Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:20 PM

13 posts, read 20,472 times

Advertisements

My thinking about L.A.:

-Huge city
-Great climate
-lot of palm trees
-beaches
-Hollywood

It's nice city, but too huge for my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,474,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
90% of LA is a dump. The other 10% is paradise.
I'd give it a bit more than 10% paradise and maybe another 20% very good. I lived there for four years and thought it the perfect "1%'er" city. Pretty yucky if you're a "99%er". If I was very very wealthy, could live near the beach in the smog-free belt, and actually afford a single-family house (I never could, even in the smog belt Inland Empire) SoCal/LA would be high on my choices of places to settle down in. Great scenery, nice weather most of the year, every sort of amusement you could imagine, great restaurants, beautiful athletic people and interesting people with intellect (yes! I know this is contrary to every post in this forum but there creme de la creme folk from all over the world moving to LA), etc etc. Probably works for neo-hippy types too if they are very non-materialistic. If you live your whole life like a starving artist in a shared efficiencey apt with no car and don't mind it you'll still have the magnificent natural setting and can hang around the free parks to play your guitar and harmonica for change, etc you could have a satisfying life.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 AM

191 posts, read 787,547 times
I'd live in LA if I could afford to live close or by the beach areas, otherwise I'll pass. LA has year round mediterranean climate and lots of things to do. But I couldn't handle the traffic during rush hour. It would take a good 5-6 hours to travel from the eastern tip of LA (I-10 freeway) to the northern tip (I-5 after Angeles Forest/Park) during rush hour. However outside rush hour driving the interstate highways is a breeze (quicker). I'd always avoid passing by LA as much as possible if I have to drive within Cali.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:30 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,967,390 times
It is huge and very well spread out. There is a huge gap between the rich and poor.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,520,360 times
Would never live in LA.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 AM

2,923 posts, read 5,597,251 times
best city in the americas

Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 AM

27,427 posts, read 28,505,652 times
I have family in Los Angeles and have been there a number of times. As a city, Los Angeles is WAY too sprawled out, decentralized, car-centered and lacking in good public transportation for my tastes. I'm also not a big fan of that kind of arid climate in southern California.

However, its entertainment/musical aspects are kind of cool (there's a lot more to it than just Hollywood). It's a city that could grow on me if those other negative things were improved. But for now, there are much better cities in the U.S. to live in than Los Angeles.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-05-2012 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 10:12 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,653,415 times
LA is really a bunch of cities tied together and called LA. Some of these "cities" (neighborhoods) are some of the most exciting, energetic spots in the USA. Go to sunset and party in the high end clubs and just TALK to the people who go there. You'll be hearing from execs flying from everywhere to purchase up TV shows, looking for actors, or the next big media project etc. That's hard to beat.

On the other hand, you find yourself on the wrong island and you begin to wonder why LA is so special. Just strip malls, fastfood in a nice sunny warm climate. You gotta choose wisely when you go to LA both as a tourist and a resident. i always say that if you live in la it takes about 1 year before you 'find' your scene and really start to enjoy it. before then you're kinda just, wtf this place is expensive and nothing special.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,653,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have family in Los Angeles and have been there a number of times. As a city, Los Angeles is WAY too sprawled out, decentralized, car-centered and lacking in good public transportation for my tastes. I'm also not a big fan of that kind of arid climate in southern California.

However, its entertainment/musical aspects are kind of cool (there's a lot more to it than just Hollywood). It's a city that could grow on me if those other negative things were improved. But for now, there are much better cities in the U.S. to live in than Los Angeles.
i'm from la and other than buses never used the pt. Now, i have moved on and only been back for days at a time. When i go back, i get a car and again don't use the pt but i hear from people it really has become better. NYC, SF, DC, Chicago good? No. But better than most every other city in the country. My thinking is give it 10-20 years and LA will have world class pt. Remember it is a YOUNG city. All those cities i mentioned have had years on LA.

this is where picking your island comes into play. if you pick your perfect neighborhood, you'll have all your nightlife, social scene, shopping, food within walking distance or short bus trips. no need for car except on rare occurances.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:49 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,499,607 times
I'm a Canadian from Quebec living in Vancouver and haven't been to LA, don't know much about it beyond reputation.

That reputation isn't extensive, what I know is it has beaches, is dry, is geographically enormous, lots of cars and air pollution, lots of wealthy people and lots of people living in egregious poverty, main industry is media. It might not be accurate but I get the impression LA is less a classical city and is more of a region?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World