
I'm sure the diplomatic community is watching this very closely as here in the U.S. local authorities have been frustrated in apprehending "diplomats" who have broken local laws from parking violations to more serious matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World