Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:24 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times

Advertisements

As a mixed race Australian (Chinese/Scottish) I usually look and sound similar enough to their idea of an Australian that I don't really get a surprised reaction when they know of my nationality.

I've noticed in Singapore/Malaysia a few people asking me if I'm from England.

I've also been asked on 2 separate occasions by German tourists whether I was German
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
I was once asked if I was American when I was abroad as a teen.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
That's the difference between New World countries and old world countries.
And that's how I see it.
The previous poster however considers any point of view different from his/her as "foolish" and outdated.
But since the Old World is not "outdated" yet... it is what it is.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,588 times
There's a Polish community in Toronto. Repeatedly, I've had people approach me and speak Polish to me. I didn't think anything of it until the topic came up at work. White co-workers haven't had anyone try to speak to them in Polish, but I've had that happen not just in Toronto, but in other cities. Apparently, I look Polish. I was born in England and all of my family are English. My accent is a big give away. It's just when I'm silent that it happens. I'm not sure I could look at a person and guess if they were Polish or not. There are other eastern European nationalities here. I'm left wondering why Czechs and Ukrainians don't make the same mistake. Don't they look similar to Polish?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:01 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And that's how I see it.
The previous poster however considers any point of view different from his/her as "foolish" and outdated.
But since the Old World is not "outdated" yet... it is what it is.
I am sorry if you got that impression, I certainly do not consider anybodys opinion as 'foolish', if that is how I came accross I apologise. I do think it is a little outdated though - sure when immigrants arrive in to a country their 'way of thinking' may be different, but you have to realise that most people in the UK who have black skin have been born in the UK in fact so have most of their parents, my kids were born in Crawley, their mother was born in Crawley, their grandmother was born in London, only their grandfather was born overseas and for this reason, like all the other kids of all ethnicities at their school they are VERY English in the way they act, think, talk and spend their leasure time.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I know what you mean! Do you know what I get the impresion that a lot of mainland Europeans dont consider black British people to be British (I am finding this very thing on a seperate thread right now!)
You know what? A lot of white British themselves do not consider black British, french, Spanish, Germans etc to be British, French, Spanish, Germans... either.

The idea that you seem to spread endlessly that "us British are so multiracial and mixed... that is so different to those Europeans from the continent...".
Outside of London and some other cities, the UK is still very white, even if you might think that all the country is like London's urban area.
Do you know which is the only European country where in my life I experienced racism because of our dark features? good guess, that is precicely you "so-racially tolerant" England (in the city of Bath where I never seen a non-white person for three weeks). Well, my wife is french of not of full European descent by the way...

Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I am sorry if you got that impression, I certainly do not consider anybodys opinion as 'foolish', if that is how I came accross I apologise. I do think it is a little outdated though - sure when immigrants arrive in to a country their 'way of thinking' may be different, but you have to realise that most people in the UK who have black skin have been born in the UK in fact so have most of their parents, my kids were born in Crawley, their mother was born in Crawley, their grandmother was born in London, only their grandfather was born overseas and for this reason, like all the other kids of all ethnicities at their school they are VERY English in the way they act, think, talk and spend their leasure time.
I doubt that your kids are "black" if only 1 of the grandparents is from overseas. Unless you apply the "one drop rule". My daugther has native American grandmother, I wouldn't consider my daughter to be "native American" or even "not white".

Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I doubt that your kids are "black" if only 1 of the grandparents is from overseas. Unless you apply the "one drop rule". My daugther has native American grandmother, I wouldn't consider my daughter to be "native American" or even "not white".
This is exactly the point I am trying to make, as a comparison my kids are the same colour as Denzil Washington, in fact one is slightly 'darker' than the other - why do you think just because only 1 grandparent was from overseas then they have to be 'white'? Black people have lived in Britain for several generations now - that is why it annoys me when some Europeans seem to think that being black means you cannot be 'British'!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
You know what? A lot of white British themselves do not consider black British, french, Spanish, Germans etc to be British, French, Spanish, Germans... either.

The idea that you seem to spread endlessly that "us British are so multiracial and mixed... that is so different to those Europeans from the continent...".
Outside of London and some other cities, the UK is still very white, even if you might think that all the country is like London's urban area.
Do you know which is the only European country where in my life I experienced racism because of our dark features? good guess, that is precicely you "so-racially tolerant" England (in the city of Bath where I never seen a non-white person for three weeks). Well, my wife is french of not of full European descent by the way...
Why do you keep saying this!!!! Aaaargh!! Just show me where I have said this!???? I have NOT stated this at any point!!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
This is exactly the point I am trying to make, as a comparison my kids are the same colour as Denzil Washington, in fact one is slightly 'darker' than the other - why do you think just because only 1 grandparent was from overseas then they have to be 'white'? Black people have lived in Britain for several generations now - that is why it annoys me when some Europeans seem to think that being black means you cannot be 'British'!!!
Do you realize that many British think exaclty the same way about black, french, Spanish, german, etc...? When we were in the UK, our B&B owners, when they knew my wife south-American origins began to stop considering her to be french! And presented her to other their guests as south-American. They just couldn't understand that a mestiza looking woman could be french... That was even worse with Americans or Spanish people where Mestizo-looking poeple are associated with low "ghettos immigrants"... Such thing never happened in France, where obviously everybody has always considered her to be fully french even when knowing here origins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World