Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 10:59 AM

174 posts, read 638,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
I get it all the time even when not traveling. Racially, I'm caucasian & asian, but looks wise I look nothing like it. People in Texas mistake me for being Chicano, I flew into DFW and went to buy a Snapple at a shop and the girl at the counter spoke spanish to me, I'm like I'm sorry I don't speak spanish lol so she apologizes. Chicanos in El Paso asked me if I was Chicano lol, so they're surprised when I'm just white/asian.

My old high school Vice Principal asked me if I was native American lol. When I lived in Germany, people would ask if I was Turkish lol. I was walking down the street one day and some American soldiers on the other side of the street when I hear one of them say "I didn't know they had Mexicans in Germany" lmao.

The last time I was in Frankfurt a guy asked me what ethnicity I was, he told me I look European/Arab. In Amsterdam, the Moroccans thought I was white/middle eastern.

Now I'm in the southeast USA where everyone just thinks I'm Mexican which is a negative thing since they're the ones following Arizona in writing immigration laws targeting Mexicans.
omg, i know what you mean. I'm 3/4 Chinese-Malay & 1/4 White.
I'm too Caucasian to be a Chinese, but too Chinese to be Caucasian.
But to myself, I always consider my heritage as Chinese since it's the dominant one.
When I traveled around Southeast Asia, I got mistaken to be European. Even in my own country.
But when I came here in the US just last month. My cousin who I met for the first time, and her friends said I look like Iranian.
The driver's license guy, thought I was Mexican.
And the fellow Asians here, thought I was Korean-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 01:17 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,804,489 times
English.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 PM

2,043 posts, read 2,890,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
Russian girls like to enjoy life to the fullest, they like to take care of themselves, dress up and feel good about themselves, and not sacrifice their body for pizza and hamburgers. No wonder they are considered some of the most beautiful women in the world.

On the other hand, when my sister's husband came to the US and saw the american women, he was puzzled about how American men find them attractive.

By the way, there are plenty of Russian women, who are very frugal. They like to cook from scratch (like making their own home-made bread) and are very crafty - they like to sew their own clothes and knit. This is not debatable, this was passed down by generations of Russian women, and wasn't lost due to their environment of limited economic resources.
Um, replace "pizza and hamburgers" with "cigarettes and more cigarettes"; just because a person is thin does not make them healthy. One reason there are so many Russian/Ukrainian models is because many of them are quite tall and slender; however, come to Russia and check out women over the age of 40--that youthful illusion at any cost indeed comes at a price. Of course, since men here either knock off at 55, or have the cash to find themselves an 19 year-old to supplement/replace their domestic partners, it probably doesn't matter how women look at 45.

By the way, there are plenty of attractive women in America just like there are plenty of unattractive girls in Russia. Wearing mini-skirts up to one's navel and spending two hours on make-up to run to the produkti for some flour is not attractive for everyone; however it does seem to excite the lowest denominator of foreign men and foreign sailors on shore leave, of which there are plenty of examples here. Girls go for them in the hope that they will sweep them away to the land of milk, honey, and Gucci emporiums; unbeknownst to the girls, most of these guys couldn't buy a date on Sunset in the US.

Regarding expensive (mostly knock-off) "brands": Many Russian women--with their ridiculous high heels, dreadful furs, and D&G everything--are proof positive that one cannot buy taste

My (Russian) wife is far from frugal , but she can knit. However, these skills are being lost to younger generations; after reading your post, I asked eight of my female Russian colleagues how many could knit: The only one who could do so is also the only one over the age of 30. It's a shame because it's a valuable, and cool, skill.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:13 PM

940 posts, read 1,927,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Um, replace "pizza and hamburgers" with "cigarettes and more cigarettes"; just because a person is thin does not make them healthy. One reason there are so many Russian/Ukrainian models is because many of them are quite tall and slender; however, come to Russia and check out women over the age of 40--that youthful illusion at any cost indeed comes at a price. Of course, since men here either knock off at 55, or have the cash to find themselves an 19 year-old to supplement/replace their domestic partners, it probably doesn't matter how women look at 45.

By the way, there are plenty of attractive women in America just like there are plenty of unattractive girls in Russia. Wearing mini-skirts up to one's navel and spending two hours on make-up to run to the produkti for some flour is not attractive for everyone; however it does seem to excite the lowest denominator of foreign men and foreign sailors on shore leave, of which there are plenty of examples here. Girls go for them in the hope that they will sweep them away to the land of milk, honey, and Gucci emporiums; unbeknownst to the girls, most of these guys couldn't buy a date on Sunset in the US.

