Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:30 PM

58 posts, read 146,810 times

Advertisements

2010 dog friendly cities in the US - DogFriendly.com Announces its Top 10 Dog-Friendly Cities in the United States for 2010 « DogFriendly.com's Dog News

International pet friendly cities - The Most Pet Friendly International Cities | Air Travel With Pets

There are a plethora of other sites if you google "pet friendly cities"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 918 times
What place do you get paid the most to be vet?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,010,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
India.

They worship cows and let them roam the streets in many places. And they let rhesus monkeys, and other animals, roam free too. Abundance of animals + lack of desire to kill them = huge need for vets.
Um...no. In India only a few animals are pets. You don't think the freely roaming cows, dogs, and monkeys are ever taken to a vet do you ? Even for pets like dogs and cats, vaccinations and neutering are not standard in India.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:24 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,924,382 times
To my way of thinking, a country with lots of pets and a good sized population with a high disposable income would hire the most vets.

A country that contains many ranches, where people's livelihood is dependent on healthy animals would probably have the vets who make the highest income.

So, maybe U.S., Australia, Brazil . . .

Old 04-29-2014, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 625 times
Hi im from a small town called weleetka and I was wondering where would the best place be to get a job as a vetrinarian.? and how long and how much the cost of the trip would be to get there. im just hopeing its not out of Oklahoma. cant be to far from home.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Park Avenue in New Yorlk Lots of very very rich people with very very cute little doggies.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,252,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
A little more specific-if in the USA, where? I know this is the world section, but I don't think I should make a new thread just to narrow the choice.
For livestock in USA, to be more specifically, i would say Wyoming, Montana, Kansas, Florida, Texas. Those are the big cow states were, in Montana for instance, there's 4 cows for every citizen.
So lots of big ranches there that need vets i quess. There's no place in europe were ranches are as big as in the US.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
For livestock in USA, to be more specifically, i would say Wyoming, Montana, Kansas, Florida, Texas. Those are the big cow states were, in Montana for instance, there's 4 cows for every citizen.
So lots of big ranches there that need vets i quess. There's no place in europe were ranches are as big as in the US.
The ranches have been replaced by feedlots, which don't have much use for vets.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:09 AM

32,539 posts, read 47,631,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
I guess I should've been more specific-a vet for Vivarium Pets(birds, reptiles, amphibians, etc. ). I thought Australia would have the most opportunity for that sort of vet( alot of Vivarium pets are from Aussie)
For that specialty, I would guess that it would be someplace where you can get a job at a large zoo. I don't think that there is any place where there are enough pet owners of reptiles that are willing to pay high fees to maintain the health of the reptile.

Owners of expensive birds will pay but there are a limited number of owners who have expensive birds.

An area with gigantic egg or poultry production farms would use a bird vet. Personally, I suspect that is a nasty job. Most of those are in the USA, southeastern coastal states.

It's difficult to guess, though. I was just at John Day, Oregon, a place with a population of about 5,000 people, and they have the biggest and fanciest vet building that I've ever seen. I assume to serve the local cattle industry that appears to produce a lot of high quality registered cattle. I wouldn't have guessed it to be a place where a vet could make a generous income, yet, there it is.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:20 AM

32,539 posts, read 47,631,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The ranches have been replaced by feedlots, which don't have much use for vets.
The ranches have not been replaced by feedlots. All cattle in the USA and Canada live on pasture until they are about 800 pounds and then some of them, not all of them, are finished in feedlots.

Feedlots all have a veterinarian on call. Feedlot cattle are very carefully looked after. A sick or dying cow is a huge financial loss. A cow that even sniffles is immediately isolated and given the best vet care.

Not only do the feedlots use vets, but the USDA has full time veterinarians whose only job is to constantly monitor feedlots and livestock auctions. Plus the government also has a full time employee called a brand inspector, whose job is to look for stolen livestock, and he also monitors health, although he doesn't necessarily need to be a licensed veterinarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World