Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,094,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That fits with what I know. I think some in those countries don't drink their own water either as I've heard Hispanic Americans are more likely to drink bottled water than most other ethnicities. I'm assuming that's because they are used to it at home.

According to Gallup a third of Mexicans and Moroccans are dissatisfied with their water quality. So less than the US, UK, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand. However there are countries much worse, where the majority of their people are dissatisfied with water quality. One of the more modern countries to have that situation looks to be Russia where 54% were listed as dissatisfied. Among non-African nations Iraq looks most dissatisfied with 71% dissatisfaction. The Democratic Republic of Congo was most dissatisfied with 78%. Singapore was the most satisfied with their water quality, but I sometimes think Singaporeans feel they should say they're satisfied when asked a question as some of their poll answers don't make sense to me. Discounting them Scandinavia and Switzerland look to be the most satisfied with their water. In Africa Namibians seem most satisfied with their water and their satisfaction is about the same as Japan's. In Latin America Costa Rica and Uruguay have a satisfaction equal or superior to the US. Uruguay's water satisfaction is also listed as higher than Britain or Canada. So I guess if an American or Canadian had a problem with Uruguayan water it wouldn't be something the local's, officially anyway, would relate to.

1.3 Billion Adults Worldwide Unhappy With Water Quality

--------

In Spain, we can drink our tap water but many people don't like their taste. Many people buy mineral water because it's way better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 05:07 AM

6,462 posts, read 8,143,869 times
I rarely drink tap water when traveling abroad.

For instance, the tap water in NYC tasted awful but I guess it is safe to drink.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,610,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I rarely drink tap water when traveling abroad.

For instance, the tap water in NYC tasted awful but I guess it is safe to drink.
Actually my Norwegian ex-girlfriend told me Norwegians don't generally like to drink the tap water anywhere south of Denmark - is that true? Most of what I drink is tap water wherever I am, it's only in Mexico I drank the bottled stuff everywhere I went. Whenever we went on family trips to southern Europe as a kid my mother would always go on about how the tap water wasn't safe to drink, though I don't know if their water actually was worse 20 years ago or just her being paranoid, as I've had no problem drinking it in recent years.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 AM

593 posts, read 886,694 times
When traveling abroad always carry a Seychelle water filter as it filters all bacteria and even anthrax. It is the only filter I would ever consider as the technology is so advanced nothing compares. They are 16oz with a straw and my wife and I have 10 in our survival kit , We also use a rotation of four 1 gallon filtered pitchers for coffee and cooking albeit just drinking right off the tap.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 02-22-2011 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: formating

Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,121,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Actually my Norwegian ex-girlfriend told me Norwegians don't generally like to drink the tap water anywhere south of Denmark - is that true? Most of what I drink is tap water wherever I am, it's only in Mexico I drank the bottled stuff everywhere I went. Whenever we went on family trips to southern Europe as a kid my mother would always go on about how the tap water wasn't safe to drink, though I don't know if their water actually was worse 20 years ago or just her being paranoid, as I've had no problem drinking it in recent years.
I live in southern Europe. Last Saturday I was out walking early and as I came up the street I could see a man and a woman going back and forth to the boot of their car and retreiving large, heavy containers. They made several trips as I approached.

When I passed them, they turned out to be English tourists. And the boot of their car was filled with extra large plastic bottles of water. Considering what I saw them lug in as I approached and what was still in the car they must have had water for at least a week's worth of drinking and cooking. I have never seen people who had purchased so many large bottles.

I suppose, like your mother, they are terrified of the mains water here. Our reservoir is in the hills surrounded by forests and wild meadows for many kilomenters, and is probably healthier water than what they drink at home. However, I myself do keep bottled water for English guests. I just refill the same old bottles with tap water over and over and over again. They never know, they are happy and none have pooped themselves to the great beyond yet.

I do hope those visitors I saw are as careful about recycling all those plastic bottles and they are about their bowels.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM

kevxu

Some English visitors confuse Southern Spain and Portugal with Mexico, too many spaghetti westerns. They even wear large Mexican sombreros.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 AM

512 posts, read 1,179,708 times
yeah my neighbours think that Spain is next to Mexico!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:14 PM

512 posts, read 1,179,708 times
And is tap water safe in the US? I don't think so. Lake Michigan looks like a big waste dump. Every year we get warnings about some bacteria in the lake and fish which biuld up chemicals and shouldn't be eaten.

High levels of chromium found in Chicago-area tap water - Chicago Tribune

Old 02-24-2011, 05:02 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,486,774 times
When you have repeated exposure to a thing you're often less afraid of it even it can be dangerous. Being afraid of driving in a car is likely rarer than being afraid of flying. People get desensitized to the dangers of driving.

So maybe Americans get desensitized to dangers of US drinking water. Still I think our water is safer than that of most African or Central American nations.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 AM

Here wine is cheaper than mineral water, who needs water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World