Regarding expensive (mostly knock-off) "brands": Many Russian women--with their ridiculous high heels, dreadful furs, and D&G everything--are proof positive that one cannot buy taste

My (Russian) wife is far from frugal , but she can knit. However, these skills are being lost to younger generations; after reading your post, I asked eight of my female Russian colleagues how many could knit: The only one who could do so is also the only one over the age of 30. It's a shame because it's a valuable, and cool, skill.
Fur and high heels may not be your taste, however fur is a necessity and a cultural tradition, which is due to the climate. Heels are just a habit. I wore heels to high school, as many other girls, and I brought my sneakers in a bag for gym. Those are just cultural elements, typical to Russia, just like Brazilian jeans are typical to Brazil.

Make-up is important, because you don't want to be the only one without make-up at the grocery store.

However, since I live in the US I don't usually worry about make-up, heels and furs, unless, of course I am going out with my Russian girlfriends...

Cooking, sewing and knitting were taught in school, but I don't know if that's the case anymore.

The smoking situation is awful, as is the drinking, which will hopefully improve with time.

Women over 45 have the same challenges in any country.

I too think, there are attractive girls in the US, just presenting a Russian guy's perspective, although I do think Russian girls are more attractive.

Anyway, you can't argue with me against Russian girls, you are married to one

Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 2,890,889 times
No, the fact that I'm married to a Russian girl is what gives me the right to complain about them!
;-D

Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,108,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
After about age 40 they sacrifice themselves to too much borscht and vodka......
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
........Wearing mini-skirts up to one's navel and spending two hours on make-up to run to the produkti for some flour is not attractive for everyone; .....
It is for me! Bring on the borsht and vodka. Double woohooo!! I'm what the Aussies call "bogan". How much d'yall think a Russian woman would pay for American citizenship?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 PM

62 posts, read 61,924 times
I'm originally from Hawaii and like most from here we are total mutts lol. I'm 1/4 Native Hawaiian 1/4 Portuguese 1/4 Filipino and the last 1/4 is a combo of English Irish and German so my looks are pretty spread across the board. In the US, anywhere on the West coast people are able to identify that I'm some kind of mixed pacific islander because there are so many that live here but when traveling to other parts of the country most people think I'm some kind of Latino, mostly Mexican.

I was just in Europe this summer and people had no idea what I was, my friends I was traveling with said it was really funny walking behind me in crowds because they said everyone would look at me with a sort of curious and confused look like "where is this guy from?" we joked about it the entire trip. We were at a bar in Ibiza and this table of guys right next to us literally were like "what do you guys think he is?!?" "I have no idea..." "he must be asian, yea definitely asian." They must have assumed I didn't speak English cause they were talking pretty loud lol, I should have said something but didn't and me and my friends just sat there cracking up. Although by glance people couldn't tell what I was, if I spoke to them they instantly knew I was American and I'm pretty good at covering up my Hawaii accent so I sound pretty American.

When I was in Japan they never really made a big deal about it but I assumed they all knew I was American.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,788,565 times
Why are people are obsessed with where you are from, it's kind of annoying. Friendly inquiry is one thing, but then they make all kinds of assumptions about you .

Old 05-11-2012, 11:31 PM

4,153 posts, read 4,394,540 times
When I've travelled to Europe I've had locals and tourists approach me to ask for directions as if I'm a native. This occured on more than a few occasions mostly northern and eastern europe. That is my heritage so perhaps it is just appearances. On most occasions I respond initially in the local language in basic conversation (no I am not local / from here etc..) but if I speak at length in my great lakes american english dialect they quickly realize I'm not local.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,253,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
The south -- like most of those who came to Australia ... Calabria & Abruzzo
Haha. Good stuff. Based on a post where you fleshed out my observations of Torino (Turin), I would have said Piemonte and somewhere in the south, like Puglia.

Ditto here. Both parents came from Italy. We don't look at all "stereotypical." My parents both have dark hair, with my Dad having blue eyes and my Mom green ones. My Dad was only slightly olive. My Mom is pale. I pass more for dark Irish, dark English or French when I'm traveling in Europe. In Portugal, it's English, especially if you order tea at the breakfast buffet. In the south of Italy, it's English or French. I illegally ran across some railroad tracks instead of using the underpass, and the station guard was yelling "Monsieur, monsieur." I bolted, because I didn't want a fine. In the north of Italy, I'm fine. It's refreshing to be addressed in Italian. The only thing that p!$$ed me off is when I was in Sardinia one September. The Cagliari city bus went around a corner. I was standing up and almost took a fall. This one local guy said something to me in German. That didn't sit well. I very quickly told him, in Italian, that I wasn't German and that I was raised in the US, but my parents had immigrated from Italy. He looked apologetic. What people in tourist areas do is stereotype by appearance and the month of the year you are there. I've been told Germans tend to travel in September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World