U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2011, 05:25 PM

571 posts, read 1,132,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I've been asked if I am Italian/Spanish/Greek/Irish you name it. In the US many thought I was Hispanic... !
Those make sense. What part of Italy is your family from?

I'm not sure how someone would come up with Hispanic unless they meant someone from Latin America of predominant European origins. I highly doubt you look like an average Latin American mestizo.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 PM

870 posts, read 733,798 times
At Four Corners, in Utah where I live, the Native American salesperson asked if I was Australian! Does a Utah accent actually sound Australian?

The Chinese knew I was American, but other Americans are easily confused it seems.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:49 PM

19,126 posts, read 11,007,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian88 View Post
Quite a few people in Scandinavia have thought that I'm an Englishman despite the fact that I'm American and speak with an American west-coast accent. One person even introduced me to someone else as an Englishman even though she had already mistaken me for one before and I had corrected her before. I don't know why but I think it has to do with poor recognition of different accents within the English speaking world among most middle-aged Scandinavians (it's never been a young person who's done this, yet).

I think it's kind of fun... so far every time I've been assumed to be English I have automatically corrected them, but after I correct them I sometimes think it would be fun to just let them think I'm English.

That's too funny......... I live in NH USA, and in Nebraska was taken for a Englishman. They even thought New Hampshire was a part of England. Once it was sort of, but...... no more

Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM

157 posts, read 243,186 times
I quite often get mistaken as German. This happened in Spain and Portugal, but also in my own country, USA! Other Americans have asked if I'm German or English because of my voice (zuh? how can you not recognize your own countryman?); in Europe other Americans, Moroccans, Spanish and even some Germans were sure that I was from Germany just going by my appearance. One Moroccan insisted that I was German and not American because I have blue eyes! Back here in Southern Indiana when I started working at my current job a couple coworkers came up to me and nervously asked "what is your...ethnicity?" One said he thought I had to be Dutch or German. "I'm from the state next to you!" I wanted to shout--yeesh. I don't get offended though, I just think it's amusing.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM

11,025 posts, read 5,760,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post

I'm not sure how someone would come up with Hispanic unless they meant someone from Latin America of predominant European origins. I highly doubt you look like an average Latin American mestizo.
The south -- like most of those who came to Australia ... Calabria & Abruzzo

I don't think I do either...I am sure they meant Latin American with Euro

Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM

11,025 posts, read 5,760,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
At Four Corners, in Utah where I live, the Native American salesperson asked if I was Australian! Does a Utah accent actually sound Australian?

The Chinese knew I was American, but other Americans are easily confused it seems.
haha I don't think so... We get lumped with all sorts of accents.. Its particularly funny to hear some people think they're doing a good imitation...

Old 03-21-2011, 06:59 PM

571 posts, read 1,132,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
The south -- like most of those who came to Australia ... Calabria & Abruzzo

I don't think I do either...I am sure they meant Latin American with Euro
Moderator cut: Use DM to contact the member for off topic discussions, please

Americans tend to think anyone with tan skin and darker features and a little bit exotic looking is Hispanic, even if they really don't look like your average Latin American. But remember a lot of people in Uruguay, Argentina, even a few in Puerto Rico are in fact of partial Italian descent! But if people specifically asked if you were Mexican, that's just ignorance IMO.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-22-2011 at 12:08 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,767,582 times
I am a mixture of various European nationalities: dad is primarily Portuguese, mother is French/English. Other than having blue eyes, I have dark features and olive-colored skin. When I lived in Spain, most people with whom I interacted spoke to me in Spanish. I quickly realized I was able to blend in fairly well with Spaniards, until of course I spoke after which everyone could detect my American accent. It was always funny to see the split second of confusion in people's eyes once they realized I wasn't Spanish.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 PM

18,511 posts, read 8,671,148 times
It depends on where I am and who's asking.

To the Brits, they thought I was Sicilian.
To most Americans, they also think south Italian
To Spaniards, some think I'm from Venezuela, some think I'm from Andalusia.
To Latin Americans, some think I'm one of those white Mexicans, others think I'm from Venezuela or Colombia.

The correct answer is, ~75% Spanish (50% Galician, 50% Andalusia Castilian), 25% German, ~1% indigenous. Native of Puerto Rico

Old 03-22-2011, 04:50 AM

230 posts, read 424,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post

It's pretty easy to come up with Hispanic since there are many Hispanics who are not "average Latin American mestizo". Parts of Latin America have more people of Italian decent than the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World