Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:01 PM

896 posts, read 1,864,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlett mom View Post
Canada is part of the North American continent, not America.
Oh? Who moved Canada away from the continent of America, and when did this happen?

Here in Europe, we were taught about six continents - North, Central and South America are combined to form a single America. Therefore, the six continents are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, and Europe.

And now Canada is not part of America?

Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Oh? Who moved Canada away from the continent of America, and when did this happen?

Here in Europe, we were taught about six continents - North, Central and South America are combined to form a single America. Therefore, the six continents are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, and Europe.

Maybe it's the revenge of Leif Erikson, who's [re]claimed Canada for Iceland.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Xil

118 posts, read 274,267 times
Quote:

I don't anybody can decide how many continents there are. I found a few forums where people were arguing over whether there are 4,5,6 or 7 continents. I guess it depends on how you count them & where you were taught

Old 08-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Well, as my country is not physically joined to any other I think we should get continent status.

I live in Ireland.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:57 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,869 times
Quote:

You got it right, Canada is NOT part of America.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
You got it right, Canada is NOT part of America.
And pray tell.... Canada is part of which continent?

Old 08-02-2007, 05:48 PM

268 posts, read 1,199,975 times
Northsider:

I understand that is what they teach in Europe. However, students in the U.S., and probably Canada and Mexico as well, are taught that there are seven continents. North and South America are viewed as separate continents, not one combined continent of America. Thus, Canada, Mexico, and the U.S. share the continent of North America.

As to who is right or wrong about how many continents there really are, I'll let the geographers debate that one.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:25 AM

Wink Seven Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeCalifornia View Post
As to who is right or wrong about how many continents there really are, I'll let the geographers debate that one.
While the number of continents marches along its endless debate (is it seven, eight?), the number of seas is surely not a question. For as long as I can remember, I've heard about "The Seven Seas." Problem is, I can never name all seven. I get to The Black, The White, The Red, The Dead, and the well runs dry. What are the other three? South China Sea, ok, two to go. Anyone?

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-03-2007 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: it's its, when will I learn?

Old 08-03-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
For as long as I can remember, I've heard about "The Seven Seas." Problem is, I can never name all seven. I get to The Black, The White, The Red, The Dead, and the well runs dry. What are the other three? South China Sea, ok, two to go. Anyone?
Okay I admit that I cheated by Googling and here's what came up:

To the ancients, "seven" often meant "many," and before the fifteenth century, the many seas of the world were:

the Red Sea
the Mediterranean Sea
the Persian Gulf
the Black Sea
the Adriatic Sea
the Caspian Sea
the Indian Ocean

Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Okay I admit that I cheated by Googling and here's what came up:

To the ancients, "seven" often meant "many," and before the fifteenth century, the many seas of the world were:

the Red Sea
the Mediterranean Sea
the Persian Gulf
the Black Sea
the Adriatic Sea
the Caspian Sea
the Indian Ocean

Well, I was way off! No White Sea, no Dead Sea, not even a South China Sea. I thought that would be one of them for sure. To add insult to injury, the list throws in a Gulf and an Ocean! No wonder I'm always stuck trying to name The Seven Seas.

Nice job, northsider. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World