Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:00 PM

11 posts, read 30,170 times

Advertisements

america just isnt doing it for me..dont like it much here.im looking to go to college then live and work in a area that:

-is a pedestrian friendly city (walking,biking,public transport; NOT angry rush hour drivers)

-easygoing people to become friends with

-where id be able to find a job in interior design

-has lots of shops & parks

-always has something to do

-is decently affordable (considering ill be going to college and living there immediatly after college too)

language isnt a barrier, im open to learning almost any language.if a city meets any of the cirteria listed above, tell me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 PM

288 posts, read 350,681 times
With exception of affordability and easygoing people I'd expect that any Western European country will do.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:49 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,604,320 times
Well, you need a place that has a lot of wealthy people who can afford the services of an interior designer. Most middle class people still look at that as a luxury. Are you willing to learn the design aesthetics of a completely different culture? In other words, not European? Perhaps Asia might be a place for you. China is an economic up and comer. And of course cities like Dubai have more money than they know what to do with, but I don't know that I'd want to be a single female there. Europe might be the easiest palce to fit in style wise, but not at all affordable for a student.
Still, I say go for it! Living abroad would be an incredible experience whether you eventually move back to the US or not. Go for your dreams, even if seems impossible or impracticle. Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:37 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,315,245 times
Quote:
Europe might be the easiest palce to fit in style wise, but not at all affordable for a student.
Well you have to consider the tuition fees are very low in Western European countries, in some places they don't have tution fees at all. As a result you may have notable higher living costs as a student but you save lots of $$$ you would have to spend for college here in the US. For 6 Semesters in Germany I have spent the same amount of money for university as for 1 Semester in the USA... and I haven't been to Ivy leage etc.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:47 PM

wow! yes ive heard education in germany is alot lower... do you know of any colleges in the berlin area that have courses taught mainly in english? and then take a german course

the type of interior design i'd like to do is commercial, so as far as having an area with alot of people who have enough $$$ to spend on that doesnt matter, as id like to design the interior of stores,resturaunts,malls,etc

and yes im type who if i set my mind on something, i go out and do it, i just need to figure out where i want to go first

Old 03-06-2011, 02:48 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,604,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Well you have to consider the tuition fees are very low in Western European countries, in some places they don't have tution fees at all. As a result you may have notable higher living costs as a student but you save lots of $$$ you would have to spend for college here in the US. For 6 Semesters in Germany I have spent the same amount of money for university as for 1 Semester in the USA... and I haven't been to Ivy leage etc.
Wow, I didn't know that...but isn't it hard to get a work permit in EU? Or are the rules different for students?

Old 03-06-2011, 03:09 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,315,245 times
Actually I don't know a lot about work permits etc. because I am an EU citizen and I don't have any problems with that.
I guess a student visa and a student work permit should not be that difficult to get and later as a professional with a college degree you are more than welcome.
I am not sure whether there is a possibility to study interior design in Berlin or not. There is a private school in Hamburg but it looks like it is very expensive (not state-run). http://www.hs-amdnet.de/index.php?eID=tx_nawsecuredl&u=0&file=fileadmin/Dateien_Hamburg/Englisch/RD-1.pdf&t=1299539208&hash=a6edb015b9fa7edd49c9a8b7f3 e398bd (broken link)

I am pretty sure there must be some state run schools anywhere else in the country but unfortunately I don't know of any. Other European countries might be good as well.

Last edited by Douglas Dakota; 03-06-2011 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 AM

985 posts, read 1,844,522 times
Language is always a barrier if you have to learn it first. I doubt it that there are any interor design courses in continentel Europe where English is the language of instruction.

Anyway, here is a list of all German universities offering degrees in interior design.

studienwahl.de - FINDER >>

Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,301,623 times
Actually, I believe the OP stated that she would be finishing her studies in the US first, then plans to move abroad. So not sure why the thread shifted to design courses in Europe offered in English.

To the OP: can you prioritize your list of demands, to get a better picture of which cities to recommend?

Old 03-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Actually, I believe the OP stated that she would be finishing her studies in the US first, then plans to move abroad. So not sure why the thread shifted to design courses in Europe offered in English.

To the OP: can you prioritize your list of demands, to get a better picture of which cities to recommend?
sorry ill try to reword this better

i would like to do 2 years of study locally in/around my hometown
then for the next 2 years go off to...who knows where
or would studying abroad be cheaper?
but after college for sure, id like to move

barcelona seems like such an amazing city with warm humid weather and beaches (im used to humidity..trust me im from jersey). having a vibrant city full of art right next to a beach would be absolutely amazing

however i head spain is at 30% unemployment right now so hopefully it recovers in the next couple years..not too sure tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World