Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 AM

994 posts, read 1,823,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Brazilian or European Portuguese? Most people say European Portuguese sounds ugly, but maybe only because they don't understand anything
I was referring to Brazilian Portuguese. I haven't heard too much of European Portuguese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 PM

614 posts, read 3,200,000 times
I think Brazilian Portuguese, because of its drawn out vowels and slow-sounding speech, sounds a lot less educated and classy than European Portuguese.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Ne0

4 posts, read 23,859 times
Another vote for Brazilian Portuguese. The best place to hear it is CAFÉ BRASIL, where you can find the wonderful podcasts of Luciano Pires, with fantastic music too!

Moderator cut: link removed, please read the tos

Last edited by Yac; 06-17-2011 at 01:54 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 06:24 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,110,094 times
Mandarin, but only if you don't understand Mandarin.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:15 PM

994 posts, read 1,823,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I think Brazilian Portuguese, because of its drawn out vowels and slow-sounding speech, sounds a lot less educated and classy than European Portuguese.
I can't comment on the comparison, but to my ears Brazilian Portuguese sounds so rhythmic and melodic. I mean just the way they say oxygen or radio I love!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,715,901 times
Well, all this is confused by accent. I would not put English at the top of the list, but I like Irish accented English, and my personal favorite is English spoken by an African whose main language is French. When you role the AfroFranco inflection into English, it sounds great.

I am a fan of the romance, celtic, and scandinavian languages for flow and melody. Except Danish, and some Spanish accents, they can get a bit too throaty for me. I like it when the sounds come from the front of the mouth (like Swedish and Norwegian).

Old 06-16-2011, 11:47 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,878,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igneel View Post
I like Italian, Germany, Spanish, English, French.
I don't like Vietnamese (sounded shrill), Cantonese, Korean (sounds rude), Thai (when guys speak sounds like woman), Tagalog (too many "ng" sounds).
Well, I agree with Vietnamese and Korean as some of the least beautiful languages.

However, I disagree with Thai, and Cantonese Chinese.
I think they are some of the most beautiful languages.

Come on, when guys speak Thai they don't sound like women.
Most males that speak Thai still sound like males.

I also disagree with you about German, Spanish, and Italian. I think German, Spanish, and Italian are some of the least beautiful languages.

This was my list for most beautiful and least beautiful sounding languages:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
The most beautiful sounding languages to me are French, American English, Mandarin Chinese, Thai, Japanese, British English, Hindi Indian, Swedish, Icelandic, Romanian, Danish, and Norweigan.

The ugliest sounding languages to me are German, Albanian/Serbian/Bosnian, Korean, Russian, Arabic, Dutch, Irish/Irish english, Spanish, Italian, Vietnamese, Hungarian, and Mongolian.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I agree that it seems to sound a lot less educated and classy than European Portuguese and for plenty of reasons.
This is also true with Central/South American spanish for most countries there compared to European spanish.

However, I still don't see how Spanish(Spain spanish or Central/Southern American) and Portuguese(Portugal Portuguese and Brazlian Portuguese) are some of the most beautiful sounding languages in the world. I disagree.

How do you feel about my list for most beautiful and least beautiful sounding languages?(It is in my post above this one).

Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 PM

I am surprised nobody mentioned Swedish, Hindi Indian, Norweigan, Danish, and Icelandic yet for some of the most beautiful sounding languages.

It also seems like nobody mentioned Arabic, Albanian, Bosnian, Serbian, Hungarian as some of the least beautiful languages which is surprising.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:11 AM

624 posts, read 1,118,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
I am surprised nobody mentioned Swedish, Hindi Indian, Norweigan, Danish, and Icelandic yet for some of the most beautiful sounding languages.

It also seems like nobody mentioned Arabic, Albanian, Bosnian, Serbian, Hungarian as some of the least beautiful languages which is surprising.
Serbian is not an ugly language but Hungarian is awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World