Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 AM

5,004 posts, read 12,315,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
I'm not sure why the OP said like below then:
By heavy rail, I basically mean passenger trains that are "real" trains- not a tram, light rail, subway, metro etc.
This map is pretty simple, if comparing it to Tokyo:

http://www.wcoop.ne.jp/support/tokyo_map.pdf (broken link)

“Œ‹ž“s“S“¹˜Hü}

You obviously don't know how to read.

light rail does not equal heavy rail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP's original post was:

"
By heavy rail, I basically mean passenger trains that are "real" trains- NOT tram, light rail, subway, metro etc."

Did you read "NOT LIGHT RAIL"? Obviously you didn't.

Repeat after me in language you can understand: "light rail does not mean heavy rail. Heavy rail have big choo choo's and light rail have small choo choo's."

And before you cry "WAHH, YOU NEVER BEEN TO TOKYO BEFORE" ... I have. Many times. 95% of their PASSENGER TRAINS are LIGHT RAIL, METRO, OR SUBWAY.

And, I grew up in Chicago, so I understand what the heavy rail lines are. Comparing the two, I can't think of anything outside the Shinkansen, N'EX and one other line whose name I forgot which is HEAVY RAIL IN TOKYO. Shinkansen is more of a national travel system, N'EX serves the airport and so does the other line whose name I forget.

So, ignoring about 95% of the map you posted, I'd say Chicago has more HEAVY RAIL, which is the ENTIRE MAP I posted.

In no way am I saying THE ENTIRE GRID of Chicago even approaches Tokyo's. Not by a long shot! Chicago is an American city of 3 million. Tokyo is an Asian city of 15+ million. Spread out and smaller vs. compact and bigger.

So, answering OP's ORIGINAL QUERY was what I did, it's you who has to learn how to read ... or do a google search on "heavy rail" and "light rail" to get an idea of what he means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 PM

248 posts, read 439,321 times
Bombay/Mumbai in India
India as a country is extremely well connected .The largest railway network in the world.
Intercity and Intracity ( Mainly the bigger metros , notably Bombay)

Old 03-01-2011, 01:54 PM

1,330 posts, read 2,591,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
And, I grew up in Chicago, so I understand what the heavy rail lines are. Comparing the two, I can't think of anything outside the Shinkansen, N'EX and one other line whose name I forgot which is HEAVY RAIL IN TOKYO. Shinkansen is more of a national travel system, N'EX serves the airport and so does the other line whose name I forget.

So, ignoring about 95% of the map you posted, I'd say Chicago has more HEAVY RAIL, which is the ENTIRE MAP I posted.
Next time take the train in Tokyo.
There are almost no light rail in this city and most passengers railway lines are heavy train.
The subway is only a small part of the passengers railway system.

Some exemple of lines by network.

JR East Chuo lines (Rapid and Chuo sobu local)

Picture by E3uematsu

Tokyu Toyoko line

Picture by RGB256

Odakyu Odawara Line

Picture by Lover of Romance

Seibu Shinjuku line

Picture by Bryan MacKinnon

Keisei Main line

Picture by Multa

There are much more than what I posted.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:22 PM

305 posts, read 777,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidgirl View Post
Bombay/Mumbai in India
India as a country is extremely well connected .The largest railway network in the world.
Intercity and Intracity ( Mainly the bigger metros , notably Bombay)
i don't think it has the largest...per wikipedia...
"Indian Railways has more than 64,015 kilometres (39,777 mi)[5] of track and 7,083 stations. It has the world's fourth largest railway network after those of the United States, Russia and China."

Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,468,993 times
Tokyo, Seoul, New York.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:27 AM

212 posts, read 398,566 times
Quote:

You obviously don't know how to read.

light rail does not equal heavy rail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP's original post was:

"
By heavy rail, I basically mean passenger trains that are "real" trains- NOT tram, light rail, subway, metro etc."

Did you read "NOT LIGHT RAIL"? Obviously you didn't.

Repeat after me in language you can understand: "light rail does not mean heavy rail. Heavy rail have big choo choo's and light rail have small choo choo's."

And before you cry "WAHH, YOU NEVER BEEN TO TOKYO BEFORE" ... I have. Many times. 95% of their PASSENGER TRAINS are LIGHT RAIL, METRO, OR SUBWAY.
Who's crying? Me? Don't think so

Heavy Rail

Definition: Heavy Rail
Heavy rail refers to traditional high platform subway and elevated rapid transit lines. Principal characteristics are operation over rights of way that are completely segregated from other uses, with the track placed in subway tunnels, on elevated structures, or on fenced surface rights of way, free of grade crossings with roads. Trains consist of anywhere from two to 12 cars, each with its own motors, and drawing power from a third rail (or in some cases from overhead wire). Boarding is from high platforms that are even with the floor level of the car, allowing large numbers of people to enter and leave rapidly. Before World War II, true heavy rail rapid transit systems existed only in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago. Since the war, new systems have been opened in Cleveland, Baltimore, Washington, the San Francisco-Oakland region, Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Miami, plus Montreal and Toronto in Canada.

Quote:
Check this out:

East Japan Railway Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greater Tokyo Area

These lines have sections inside the Tokyo Suburban Area (東京近郊区間) designated by JR East. This does not necessarily mean that the lines are fully inside the Greater Tokyo Area.

