Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:59 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times

Advertisements

A city with no soul.

I ve been there in 2001, and realized its a beautiful place scenery-wise, but it lacks the most important thing: it doesnt feel like a city, it doesnt have a vibe to it. I was SHOCKED! the month i was there that you hardly see people walking in the street! With that amazing walkable weather LA haves...people are inside their houses or their cars....what kind of city is that? It lacks the most important thing an important city should have: soul, heart, identity.

LA is like a huge wasted opportunity: great scenery, great weather, great wealth: but no real spirit.

Its sad actually. LA is a sad city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 01:10 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
A city with no soul.

I ve been there in 2001, and realized its a beautiful place scenery-wise, but it lacks the most important thing: it doesnt feel like a city, it doesnt have a vibe to it. I was SHOCKED! the month i was there that you hardly see people walking in the street! With that amazing walkable weather LA haves...people are inside their houses or their cars....what kind of city is that? It lacks the most important thing an important city should have: soul, heart, identity.

LA is like a huge wasted opportunity: great scenery, great weather, great wealth: but no real spirit.

Even though your assessment is harsh, I kind of agree with what you're saying (to some extent). This is why I don't recommend LA as the first city someone should visit in the U.S. I hope you don't think the rest of the U.S. is just like LA.

New York City, Washington DC, Chicago and San Francisco are much better cities to visit IMO.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-05-2012 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 01:20 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,180,891 times
It is not a pretty city but some areas are rather nice and interesting (Venice, Santa Monica). Hollywood (Hollywood Walk of Fame and the surrounding area) is just a dump.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:27 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
I agree with Sophie. Los Angeles is a sorry sad case.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
I just never learned how to drive and have no desire to learn, I live in Brooklyn, I take the subway or taxis everywhere. Most New Yorkers don't drive, basically everyone in LA does, that's all I'm saying.
I don't drive either but I get around fine using mass transit in the LA Metro area ... Granted, it isn't what you are accustomed to in NYC but it is doable.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:00 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I don't drive either but I get around fine using mass transit in the LA Metro area ... Granted, it isn't what you are accustomed to in NYC but it is doable.
That's good to hear, that they finally got a functional transit system together.

I like Berkeley and San Francisco, because they're very walkable, beautiful, and people are out and about on foot. There are sidewalk cafes, parks, gathering places, and people are friendly.

I'm not sure what a tourist would go to LA for, other than maybe to see Hollywood and take a tour of the studios, and the stars' houses. I wouldn't mind seeing Santa Monica, and I like the LaBrea Tarpits, but...that's just me.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaga bond View Post
Agree with the most posts from today. Would be the most awesome city ever if it was an actual city and not a prime example of why car-centered American suburban cities must be left in history books as an example of the effects of corruption and bad planning. Weather and location are great, but not the rest.
Is anyone familiar with the quote that, 'LA is a hundred cities in search of an identity' or something to that affect? I treat the LA region and SoCal in general as more of an urban region than a city with a metropolitan area in the conventional sense (I mean the LA area has many cities, the downtown of LA itself is just one of the main nodes of this vast region).

Many people who have never been to LA or have only skimmed the surface have this very one dimensional view of LA as this sprawling, smog-filled mess of freeways, spaghetti-intersections choked with cars where plastic celebrities live their inconsequential lives and show off their wealth with ostentatious abandon. Of course it is that, but that doesn't negate the great things about LA: it's location, it's scenery, how it has a ton of neighbourhoods each with their own character, personality and vibe, the eclectic range of quirky folk who call the City of Angels their home, how you can ski and surf in the same day, the tracts of urban wilderness set aside as parks within and nearby the city limits.

I came to LA not expecting too much: the city interests me because I'm a big fan of 20th century history and pop culture: and whether you like to admit it, the LA area has been ground-central for the film industry, movie, and television industry for a long time now. The Star tour didn't quite live up to the hype, I suppose the mansions of Beverly Hills aren't in a league of their own anymore. No, I enjoyed watching a gig at the Viper Room, cruising down Sunset, it felt all very surreal being where so many famous people have lived, worked, partied and died.

Of course I also enjoyed visiting the big tourist draws like Disneyland, Santa Monica pier, enjoyed checking out Griffith Observatory, Little Tokyo, and even just wondering around Hollywood and Downtown. We didn't rent a car, but it wasn't too much of an inconvenience as the metro took us to most of the places we wanted to go. Sure, we saw a lot of ugly urban landscapes, but all in all I remember LA quite fondly and even missed leaving it. I think the fact it was both my first and last port of call in the US helped made it more memorable to me.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Even though your assessment is harsh, I kind of agree with what you're saying (to some extent). This is why I don't recommend LA as the first city someone should visit in the U.S. I hope you don't think the rest of the U.S. is just like LA.

New York City, Washington DC, Chicago and San Francisco are much better cities to visit IMO.
Well coming from Australia LA is the main point of entry. Unlike most people it seems, LA utterly fascinates me: it is ground zero for so much of American pop culture, particularly film, television, and music (especially for a fan of 60s and 70s music) that there was no way in HELL I would miss it. Everyone always sings the Bay City's praises, and don't get me wrong, if I'd more time I'd definitely have visited it, but LA has so much to offer. Sure there are many negative things about it, but it also offers a ton to see and do that I don't think anyone should write it off. On the same trip I saw other famous cities like San Diego, Las Vegas, Austin, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Washington D.C., New York and Boston.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
A city with no soul.

I'll say that the last decade has seen a lot of changes in LA with a lot more people walking and a downtown that doesn't die after work hours. The difference is fairly big and people there are actively trying to make LA more a walking city. I think if you visit now, you'd probably be pleasantly surprised by the change.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'll say that the last decade has seen a lot of changes in LA with a lot more people walking and a downtown that doesn't die after work hours. The difference is fairly big and people there are actively trying to make LA more a walking city. I think if you visit now, you'd probably be pleasantly surprised by the change.
Had I visited LA 20 years ago, when I first dreamed of visiting the US, my impressions of LA might've been different. Because when I visited last year I did a lot of walking around, took the metro everywhere, and was generally surprised by how walkable a lot of the nabes are. Face it, LA will ALWAYS be a car-orientated metropolis, but at least they're trying to do something to correct the mistakes of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World