* ■ Chūō Main Line (Tokyo - Nirasaki[citation needed])
* ■ Chūō Rapid Line (Tokyo - Takao - Ōtsuki)
* ■ Chūō-Sōbu Line (Mitaka - Shinjuku - Chiba)
* ■ Hachikō Line (Hachiōji - Takasaki)
* ■ Itsukaichi Line (Haijima - Musashi-Itsukaichi)
* ■ Jōban Line (Ueno - Takahagi)
* ■ Jōetsu Line (Takasaki - Minakami)
* ■ Kawagoe Line (Ōmiya - Kawagoe - Komagawa)
* ■ Keihin-Tōhoku Line (Ōmiya - Tokyo - Yokohama)
* ■ Keiyō Line (Tokyo - Soga)
* ■ Mito Line (Oyama - Tomobe)
* ■ Musashino Line (Fuchū-Hommachi - Nishi-Funabashi) (Tokyo outer loop)
* ■ Nambu Line (Kawasaki - Tachikawa; ****te - Hamakawasaki)
* ■ Narita Line (Sakura - Chōshi; Abiko - Narita; Narita - Narita Airport)
* ■ Negishi Line (Yokohama - Ōfuna)
* ■ Ōme Line (Tachikawa - Ōme - Okutama)
* ■ Ryōmō Line (Oyama - Shin-Maebashi)
* ■ Sagami Line (Hashimoto - Chigasaki)
* ■ Saikyō Line (Ōsaki - Ōmiya) (■ Old Akabane Line (Ikebukuro - Akabane))
* ■ Shōnan-Shinjuku Line (Ōmiya - Shinjuku - Ōfuna)
* ■ Sōbu Main Line (Tokyo - Chōshi)
* ■ Sotobō Line (Chiba - Mobara - Awa-Kamogawa)
* ■ Takasaki Line (Ōmiya - Takasaki)
* ■ Tōgane Line (Narutō - Ōami)
* ■ Tōhoku Main Line (Utsunomiya Line) (Ueno - Kuroiso)
* ■ Tōkaidō Main Line (Tōkyō - Yokohama - Atami)
* ■ Tsurumi Line (Tsurumi - Ōgimachi; Anzen - Ōkawa; Asano - Umi-Shibaura)
* ■ Uchibō Line (Soga - Kisarazu - Awa-Kamogawa)
* ■ Yamanote Line (Ōsaki - Shinjuku - Tabata - Tokyo - Ōsaki)
* ■ Yokohama Line (Higashi-Kanagawa - Hachiōji)
* ■ Yokosuka Line (Tokyo - Kurihama)
* Nikkō Line (Utsunomiya - Nikkō)

Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,990,517 times
I believe that Melbourne in Australia has a heavy rail passenger train system in its outer suburbs.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,315,765 times
OK, I admit, I was wrong technically about this ... but here's some pictures of Chicago's heavy rail network.

This is what I call "heavy rail" and most Japanese trains don't even compare in size. However, maybe I am mistaken in the definition? I'm not too sure, I think I'm correct... but if anyone has any input I'm open minded.

So, according to Wikipedia, there's even a picture of an "L" track next to "heavy rail", so that means you have to combine the CTA and Metra, which greatly expands the reach.

But I do confess, I am a bit embarrassed now . By the definition, Tokyo far surpasses anything in Chicago. But I do think Chicago's trains have some sort of appeal to me, it's more like a locomotive. I hope you can forgive my arrogance.

Here's one of their newest ones.

http://www.entenginc.com/whatwedo/images/chmet/metra4.jpg (broken link)

Here's a picture of the L above Howard.

You'll just have to think about and combine the two maps to get an idea of how extensive the rail lines are in Chicago.

Deprecated Browser Error

Chicago Metra Map (Full Size) | Chicago maps (http://mapsof.net/chicago/static-maps/png/chicago-metra-map/full-size - broken link)

Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,468,993 times
Quote:
OK, I admit, I was wrong technically about this ... but here's some pictures of Chicago's heavy rail network.

This is what I call "heavy rail" and most Japanese trains don't even compare in size. However, maybe I am mistaken in the definition? I'm not too sure, I think I'm correct... but if anyone has any input I'm open minded.

So, according to Wikipedia, there's even a picture of an "L" track next to "heavy rail", so that means you have to combine the CTA and Metra, which greatly expands the reach.

But I do confess, I am a bit embarrassed now . By the definition, Tokyo far surpasses anything in Chicago. But I do think Chicago's trains have some sort of appeal to me, it's more like a locomotive. I hope you can forgive my arrogance.

Here's one of their newest ones.

Here's a picture of the L above Howard.

You'll just have to think about and combine the two maps to get an idea of how extensive the rail lines are in Chicago.

Deprecated Browser Error

Chicago Metra Map (Full Size) | Chicago maps (http://mapsof.net/chicago/static-maps/png/chicago-metra-map/full-size - broken link)

Takes a big person to admit your wrong . Going off looks I can see what you mean and yes Chicago's trains are awesome. Network wise, there is no rail system in the US that compares to other countries.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:29 AM

212 posts, read 398,566 times
[quote=eskercurve;18101446]This is what I call "heavy rail" and most Japanese trains don't even compare in size. However, maybe I am mistaken in the definition? I'm not too sure, I think I'm correct... but if anyone has any input I'm open minded.[quote]

Yea, I must admit "heavy rails" in Chicago seem to be much heavier than those in Tokyo

Quote:
But I do confess, I am a bit embarrassed now . By the definition, Tokyo far surpasses anything in Chicago. But I do think Chicago's trains have some sort of appeal to me, it's more like a locomotive.
Who took those awsome photos? Must be a proffesional photographer! Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World